New GOP Outrage! World of Warcraft Grants!

There is NO DOUBT that video games can desensitize children if their parents dont dotheir jobs as parents. But so does movies, tv, comic books, cartoons and fist fights in school.

The idea that they cause violence in youth is absurd. Millions upon millions grew up playing games and only a few turned into killers.

Saying games cause violencw is like saying gay couples on tv cause homosexuality. Ignorance is bliss

It doesn't "cause" violence. It desensitizes one to violence, conditions one to accept the possibility of violence. Thats why the military and police use the same principles to contition their people to the possibility of violence. Video games and paintball in the general public arent that far apart from the video simulators and "sim gun" training the military and police do.

Thats why you need to read his book if you want to learn about this topic. The process simply removes one of the barriers in the mind that may prevent one from carrying out a violent act. Removes one element of hesitation.

So, it doesn't cause violence, but it removes one of the mental barriers to the possibility of violence.
I've played video games for over 30 years and I know others who have as well. I dont need to read a book to learn about the effects when I've lived it first hand.

Games are nothing but a scapegoat for those who wish to ignore the real issues.

Your right RW they will be mentioning this next election.

Old lies are their favorite thing

There is NO DOUBT that video games can desensitize children if their parents dont dotheir jobs as parents. But so does movies, tv, comic books, cartoons and fist fights in school.

The idea that they cause violence in youth is absurd. Millions upon millions grew up playing games and only a few turned into killers.

Saying games cause violencw is like saying gay couples on tv cause homosexuality. Ignorance is bliss

It doesn't "cause" violence. It desensitizes one to violence, conditions one to accept the possibility of violence. Thats why the military and police use the same principles to contition their people to the possibility of violence. Video games and paintball in the general public arent that far apart from the video simulators and "sim gun" training the military and police do.

Thats why you need to read his book if you want to learn about this topic. The process simply removes one of the barriers in the mind that may prevent one from carrying out a violent act. Removes one element of hesitation.

So, it doesn't cause violence, but it removes one of the mental barriers to the possibility of violence.
I've played video games for over 30 years and I know others who have as well. I dont need to read a book to learn about the effects when I've lived it first hand.

did you even read the story?

Its studing how to improve the human brain with the right video games.

You do know people are already making money off this idea right?

Ah, thats the right attitude!! "I did it, and I turned out fine, so I aint readin no fancy learnin book to learn stuff"

So, since it didnt affect you, then the other 2 billion people in the world who play video games.....their brains accept that instant visual feedback and process it EXACTLY the same? Let me ask you about two things.

1- The legendary UCLA basketball coach John Wooden used visualization as an incredible teaching tool. Imagine you hit the shot. It works, and every major sports program on Earth now uses that technique to supplement their training.

2- As I referred you to the expert book on the topic- the military and police use video simulators to supplement their training as well. To train the brain to make an immediate reaction in a kill/dont kill scenario.

So, if YOU are right in suggesting video games have NO affect on the brain's reaction under stress, does that mean you are wiser than the military and police trainers, and the college and pro sports coaches of the worlds? That they are wasting their time, and YOU could counsel them to use their time and money better?

Christ you're stupid. NO ONE BUT YOU is talking about the positive effects games have on the brain. This discussion is about games and violence twit.

Try to keep up with the adults

Bucs video games may be a trigger but nothing more. Much like when an insane person drops his ice cream cone and goes nuts. Or when a child with asbergers goes crazy when TOUCHED.

You gonna study and possibly restrict ice cream or human touch?

THAT is the stupidity of this conversation.

Wow Sallow, you are really scraping the bottom of the barrel to find something to whine about.

I'm not doing the "whining". That would be Cantor.

I think it's a great idea to have Seniors play video games. Personally, I think part of the problem with how we deal with the elderly..and disease in general..is that we rely to much on drugs and medicine. I also personally feel that when a person retires and starts doing nothing it has a negative impact on the brain.

Whining about "pork" is the whining part.

Lying about the spending is atrocious.

Christ you're stupid. NO ONE BUT YOU is talking about the positive effects games have on the brain. This discussion is about games and violence twit.

Well no..it's not.

Cantor was whining about spending money on checking the positive impact video games have on the brains of seniors.

Bucs video games may be a trigger but nothing more. Much like when an insane person drops his ice cream cone and goes nuts. Or when a child with asbergers goes crazy when TOUCHED.

Grossman never argued it was a trigger. A trigger is an instant response. It is a conditioning, a desensitizing factor. There is a huge difference.

Coming home to find your wife in bed with another man is a trigger.

Working crime scenes for 25 years and seeing dead bodies, murder scenes and suicides will desensitize a person to death.

Two very different ideas. Video games desensitize. They dont trigger, as you said. You missed the point he is making....because, well, you failed to read up on the topic.

So yeah, fuck science and psychology!! All that edumucation stuff.

Wow Sallow, you are really scraping the bottom of the barrel to find something to whine about.

I'm not doing the "whining". That would be Cantor.

I think it's a great idea to have Seniors play video games. Personally, I think part of the problem with how we deal with the elderly..and disease in general..is that we rely to much on drugs and medicine. I also personally feel that when a person retires and starts doing nothing it has a negative impact on the brain.

Whining about "pork" is the whining part.

Lying about the spending is atrocious.

I understand that crossword puzzles and suduko help too.

I happen to think video games are a GREAT addition to society, that we can get a large number of positive results in so many facets of life from them.

However, I see absolutely nothing wrong with studying the effects of games on the brain. It is a good use of money.

Grossman never argued it was a trigger. A trigger is an instant response. It is a conditioning, a desensitizing factor. There is a huge difference.

Coming home to find your wife in bed with another man is a trigger.

Working crime scenes for 25 years and seeing dead bodies, murder scenes and suicides will desensitize a person to death.

Two very different ideas. Video games desensitize. They dont trigger, as you said. You missed the point he is making....because, well, you failed to read up on the topic.

So yeah, fuck science and psychology!! All that edumucation stuff.

Why are you so stupid? It doesn't take SCIENCE to realize these kids do what they do because THEY ARENT RIGHT IN THE HEAD.

Being a cop or military man doesnt make you an expert on the effects of video games. You are simply a hoot.

Ps. I bet I have far more scientific knowledge than you will ever have.

What are you tallking about? The NC University said they have a 1.2 million dollar grant to fund a digital game. Cantor called it by a different name? OMG.

Well no..it's not.

Cantor was whining about spending money on checking the positive impact video games have on the brains of seniors.

Don't look at me. Bucs is the one that derailed the thread.

An expert on the topic, Lt. Grossman and author of "On Killing", one of the most famous and relevant books ever on the topic, agrees with Obama that video games need to be studied.

The military and police have used video games for 2 decades to train their trigger pullers to react and condition them to the possibility of taking human life (in addition to other tactics). So, when we raise 2 generations of millions of kids who are getting nearly the exact same mental conditioning in their living rooms.....its worth a study.

Now, of course, the right wing will bitch and whine and call it a waste of their beloved tax dollar, and say the best response to this is to just arm even more people.

The USAF is already tapping into those skills with their Drone people.

Yep. Unfortunately, those same conditioned youth also have the ability to be mentally unstable, and go on shooting sprees when they are all fucked up on a cocktail of meds some doctor prescribed just because the family has health insurance.

We've desensitized and conditioned an entire generation on video games, and expect there to be no consequence.
You really need to stop insulting people. When you make remarks like "have the ability to be mentally unstable" it is hard to take you serious as an adult.

Tell Me something. Who does NOT have the ability to be mentally unstable?

Forum List

Back