New composite images reveal what Uranus really looks like

JGalt

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2011
This comes as a shock to me. The early Voyager 2 images showed Neptune to be a rich blue, and Uranus green. But a new study has revealed that the two ice giants are actually far closer in color than we've thought all along.

"The correct shades of the planets have been confirmed with the help of research led by Professor Patrick Irwin from the University of Oxford, which has been published today in the Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society.

He and his team found that both worlds are in fact a similar shade of greenish blue, despite the commonly-held belief that Neptune is a deep azure and Uranus has a pale cyan appearance.

Astronomers have long known that most modern images of the two planets do not accurately reflect their true colors. The misconception arose because images captured of both planets during the 20th century—including by NASA's Voyager 2 mission, the only spacecraft to fly past these worlds—recorded images in separate colors.

The single-color images were later recombined to create composite color images, which were not always accurately balanced to achieve a "true" color image, and—particularly in the case of Neptune—were often made "too blue."

In addition, the early Neptune images from Voyager 2 were strongly contrast enhanced to better reveal the clouds, bands, and winds that shape our modern perspective of Neptune.

Professor Irwin said, "Although the familiar Voyager 2 images of Uranus were published in a form closer to 'true' color, those of Neptune were, in fact, stretched and enhanced, and therefore made artificially too blue. Even though the artificially-saturated color was known at the time among planetary scientists—and the images were released with captions explaining it—that distinction had become lost over time. Applying our model to the original data, we have been able to reconstitute the most accurate representation yet of the color of both Neptune and Uranus."

New images reveal what Neptune and Uranus really look like

1704432429926.jpeg

Okay, who else clicked on this expecting a different photo? It sounded like the lunchline for a Beavis/Butthead style gotcha. Instead, cool images :)

This comes as a shock to me. The early Voyager 2 images showed Neptune to be a rich blue, and Uranus green. But a new study has revealed that the two ice giants are actually far closer in color than we've thought all along.

"The correct shades of the planets have been confirmed with the help of research led by Professor Patrick Irwin from the University of Oxford, which has been published today in the Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society.

He and his team found that both worlds are in fact a similar shade of greenish blue, despite the commonly-held belief that Neptune is a deep azure and Uranus has a pale cyan appearance.

Astronomers have long known that most modern images of the two planets do not accurately reflect their true colors. The misconception arose because images captured of both planets during the 20th century—including by NASA's Voyager 2 mission, the only spacecraft to fly past these worlds—recorded images in separate colors.

The single-color images were later recombined to create composite color images, which were not always accurately balanced to achieve a "true" color image, and—particularly in the case of Neptune—were often made "too blue."

In addition, the early Neptune images from Voyager 2 were strongly contrast enhanced to better reveal the clouds, bands, and winds that shape our modern perspective of Neptune.

Professor Irwin said, "Although the familiar Voyager 2 images of Uranus were published in a form closer to 'true' color, those of Neptune were, in fact, stretched and enhanced, and therefore made artificially too blue. Even though the artificially-saturated color was known at the time among planetary scientists—and the images were released with captions explaining it—that distinction had become lost over time. Applying our model to the original data, we have been able to reconstitute the most accurate representation yet of the color of both Neptune and Uranus."

New images reveal what Neptune and Uranus really look like

View attachment 883610
nasa does "colorize" , particularly outside the visible spectrum.

maybe they did that for contrast?

OK, I know something of how these NASA teams process images in order to correct for a things "true" color as well as having direct experience in looking at both Uranus and Neptune directly through a telescope, and I can tell you this article is BS.

I'm sure that if you read deep, they will tell you that this true color is based on this or that, probably seen in space or whatever, but I know the compositions of these ice giants and the reasons why Uranus is a pale featureless orb while Neptune retains storms and other surface features, and the actual visible colors to our eye from here on Earth still are closer to the Voyager image.

Part of the problem is probably the color space of our monitors not being calibrated to NASA's standard, another problem may be the far greater dimness of Neptune as seen from here, which would tend to make the blueness of Neptune seem darker. The dark blue in the voyager image may also been due to the response of their early camera system.

Seen in the telescope, Uranus is a bright disc and easily seen with a sort of robin's egg green, while Neptune is much smaller and dimmer, almost starlike, but has a decided blue cast.

what Uranus really looks like​

This is one matter that I prefer you not to lie about .

Okay, who else clicked on this expecting a different photo? It sounded like the lunchline for a Beavis/Butthead style gotcha. Instead, cool images :)
photos of uranus? who wouldn't look to see if their ass looked fat?

JGalt thanks. great photos and the" color stuff "is interesting.

When the Viking Spacecraft landed on Mars the first photos received/colorized? were with a blue sky. NASA had to adjust how the photos were taken. The issue with NASA is that they get public money then treat the citizen like an afterthought with their lack of awareness in reporting everything to them through the media or their own media ways. Countess times we may have questions and it is a while before you get answers. Like they are putting up with you. When it comes to questions outside the realm they need to answer. Answering questions on aliens, any missions faked, etc. Even if they seem like comedy to the people running the show there. The Face of Mars is an example. From the beginning they should have constantly rebuked anything spouted from people here on earth. They did not. Like the citizen is below their high and mighty superior brains. Elon Musk had to put cameras on his spacecraft to show NASA how they were treating the public in many ways, and they put cameras on the Artemis 1 mission. We could have had better cameras on the original Apollo moon landings. Since the taxpayer forked up the dough for it.

OK, I know something of how these NASA teams process images in order to correct for a things "true" color as well as having direct experience in looking at both Uranus and Neptune directly through a telescope, and I can tell you this article is BS.
I'm sure that if you read deep, they will tell you that this true color is based on this or that, probably seen in space or whatever, but I know the compositions of these ice giants and the reasons why Uranus is a pale featureless orb while Neptune retains storms and other surface features, and the actual visible colors to our eye from here on Earth still are closer to the Voyager image.
Part of the problem is probably the color space of our monitors not being calibrated to NASA's standard, another problem may be the far greater dimness of Neptune as seen from here, which would tend to make the blueness of Neptune seem darker. The dark blue in the voyager image may also been due to the response of their early camera system.
Seen in the telescope, Uranus is a bright disc and easily seen with a sort of robin's egg green, while Neptune is much smaller and dimmer, almost starlike, but has a decided blue cast.

Here is a telescopic image of Uranus taken by an amateur astronomer:

Screen Shot 2024-01-05 at 7.33.26 PM.jpg

And here is a composite of both planets as seen through the Hubble Space telescope:
Screen Shot 2024-01-05 at 7.41.19 PM.png

Both of these colors are very faithful to what I've seen under direct observation at the telescope. Voyager may have been exaggerated, and the newly processed NASA images may be technically accurate, but not representative of how the planets appear to us from here on Earth.

Forum List

Back