New windows update causing computer to continually reboot?

sarahgop

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2009
This morning when i turned on the comp it would just keep shutting off and rebooting. I called a computer repair place and they told me windows put out a new update, i think he called it panamerican, and the new update is causing alot of computers to do this. I hit f-11 right after turning it on after calling the man and went to system restore and went back to august and wiped out all the sept updates. I then disabled windows from automatically updating. When system restore was done the comp restarted and everything was fine, but when i got home from work and turned it on it did the same thing. This time i hit f-8 and went to safe mode and selected "start up from last known good configuration" and again its working fine. Will that solve the problem? If not what else can i do?
Thanks for any help.

So far I have gotten 2 huge updates, and for the most part all is okay. but it keeps resetting my Chrome to go where I left off instead of to my home page. I fixed it once, now I have to try and fix it again.

I have WIN10 also. I see I also had some updates about a week back.

CHROME was hung up when I took PC out of sleep 30 min ago......but I had left CHROME with 4 pages open to sites........so I thought little of it. But I don't remember that problem before?

I like my Chrome to open to one page......my home page I made. It is annoying to me for it to open where I left off. Thing is..it is not set to do that. I got it fixed (not sure how I managed the last time, and now here it is doing it again. I like to go where I choose to go, not where the stupid thing sends me. Sigh

I like my Chrome to open to one page......my home page I made. It is annoying to me for it to open where I left off. Thing is..it is not set to do that. I got it fixed (not sure how I managed the last time, and now here it is doing it again. I like to go where I choose to go, not where the stupid thing sends me. Sigh

I have mine open to BING (since Google caught fixing search results for DemWitts). I think I did it up in top right of CHROME under settings.........search......

If you want some other home page?..........I don't know, I never bothered to change it. I do see one box says "continue where you left off"

Capture.JPG

Exactly. I that is unchecked. It is all set correctly. If I were to close it now though, instead of going to my homepage as it usually does, it comes to USMB. Did this earlier in the week after 1st huge update.

I see where you have "open to new tab page" . Maybe I need to click and set that.

It's hard to believe Microsoft, which has really unlimited funds, could continually get their flagship product wrong. XP so far has been the gold standard for Windows OS, 7 wasn't bad either, the rest delete to trash bin.

Why does this company, who can hire ANYONE, always get this wrong? I know it is a huge program with likely 50 million lines of code but they can't figure this out in 30 years? They tried the stealth force to upgrade to Windows 10 thing a while back which was also a colossal screw up. Why can't these people hire smart people who know how to make this work properly?

Once, twice, ok things happen. But over 30 years?

Exactly. I that is unchecked. It is all set correctly. If I were to close it now though, instead of going to my homepage as it usually does, it comes to USMB. Did this earlier in the week after 1st huge update.

I see where you have "open to new tab page" . Maybe I need to click and set that.

Well, that sure didn't work. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

well, don't mess it up too bad. I am no expert. I think mine is 100% default CHROME but for Bing added later. CHROME is totally a separate software package from WIN10? I think? CHROME is free from Google.....?

I really don't pay much attention. When working, there are always experts to tell you what to do.....AND the urban junkies with all sorts of "help" wandering around.

I think you want to set "open a specific page" to USMB. You only get one choice.

I thought it might be a bad modem but it is working fine now, though i have left the comp on.

well, don't mess it up too bad. I am no expert. I think mine is 100% default CHROME but for Bing added later. CHROME is totally a separate software package from WIN10? I think? CHROME is free from Google.....?

I really don't pay much attention. When working, there are always experts to tell you what to do.....AND the urban junkies with all sorts of "help" wandering around.

I am not sure yet if it is doing as it should. I know it's set as it should be. Wonder what Microsoft did to screw it up.

I think you want to set "open a specific page" to USMB. You only get one choice.

I set it (or left it set) to my home page....but it goes to the last page I visited, which is not checked. I am hoping it is fixed now. So far so good.........I rebooted.
This is the first time I have ever had trouble with W 10 updates. I knew it was huge though.

It is the updates? I left it on all night. the reboot trouble is when i turn it off and try to turn it back on

This morning when i turned on the comp it would just keep shutting off and rebooting. I called a computer repair place and they told me windows put out a new update, i think he called it panamerican, and the new update is causing alot of computers to do this. I hit f-11 right after turning it on after calling the man and went to system restore and went back to august and wiped out all the sept updates. I then disabled windows from automatically updating. When system restore was done the comp restarted and everything was fine, but when i got home from work and turned it on it did the same thing. This time i hit f-8 and went to safe mode and selected "start up from last known good configuration" and again its working fine. Will that solve the problem? If not what else can i do?
Thanks for any help.

You must be using Windows 10. I have Windows 7, an excellent operating system. Microsoft pestered me for months to get a free upgrade to Windows 10 that I repeatedly refused. I bought a back up for my old laptop and it had Windows 8, an unmitigated disaster and why fix something that is not broke?

any fixes to the problem? I tried restore and last known good configuration though i kept the comp on since i tried that.

Forum List

Back