New Poll Shows GOP Shifting In Fascinating Direction...

paulitician

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2011
Rand-Ron-Paul.jpg

Republicans in record numbers moving toward the ideals and principles of libertarianism, according to a new poll by released by the grassroots group FreedomWorks.

The survey of all registered voters, which was conducted last month, found that a full 78 percent of Republican and GOP-leaning voters self-identify as being fiscally conservative and socially moderate

The results of the survey were first shared with POLITICO.

The poll found that its Republican and independent-leaning respondents aren’t suddenly advocating legalized marijuana and instructing people to read “The Fountainhead.” Rather, as POLITICO’s James Hohman notes, many self-identified Republicans are simply falling in line with traditional libertarian views on limited government.

This comes after years of GOP domination by “defense hawks” and “social conservatives.”

Now, according to the FreedomWorks report, the GOP is starting to back away from social conservatism and hawkishness and lean toward libertarianism.

Asked what concerns them the most, 40 percent of survey respondents said “individual freedom through lower taxes and reducing the size and scope of government,” 27 percent said “traditional values,” and 18 percent said “strong national defense.”

Kellyanne Conway, who ran the poll, said they are seeing a massive increase in the number of respondents who think the government has grown too large and has become too expensive to maintain.

“The perfect storm is being created between the NSA, the IRS, the implementation of Obamacare and now Syria,” she said. “People are looking at the government more suspiciously. They’re looking with deeper scrutiny and reasonable suspicion.”...

Read More:
New Poll Shows GOP Shifting in Fascinating New Direction | TheBlaze.com

The poll found that its Republican and independent-leaning respondents aren’t suddenly advocating legalized marijuana
Currently the feds are working with bankers on doing business with pot sellers.

Pot will be legalized. Mainly for 30% taxation, but at least it will be nice to not have any dry spells again, unless the only grade of weed allowed is low grade that is sold, but that will be up to the states to decide.
I grew up in OKC where 2.3 and 3.2 beer was sold in bars and out of stores.
You could buy the 5% out of a liquor store but it is not allowed to be sold cold.

Last edited:
As long as people are allowed to use deadly force in self defense against drug addicts, legalize it all. Just STOP funding their medical care. Allow localities the option of banning pot completely, just like ws done with alcohol.

Pot will be legalized. Mainly for 30% taxation, but at least it will be nice to not have any dry spells again, unless the grade of weed is low that is sold.

I fully support decriminalizing Marijuana. However, Pot Heads shouldn't rejoice too much if it happens. Government only serves Government. It could care less about the People. Government will find a way to make a fortune while at the same time screwing the People. It destroys just about everything it touches. So while it will be great to see Marijuana decriminalized, there will be a big downside in Government getting involved.

why is it that all these talks center around you idiots wanting to get high?

Well, the article isn't only about that one issue. And Rand & Ron Paul certainly aren't only about that one issue. But a poster brought it up. And I don't mind discussing it.

Fuck Ron Paul! Thank god Libertarians are not all like that lying piece of shit.

The only thing pure libertarians do really well is lose elections.

They're pretty good at pie-in-the-sky utopian outbursts on how wonderful things would be if we would only allow heroin peddlers into grade schools, too.

Pot will be legalized. Mainly for 30% taxation, but at least it will be nice to not have any dry spells again, unless the only grade of weed allowed is low grade that is sold, but that will be up to the states to decide.
You could buy the 5% out of a liquor store but it is not allowed to be sold cold.

That Wacky Bible Belt....:cuckoo:

Rand-Ron-Paul.jpg

Republicans in record numbers moving toward the ideals and principles of libertarianism, according to a new poll by released by the grassroots group FreedomWorks.

The survey of all registered voters, which was conducted last month, found that a full 78 percent of Republican and GOP-leaning voters self-identify as being fiscally conservative and socially moderate

The results of the survey were first shared with POLITICO.

The poll found that its Republican and independent-leaning respondents aren’t suddenly advocating legalized marijuana and instructing people to read “The Fountainhead.” Rather, as POLITICO’s James Hohman notes, many self-identified Republicans are simply falling in line with traditional libertarian views on limited government.

This comes after years of GOP domination by “defense hawks” and “social conservatives.”

Now, according to the FreedomWorks report, the GOP is starting to back away from social conservatism and hawkishness and lean toward libertarianism.

Asked what concerns them the most, 40 percent of survey respondents said “individual freedom through lower taxes and reducing the size and scope of government,” 27 percent said “traditional values,” and 18 percent said “strong national defense.”

Kellyanne Conway, who ran the poll, said they are seeing a massive increase in the number of respondents who think the government has grown too large and has become too expensive to maintain.

“The perfect storm is being created between the NSA, the IRS, the implementation of Obamacare and now Syria,” she said. “People are looking at the government more suspiciously. They’re looking with deeper scrutiny and reasonable suspicion.”...

Read More:
New Poll Shows GOP Shifting in Fascinating New Direction | TheBlaze.com

Fascinating to read some of those other results;

Ten percent of GOP respondents were unfamiliar with term “libertarian.”
Roughly 27 percent of total survey respondents said they weren’t familiar enough with term “libertarian” to have an opinion on the issue.

Forty-nine percent of total respondents oppose Obamacare.

Fifty-two percent of total survey respondents said the government should not enforce or promote a particular moral code/set of values.

Forty-one percent of GOP respondents said gay marriage is not on their top 10 list of priority issues.

Roughly one-third of GOP respondents said abortion is one of the top three issues they care about, another third said it was in their top 10, and another third said it wasn’t an issue for them.

As long as people are allowed to use deadly force in self defense against drug addicts, legalize it all. Just STOP funding their medical care.

Should we stop funding the medical care of fat people too for eating too much crap?

As long as people are allowed to use deadly force in self defense against drug addicts, legalize it all. Just STOP funding their medical care.

Should we stop funding the medical care of fat people too for eating too much crap?

Absolutely. Freedom comes with responsibility. But to "conservatives" (esp. a whole drove on this board), being free is the last thing they really want. They want a police state, where they can make sure none of their fragile opinions on what other people should and should not do with themselves is absolute blasphemy.

They are no different than LOLberals, only in which why they want to control society is different.

Obama has come out considerably more "Old School GOP" on defense and privacy issues than many thought. In the debates I saw the was amazingly close to W Bush on defense but the survelience thing snuck up on me.

This is important to this discussion because I believe the Tea Party is attracting some folks who support keeping government from wire tapping everything. A unique blend of hippies and small government wanting yuppies.

Imagine the Tea Party taking over the GOP of the Patriot Act and Savings in Loan bailouts? I dunno but interesting.

I guess you never smoked the "medical" marijuana in CA! Amazing stuff. Not sure if I would go back to my heavy pot days, but I indulge every now and again. When business brings me to LA, I always call up my extremely healthy buddy and smoke some dank weed!

I agree the gop is evolving, and actually wrote a pretty long post to start a thread on it, so I appreciate the thread, but we just had an election where the gop candidate had to be waterboarded before denouncing rushbo from calling Fluke a slut for supporting free contraceptives, and even promised to "end" planned parenthood. So, for the socially moderate thing .... don't hold your breaths.

What truth, Cork? Will you recite the ingredients on a package of conveneince store peanuts for us next?

Forum List

Back