New Hampshire Lawmakers Pass Law Allowing Parental Objections To Curriculum

You are the one who is truly confused between republicanism and democracy in the small "r" and the small "d" in comfort. To move direct decision making about government issues for elected representatives (republicanism) to the people themselves (democracy) is progressive left wing non-classical liberalism.

Let's work through this again. People deciding for themselves isn't democracy, it's freedom. Democracy is a way of making decisions as a group. What's really at issue here is whether decisions about curricula will be decided as a group, with everyone complying with the decision of the majority, or whether individual families decide for themselves.

Go read the founders on their general attituded about the mass of citizens voting. Almost none of the minorities had the vote, only New Jersey permitted women until ended in 1804, and all that many of white men.

John Hancock and others would have voted against the law.

But what does this have to do with voting?

Because the founders did not want the electorate mass deciding these kinds of questions anymore than they wanted to expand the electorate.

The founders realized that certain abilities beyond the scope of normal citizens are required in government service, particularly in public education.

They wanted to remove the voters at least one step from school board decisions. Thus, the voters elect the school board members, the board selects the superintendents, who selects those who are going to administer and develop school goals and procedures.

This law is nothing more than a call for mass confusion and mass delusion of the electorate.

Why are you guys so leftist on this?

You are the one who is truly confused between republicanism and democracy in the small "r" and the small "d" in comfort. To move direct decision making about government issues for elected representatives (republicanism) to the people themselves (democracy) is progressive left wing non-classical liberalism.

Let's work through this again. People deciding for themselves isn't democracy, it's freedom. Democracy is a way of making decisions as a group. What's really at issue here is whether decisions about curricula will be decided as a group, with everyone complying with the decision of the majority, or whether individual families decide for themselves.

You run around in circles and ae very, very confused.

You are calling for anarchy not freedom.

You can advise, daveman, not tell the teacher what to do in a public school: not how it is done.

Home school or private school, then.
We home schooled my daughters when we were in SC because the local district sucked. When my oldest was in middle school, we had to teach her her math lesson every evening because her East Indian teacher's accent my daughter couldn't understand her. Complaining to the teacher didn't help. Complaining to the school didn't help. We lived on base and so were not paying property taxes, so I wasn't as angry as I would have been if we were, because we wouldn't have been getting our money's worth.

I repeat: My child? I get a say. End of story.

Of course you get a say, but final decisions for public schools are not yours.

Your only "decision making power" is to home or private school.
In other words: "STFU so we can indoctrinate your child."

We home schooled my daughters when we were in SC because the local district sucked. When my oldest was in middle school, we had to teach her her math lesson every evening because her East Indian teacher's accent my daughter couldn't understand her. Complaining to the teacher didn't help. Complaining to the school didn't help. We lived on base and so were not paying property taxes, so I wasn't as angry as I would have been if we were, because we wouldn't have been getting our money's worth.

Not at all. Be involved with your child's education, volunteer at the school, attend the school board meetings, run for the school board.

Be involved, daveman, don't just shout act silly.

Not at all. Be involved with your child's education, volunteer at the school, attend the school board meetings, run for the school board.

But you think the government is more suited to decide what a child should learn than his parents.

Look around you. The government screws up more often than not.

But you think the government is more suited to decide what a child should learn than his parents.

Morals and values and family traditions and religion and spiritualiy are your domain.

Math, science, literature, history, chemister, and so forth are the domain of the public educations.

The teachers foul on their areas far less than the parents.

Don't mind him, he's been doing that for this entire thread. I think someone broke him.

Don't mind him, he's been doing that for this entire thread. I think someone broke him.

daveman cares for his kids, so it's good. He mistakes ideology for parenting, though.

It gets really personal for parents on this subject, but being a parent does not make one an expert on everything in the universe. I agree the schools should not focus on providing values beyond the educational to students, but parents having absolute control over the content that children learn in the classroom is insanity.

Last edited:

daveman cares for his kids, so it's good. He mistakes ideology for parenting, though.

It gets really personal for parents on this subject, but being a parent does not make one an expert on everything in the universe. I agree the schools should not focus on providing values beyond the educational to students, but parents having absolute control over the content that children learn in the classroom is insanity.

A parent doesn't HAVE to be an expert on everything in the universe, to be an expert on their child and how best to instruct them.

Morals and values and family traditions and religion and spiritualiy are your domain.

Math, science, literature, history, chemister, and so forth are the domain of the public educations.

The teachers foul on their areas far less than the parents.
Yet you agreed with me that Little Johnny's medal for participation is useless if he can't read it.

Report:-Over-a-third-of-students-entering-college - Chicago Sun-Times

Kid, don't get your frilly panties in a wad. You forget that you support government indoctrination of schoolkids, and you oppose parents instilling their own values in their kids. You called it "brainwashing".

Being a childless single person doesn't make one an expert on parenting.

You might want to remember that.

You run around in circles and ae very, very confused.

You are calling for anarchy not freedom.

LOL hyperbole much?

Listen, if you don't want real discussion fine, but I'm pointing out that you keep using the word democracy incorrectly. Letting families and children choose their own curriculum may be foolhardy, it might an awesome idea, but it's decidedly not leftist, progressive democracy. You seem be going for some kind of doublespeak and I'm not sure why. What are you getting at?

Last edited:

I tend to agree it would be pretty impractical if a lot of people did it. But this sounds like it's for the fringe cases - it will likely be used only to block specific subjects parents find objectionable. Most people aren't going to be able to afford the charges (depending on how substantial they are), and most of those willing to pay more for control over their child's education will probably home school or find a private school they like better.

That said, I like this topic because it shines a light on the problems inherent in making something a government service that doesn't need to be.

I tend to agree it would be pretty impractical if a lot of people did it. But this sounds like it's for the fringe cases - it will likely be used only to block specific subjects parents find objectionable. Most people aren't going to be able to afford the charges (depending on how substantial they are), and most of those willing to pay more for control over their child's education will probably home school or find a private school they like better.

That said, I like this topic because it shines a light on the problems inherent in making something a government service that doesn't need to be.

I suspect that the charges should be whatever would normally have gone in from taxpayer money should be payed out of pocket by the parent.

Kid, don't get your frilly panties in a wad. You forget that you support government indoctrination of schoolkids, and you oppose parents instilling their own values in their kids. You called it "brainwashing".

I also love it when he does this thing where he tells you what you believe.

I can see how your parenting must be, no wonder you want absolute control.

I also love it when he does this thing where he tells you what you believe.

I can see how your parenting must be, no wonder you want absolute control.
Ahhh, so now we're playing "the liberal didn't say what he said".

Pathetic. :lol:

Oh, and how many kids have you raised?

Forum List

Back