Nelson Mandela dead

The Apartheid regime outlawed the ANC and trumped up charges against Mandela in order to imprison him. Others were not so lucky. They were beaten, tortured and thrown out of windows to their deaths. The daily violence perpetrated by the Apartheid regime was many times that of the ANC. The Apartheid regime ruled by violence and oppression.

The gifts that Mandela gave to the South African people went beyond just Freedom and Democracy. He gave them Truth, Reconciliation and Forgiveness too. By allowing both sides to confess to the horrors perpetrated against each other he allowed the Healing to begin.

Nelson Mandela was a personal hero of mine. His legacy of bringing freedom to 30 million people is something that will never be forgotten.

Thank you, Nelson, from the bottom of my heart for showing us all what it truly means to be a compassionate leader.

Rest In Peace.

Mandella was a modern day Moses freeing his people from oppression

Let my people go
Amen brother. Amen!

A great deal of the hate from folks against Mandela has to do with the fact that Reagan veto'd anti-apartheid measures, and was handed one of most crushing legislative defeats when his veto was over ridden. Apartheid and Mandela's role in its end exposed one of the major short comings of the way we fought the Cold War. Accepting Mandela means accepting we screwed up royally during the Cold War.

He was a great man and we are unlikely to his kind again in our lifetimes.
You're probably right.

They are just extremely angry because they know that that RW palooka Reagan doesn't hold a candle to a great man like Mandela. Reagan couldn't shine Mandela's shoes.

No question that Reagan misread the apartheid situation.........wrong side of history
Among other misreads.

Happy Nice Time song.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgcTvoWjZJU#t=165]The Specials - Nelson Mandela - YouTube[/ame]

Celebrate his life. He takes his place among the Greats of all the Ages.

Amen brother. Amen!

You're probably right.

They are just extremely angry because they know that that RW palooka Reagan doesn't hold a candle to a great man like Mandela. Reagan couldn't shine Mandela's shoes.

No question that Reagan misread the apartheid situation.........wrong side of history
Among other misreads.
Via Wonkette.

PolicyMic delves deep into the fight for Apartheid sanctions in Congress — and the 37 moderate Republican senators who joined with Dems to override Reagan’s veto.
Back in the Senate, Edward Kennedy chastised Republicans for Reagan’s actions:

“The Republican Party is at a crossroads. It must decide whether it wants to be the party of Lincoln or the party of apartheid.”

Under considerable pressure, Republican moderates rallied. Thirty-seven (37) out of 53 Republican senators joined their Democratic colleagues to pass the Comprehensive Anti-Apartheid Act over Reagan’s veto. Conservatives fumed, but they were powerless to stop the law from passing. It was the first time in the 20th century that a presidential veto on a foreign policy issue had been overturned.
My God, can you imagine?

Can we stop politicizing this man's death please? Geez. Why do people feel the need to make politics out of death? He's one of the iconic figures of the 20th Century, and all we can do is how it impacts us politically? For pete's sakes, knock it off.

He was a communist.

That's a fact, junior.

Gonna have to suck it up and move on...

obama orders flags flown at half staff for mandela but not for Margaret Thatcher

Among other misreads.
Via Wonkette.

PolicyMic delves deep into the fight for Apartheid sanctions in Congress — and the 37 moderate Republican senators who joined with Dems to override Reagan’s veto.

“The Republican Party is at a crossroads. It must decide whether it wants to be the party of Lincoln or the party of apartheid.”

Under considerable pressure, Republican moderates rallied. Thirty-seven (37) out of 53 Republican senators joined their Democratic colleagues to pass the Comprehensive Anti-Apartheid Act over Reagan’s veto. Conservatives fumed, but they were powerless to stop the law from passing. It was the first time in the 20th century that a presidential veto on a foreign policy issue had been overturned.
My God, can you imagine?

Imagine that....Republicans actually doing the right thing

Can we stop politicizing this man's death please? Geez. Why do people feel the need to make politics out of death? He's one of the iconic figures of the 20th Century, and all we can do is how it impacts us politically? For pete's sakes, knock it off.

He was a communist.

That's a fact, junior.

obama orders flags flown at half staff for mandela but not for Margaret Thatcher

who?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBKNXsFI_3s]nkosi sikeleli africa - YouTube[/ame]

Among other misreads.
Via Wonkette.

My God, can you imagine?

failure is not the right thing unlike what the democrats think.

Among other misreads.
Via Wonkette.

My God, can you imagine?

Yep. There was a day when GOP moderates actually carried some swag.

And screw Dick Cheney and Reagan for their deplorable actions.

Always been a favorite piping song of mine:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqGpHrmSaQ4]Blair Douglas - Nelson Mandela`s ... - YouTube[/ame]

Awesome when you watch massed bands playing it live.

Last edited:
And credit where credit is due. Mitch McConnell, when he wasn't such a douchebag:

"In the 1960s, when I was in college, civil rights issues were clear," explained Senator Mitch McConnell (R–Ky.), who voted to pass the Act over Reagan's veto.

"After that, it became complicated with questions of quotas and other matters that split people of good will. When the apartheid issues came along, it made civil rights black and white again. It was not complicated."

And credit where credit is due. Mitch McConnell, when he wasn't such a douchebag:

"In the 1960s, when I was in college, civil rights issues were clear," explained Senator Mitch McConnell (R–Ky.), who voted to pass the Act over Reagan's veto.

"After that, it became complicated with questions of quotas and other matters that split people of good will. When the apartheid issues came along, it made civil rights black and white again. It was not complicated."

Pigs do fly

Via Wonkette.

My God, can you imagine?

Yep. There was a day when GOP moderates actually carried some swag.

And screw Dick Cheney and Reagan for their deplorable actions.

That was back when they weren't so afraid of the rednecks in the Teaparty and primary challenges.

He was a communist.

That's a fact, junior.

I guess I can see how that would happen.

We're usually a little stingy with 'foreign dignataries' for whom we choose to fly our flag at half-staff.

Generally speaking, Ms. Thatcher was a good friend to the United States, and, in Britain's own modest way, they (and she) contributed to the winning end-game of the Cold War, but, in the final analysis, I'm not sure she made the same kind of lasting impression and impact upon Mankind that a Mandela or a Gandhi or the like does.

But that's just me, and a first reaction to the comparison - pure, unfounded personal opinion.

As a White Guy with some substantial (if residual) Reactionary tendencies, I, too, had a long moment of angst and frustration when I read that bit about Obama ordering flags to half-staff for Mandela, and not for Thatcher...

But, taking a deep breath, and taking a second look at it, and realizing that Obama has ordered half-staff for several folk, including Pope John Paul II and several other White Folk, it occurred to me that the move was probably NOT rooted in either reverse-racism nor Leftist sympathies.

Mind you, I don't pretend that either the present Administration, nor Obama himself, are not capable of such things.

I'm just not so sure that THIS is one such example.

Just sayin'.

He was a communist.

That's a fact, junior.

Margaret Thatcher wasn't black. We should not fly our flags at half staff for ANY foreign leader. Never.

Forum List

Back