Need Input On Cloud Backup Using Carbonite

George Costanza

A Friendly Liberal
Mar 10, 2009
Los Angeles area.
Has anyone used this backup program? I just plunked down a Ben for a one-year shot at backing up my files in the Cloud, using Carbonite. I think it's the real deal - otherwise, I wouldn't have flashed my card.

But I would like to know if anyone else has any experience with this outfit and, if so, how do you like it?

Has anyone used this backup program? I just plunked down a Ben for a one-year shot at backing up my files in the Cloud, using Carbonite. I think it's the real deal - otherwise, I wouldn't have flashed my card.

But I would like to know if anyone else has any experience with this outfit and, if so, how do you like it?
My daughter uses it and has had no problem.

If you're just backing up documents and not too much data, it should work fine. However, if you're backing up hundreds of gigs or you want to be able to restore your computer if you lose all your data and applications, I prefer a backup application such as Ghost. It's not as easy to use and you'll need an external drive to hold your backups. I have used Ghost for years and have restored many hardrives as well as invidual fines with no problem. Ghost runs on XP through Windows 8.

The most important thing about a backup application is not the backup, it's the restore.

If you're just backing up documents and not too much data, it should work fine. However, if you're backing up hundreds of gigs or you want to be able to restore your computer if you lose all your data and applications, I prefer a backup application such as Ghost. It's not as easy to use and you'll need an external drive to hold your backups. I have used Ghost for years and have restored many hardrives as well as invidual fines with no problem. Ghost runs on XP through Windows 8.

The most important thing about a backup application is not the backup, it's the restore.

I am backing up data files (WordPerfect), photo files and music files. Glad to hear your daughter has not had a bad experience with it - that's at least something.

Several weeks ago, I thought my computer had crashed. It has an external hard drive, but using the software that comes with it is very difficult, and I'm not sure I was adequately backed up. So I hunted around to find something that would do the job for me, i.e., user friendly. Carbonite seems to be the system for me.

But it takes FOREVER to do the backup. I am going into Day 2 and am only a little over halfway there. The good news is, it runs quietly in the background and doesn't interfere with regular computer operation. Only downside is, when you are using your computer, it slows down the backup accordingly.

Once the download is complete, however, updating it (done daily) only takes a few minutes, because the only updates added will be new stuff you did or changes made to existing files.

I feel secure with Carbonite. They have a great support system. I had one thing I didn't understand. You go to their online chat and tech guy can come onto your computer and help you out. Pretty neat.

I am backing up data files (WordPerfect), photo files and music files. Glad to hear your daughter has not had a bad experience with it - that's at least something.

Several weeks ago, I thought my computer had crashed. It has an external hard drive, but using the software that comes with it is very difficult, and I'm not sure I was adequately backed up. So I hunted around to find something that would do the job for me, i.e., user friendly. Carbonite seems to be the system for me.

But it takes FOREVER to do the backup. I am going into Day 2 and am only a little over halfway there. The good news is, it runs quietly in the background and doesn't interfere with regular computer operation. Only downside is, when you are using your computer, it slows down the backup accordingly.

Once the download is complete, however, updating it (done daily) only takes a few minutes, because the only updates added will be new stuff you did or changes made to existing files.

I feel secure with Carbonite. They have a great support system. I had one thing I didn't understand. You go to their online chat and tech guy can come onto your computer and help you out. Pretty neat.
I asked my daughter about how the restore works. She said it was no problem. She had lost a term paper and restored it with no problem. However, she has never had to restore the whole hard drive.

I've used Carbonite for years and am very happy with it.

Restoring is easy. I just call them and they walk me through the process.

Once I took my computer in for repairs and when I called to check on it I discovered they failed to back up my favorites prior to cleaning the hard drive. I told them I was devastated because I had several hundred favorites which took years to accumulate. About half an hour later they called me back and said they found out I had Carbonite and they were able to restore all my favorites using this program. I thought Carbonite only backed up document files, but I was wrong.

One of the best things about Carbonite is that when you talk to one of their representatives you can understand them. About a year or so ago, Carbonite made a commitment to hire representatives who lived in the USA. From what I understand, most - if not all - their representatives now live in the USA. It makes for much better communications.

I use it to back up all my business server files every night.

I love it.

I also have the mirror image drive saved and stashed in a safe deposit box.

I use it to back up all my business server files every night.

I love it.

I also have the mirror image drive saved and stashed in a safe deposit box.

Yes, you get mirror image with the subscription I have and as soon as I finish uploading my files, I intend to use mirror image. Mirror image, as I understand it, is like a recovery disk for your entire system. General backup only involves data files, music files, etc. It does not involve system files. If you want to do that, it's mirror image.

You can back up everything at home for free and be safe.

Yes, you can. Just set up a backup folder on an external disk, and then copy whatever files you want into that folder. If it's an external disk, you can back up everything at home for free (except for the cost of the external disk) and you can be safe.

HOWEVER . . . there is more to backing up files than just doing it once. You have to do it regularly, to keep everything current. That means once a day, optimally. Here is where what you are talking about begins to break down, because NO ONE has the discipline to do that. That's where programs such as Carbonite fill the bill so adequately. They do it for you, automatically, on a daily basis.

Also, consider this - you back up everything to an external disk. Where do you keep the external disk? In my case, it is part of my tower - it slides into a special place in the tower. For most, it is kept near to the computer, for ease of backing up whenever you want to do it. Few have the discipline to cart it off to a safe somewhere and then go and get it again when it's time to back up once more. Now, someone enters your house and steals a lot of stuff, including your computer and your external hard disk. Game over.

Last edited:
One of the best things about Carbonite is that when you talk to one of their representatives you can understand them. About a year or so ago, Carbonite made a commitment to hire representatives who lived in the USA. From what I understand, most - if not all - their representatives now live in the USA. It makes for much better communications.

Today, I had to call Carbonite with a few questions. Their menu is short and easy to navigate. I had to wait maybe one minute to talk to a human. The human I talked to could be understood. DID YOU HEAR THAT? HE COULD BE FLIPPING UNDERSTOOD!!!! Totally amazing. First time that has happened to me.

Furthermore, he opened the conversation by not only giving me his name, but telling me he was in Maine. MAINE! USA! Not fucking BOMBAY!

Praise the Lord!

Forum List

Back