Nelson Mandela dead

Mandella was a modern day Moses freeing his people from oppression

Let my people go
Amen brother. Amen!

A great deal of the hate from folks against Mandela has to do with the fact that Reagan veto'd anti-apartheid measures, and was handed one of most crushing legislative defeats when his veto was over ridden. Apartheid and Mandela's role in its end exposed one of the major short comings of the way we fought the Cold War. Accepting Mandela means accepting we screwed up royally during the Cold War.

He was a great man and we are unlikely to his kind again in our lifetimes.
You're probably right.

They are just extremely angry because they know that that RW palooka Reagan doesn't hold a candle to a great man like Mandela. Reagan couldn't shine Mandela's shoes.

Nelson Mandela:
"For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others."

I remember the day he was released from prison. The first words out of his mouth were to thank the communist party of SA

CNN Live Event -- Streaming Now

This must be sad day for the ultra right, They will have to watch all those news shows on what a great man he was. Yes, I really think his influence in the US has encouraged many in the African American community to aspire to greater things. Take Obama as an example.

I know it must be painful for many in the TP also. Mandela was a man of integrity and strength. He faced injustice and held the dream in an eight by eight foot cell for years. He was a great man.

No, I'm saying that Nelson Mandela and the founding fathers are equivalent.

You are the one calling them terrorists.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Show me where I said that or shut the hell up..

It's pretty simple.

You claimed that Nelson Mandela was a "terrorist" for doing the same thing as the Founding Fathers. I did nothing other than point that fact out.

If you can articulate a reason why they're not comparable, feel free to do so.

I claimed and it's a fact that Mandela was a terrorist, before he was imprisoned.

I never claimed or "compared" that Washington was a terrorist, you and rightwinger did..

re-read posts 95, 112 & 120

Last edited:
With great change a revolution has to occur and with that comes unfortunate violence. Mandella was the Father of Democracy and led his people out from under an oppressive regime and extreme racism.

What happened there can be compared to the American Revolution.

Not quite. After the American Revolution there was a new nation in the world. After the Mandela revolution there was a new basket case.

Even though he was a communist to the day he died, he recognized one thing, South Africa without whites was going to be a terrible place so some had to be kept around.

Nelson Mandela spent 27 years in a South African prison. He could easily have chosen a path of revenge when he was released from prison and achieved power. Instead he chose the path of peace and brotherhood of all men. Those that hate him are speaking to their own demons, he exorcised his own demons. He was a great man that achieved great things with his life. Sad that the haters here cannot see their own cancerous mental problems.

Send him off with the baby boomer funeral song of choice. *even if we are a gen or three behind him*

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZQxH_8raCI]Spirit In The Sky Norman Greenbaum - YouTube[/ame]

R.I.P.

24zf43s.jpg

KING!

This is a memorial thread and should be respected as such.

"Off-topic posts may be edited, trashed, deleted, or moved to an appropriate forum as per administrator & moderator discretion at any time within any forum and/or sub forum. Additionally, All violations will be subject to action by an Admin/Mod. Action taken could range from a warning, to Infraction, to banning and will be at Admin/Mod discretion."

Can we stop politicizing this man's death please? Geez. Why do people feel the need to make politics out of death? He's one of the iconic figures of the 20th Century, and all we can do is how it impacts us politically? For pete's sakes, knock it off.

He was a communist.

That's a fact, junior.

Gonna have to suck it up and move on...
If he was a Communist, as you believe, why did't he institute Communism in South Africa? Why is South Africa the most stable, reliable ally of the United States on the entire continent of Africa?

You don't know what Communism is, do you? You just shout "Commie!" and everyone is supposed to buy the lie. Just like Joe McCarthy, the Father of the Conservative Asshole movement.

It's pretty simple.

You claimed that Nelson Mandela was a "terrorist" for doing the same thing as the Founding Fathers. I did nothing other than point that fact out.

If you can articulate a reason why they're not comparable, feel free to do so.

I would say that there are differences. Mandela and his people were persecuted, disenfranchised and regularly murdered to a degree that our forefathers were not. We moaned about not enough representation and taxes, while what was going on in apartheid SA was a continuing humanitarian horror carried out by the state.

Mandela committed crimes for which we would likely give the death penalty today (in the backward states that still kill those in chains). In his trial, he refused to deal as his lawyers wanted, instead making one of the more eloquent statements of justifiable defiance from the dock. Although there are reports of crimes during our revolutionary war period, its not the same as it would have been had Washington publicly stated that he was actively involved in planning and carrying out activities that we would label as terrorism.

Finally, he negotiated the freedom of his people while in jail, forgiving the numerous whites who had been murdering his people systematically and allowing them to remain as important figures in government and industry - something that is truly astounding and for which there is no analogy in our own history. This was an act so unique that it has inspired leaders around the world.

I'm not suggesting Mandela is lesser or greater.

But, these are important differences. We're dealing with terrorism today. We desperately need these examples of how terrorism can be resolved.

Nelson Mandela spent 27 years in a South African prison. He could easily have chosen a path of revenge when he was released from prison and achieved power. Instead he chose the path of peace and brotherhood of all men. Those that hate him are speaking to their own demons, he exorcised his own demons. He was a great man that achieved great things with his life. Sad that the haters here cannot see their own cancerous mental problems.

What a sweet thing to say, not the least bit hateful or hypocritical...:lol:

Here's some links...I'm willing to accept the Good and the Bad..I just don't see how that is wrong..

http://thebackbencher.co.uk/3-things-you-didnt-want-to-know-about-nelson-mandela/

http://www.thenewamerican.com/world-news/africa/item/15888-saint-mandela-not-so-fast

Last edited:

I don't understand how anyone could hate him. That's twisted. He fought against apparthied. How can that be wrong?

If blacks respect the peaceful ways of Mandela, why is South Africa the murder and rape capital of the world?

Does it not occur to you that if an entire society is oppressed and brutalized for some 300 years it will have a negative effect on them that will take generations to repair, sometimes a hundred years or more? What happens to individuals who are brutalized all their lives? They are totally fucked up. It's the same thing.

I work with several people from South Africa. They are not immigrants, they are working in the same country I am working in as foreign workers. They do admit there are problems there, but they also love their country and go 'home' during vacations. These people are white, black, and mixed race. South Africa is one of the most racially diverse countries on Earth, possibly the most racially diverse. There are problems that will not be solved in a couple of generations

Last edited:
If blacks respect the peaceful ways of Mandela, why is South Africa the murder and rape capital of the world?

Does it not occur to you that if an entire society is oppressed and brutalized for some 300 years it will have a negative effect on them that will take generations to repair, sometimes a hundred years or more?
A hundred years or more, well don't blame people for not wanting to be around blacks until they figure it out.

Can we stop politicizing this man's death please? Geez. Why do people feel the need to make politics out of death? He's one of the iconic figures of the 20th Century, and all we can do is how it impacts us politically? For pete's sakes, knock it off.

He was a communist.

That's a fact, junior.

Gonna have to suck it up and move on...

Coming from his situation, it is understandable why he had communist leanings.

Very few posts make me just drop my jaw in surprise any longer. Reading that one actually made me read it twice to double check. He was actually arguing in-favor of a system whereby you are legally less of a person than others because the economy was better.

Forum List

Back