🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

New York gets things done, much of the U.S not so much.

The rails to trails movement has been going on for a while. Here in Ohio we have something called the Buckeye Trail, a hiking trail which circles the entire state. It still has a lot of road miles but we've been continually chipping away at that. The former rails have been a big part of it. Another current plan is that by 2020 you'll be able to bike from Cleveland to Columbus to Cincinnati via the Ohio to Erie Trail. Another utilizing metroparks, Cuyahoga Nat Park and Ohio and Erie Canal Towpath that goes to Akron and beyond. Good stuff.

I'm particularly pleased at how most of this has been accomplished. It's been pretty hardcore grassroots with buy ins from all kinds of municipalities, businesses and citizens. The final legs of the Towpath trail go through the traditionally extremely heavily industrialised Cuyahoga Valley which is slowly being clawed back making it accessible and cleaning it up, slowly. It's so rare to see a project like this being supported by pretty much everyone.

Another area of the Cuy Valley in downtown Cleveland is now a haven for rowers and kayakers. It's pretty amazing to see rowers getting out of the way for a 700ft ore boat to clear. Pretty cool stuff. I've been involved with some of these efforts for 25 years. It's incredible to see things coming to fruition when you were there when people were drawing on napkins.

There's a lot of rail-trails in New York, even over the border in Connecticut they are far rarer, as is park-land also rarer in Connecticut.

This is why I like New York better than much of the country.

New York State steps in to create awesome things.

Take the Walkway over the Hudson.

There was an old abandoned rail-bridge.

New York State stepped in to fund the biggest pedestrian bridge in the World.

This is beautiful, entertaining, and good for tourism.

Why many people in the U.S would complain about this, is beyond me.

That's kind of why most of your states are boring, or ugly.

Now, they are going to make an Empire Trail to connect New York City with Canada, and Buffalo with rail trails.

Minnewaska is another great example.

In most states it would have become a development.

But, the state stepped in, and saved it.

And you cry all the time about 9/11. You fuckers hump the hell out that. In a large group you always immediately know where two people are from and it will alway be because those two have the loudest mouths and everyone hates them. Those two places will be Texas and New York.

Now, they are going to make an Empire Trail to connect New York City with Canada, and Buffalo with rail trails.

I like New York, it's a great place to visit. I go there all the time but to claim it's the best ever and the rest of the states are crap is just stupid and wrong.

The rails to trails movement has been going on for a while. Here in Ohio we have something called the Buckeye Trail, a hiking trail which circles the entire state. It still has a lot of road miles but we've been continually chipping away at that. The former rails have been a big part of it. Another current plan is that by 2020 you'll be able to bike from Cleveland to Columbus to Cincinnati via the Ohio to Erie Trail. Another utilizing metroparks, Cuyahoga Nat Park and Ohio and Erie Canal Towpath that goes to Akron and beyond. Good stuff.

I'm particularly pleased at how most of this has been accomplished. It's been pretty hardcore grassroots with buy ins from all kinds of municipalities, businesses and citizens. The final legs of the Towpath trail go through the traditionally extremely heavily industrialised Cuyahoga Valley which is slowly being clawed back making it accessible and cleaning it up, slowly. It's so rare to see a project like this being supported by pretty much everyone.

Another area of the Cuy Valley in downtown Cleveland is now a haven for rowers and kayakers. It's pretty amazing to see rowers getting out of the way for a 700ft ore boat to clear. Pretty cool stuff. I've been involved with some of these efforts for 25 years. It's incredible to see things coming to fruition when you were there when people were drawing on napkins.

There's a lot of rail-trails in New York, even over the border in Connecticut they are far rarer, as is park-land also rarer in Connecticut.
I guess it's hard to hold it against Conn, being such a large state.

One of the fascinating things I've seen has been working with the hiking Buckeye Trail. It goes through little town parks, onto former rail rightaways, into bigger city metroparks, ties into a state park, back to a little town park, through industrial parks, just an unbelievable mishmash.

I also noticed that hikers are a hardy bunch. Many of the work parties are manned by 60 year old women swinging mattocks digging up tree roots. One weekend I spent 10 hours a day with a gas powered heavy duty weed whacker. I was in my mid 30's and I worked with a partner who matched me stride for stride. He was about 5 ft 1 in and 105 lbs soaking wet. He was also 67 years old. He's still my hero.

And you cry all the time about 9/11. You fuckers hump the hell out that. In a large group you always immediately know where two people are from and it will alway be because those two have the loudest mouths and everyone hates them. Those two places will be Texas and New York.

I have only one thing against NY. Yankee fans. I can forgive a NY Yankee, he's just a ballplayer trying to make a living. But a Yankee fan has made a conscious decision and as all decent people know, it's just wrong..

A raised walkway is all it takes to get you to agree to absurd high taxes, high rent, ridiculous laws like no 32oz or larger drinks. Etc...

My idea of most New Yorkers...

They'r either stupid rich or just stupid.

I have only one thing against NY. Yankee fans. I can forgive a NY Yankee, he's just a ballplayer trying to make a living. But a Yankee fan has made a conscious decision and as all decent people know, it's just wrong..

Don't pick on us Yankee fans!

We have good reason to bitch; we haven't won a World Series since 2009!

I was born and raised in the NYC area. It's such a wonderful, vibrant place, full of museums, music, art, Broadway, ethnic neighborhoods, food, Central Park, every kind of house of worship you can think of, The Rockettes at Radio City. There is always something to see and do. It never sleeps and never goes out of style. There are over eight million people there and most live harmoniously from day to day. However, traffic sucks and don't even dream of parking.
So it's not rural. So what? Other parts of the state are and are very beautiful, like the region around Fishkill.

From my experience, it's the faux "patriots" from middle America who carp about 9/11 the most.

Don't pick on us Yankee fans!

We have good reason to bitch; we haven't won a World Series since 2009!
It's funny, growing up in Cleveland back when we a yearly laughing stock we'd go to games and half the crowd would be from NY. I guess it was so hard and expensive to get tickets that folks would come to Cleveland for a weekend and see 3 or 4 games(back when we had real doubleheaders). We had a lot of fun going back and forth with them, ok and drinking cheap beer with them.

You can't hold my ragging the Yankees against me, it's a city ordinance here.

Well, it is after all The Center of the Universe

I've been to Florida, what a mess, tons of stores, and very little park land.
Even the beaches are few, and far between.
The state just doesn't do much at all, if it was New York on the other hand...

There are few beaches in Florida? I live here. We've got beaches up the whazzoo! What part of Florida did you visit? Orlando?:blowup:

I've been to Florida, what a mess, tons of stores, and very little park land.
Even the beaches are few, and far between.
The state just doesn't do much at all, if it was New York on the other hand...

There are few beaches in Florida? I live here. We've got beaches up the whazzoo! What part of Florida did you visit? Orlando?:blowup:

No! no! no! He's right. Florida is no place for folks from NY.

Why, we're crawlin' with bugs...
IMGP1357 (640x480) - Copy - Copy.jpg

overrun by crabs...

IMG_0768 (640x443) - Copy - Copy.jpg

the beaches are horribly overcrowded...
IMGP1156 (2) (640x480) - Copy.jpg

it's always cloudy...

IMG_1729 (640x477) - Copy.jpg

the fish are a nuisance...

IMG_0785 (640x480) - Copy.jpg

dangerous creatures lurking about....

IMGP0034 (640x480) - Copy.jpg

restaurant parking lots are full...

IMGP1348 (640x480) - Copy.jpg

no parks or fun things to do...

IMGP0104 (640x480) - Copy.jpg

no quiet, peaceful places...

IMGP1214 (640x480) - Copy.jpg

Florida is just way way too crowded - no room, no room!

IMG_1153 (640x360) - Copy.jpg

So sad...:cry:

Last edited:
Yes, I agree New Yawkahs get a lot done.....in performing enough Islam fellatio to stain your entire coastline white with muslim semen. In 2010 you sick sons of bitches allowed a mosque to be built a couple of blocks from Ground Zero. A mosque after a terrorist attack is the SIGNATURE of victory in a muslim conquest, so fuck you NYC smartass PUNKS and your stupid-sounding accent inability to pronounce the letter R. The only American city on which I wish more muslim misery than New Yawkers is San Franshitsco. And I was born there so it pains me to see my birth town filled with the WORST living things in America, or possibly the whole planet.

As far as your recent Islam attack goes, you New Yawkahs WANTED that Islam hate-cult so bad and by god you got it, didn't you, you diBlasio re-electors? Also, every single word in this post can apply to the European Islam-fellatrix nation of your choice.

Well, that's usually Italians, or Jews.
Up here in Pawling, there's far less of those types.

I like New York, it's a great place to visit. I go there all the time but to claim it's the best ever and the rest of the states are crap is just stupid and wrong.

Well, I didn't necessarily say that everything about New York is better

I think New York's attracted a lot of bad diversity, even if has some good diversity.

But, that seems to be the case in quite a few places in the U.S.A, now-a-days.

Yes, I agree New Yawkahs get a lot done.....in performing enough Islam fellatio to stain your entire coastline white with muslim semen. In 2010 you sick sons of bitches allowed a mosque to be built a couple of blocks from Ground Zero. A mosque after a terrorist attack is the SIGNATURE of victory in a muslim conquest, so fuck you NYC smartass PUNKS and your stupid-sounding accent inability to pronounce the letter R. The only American city on which I wish more muslim misery than New Yawkers is San Franshitsco. And I was born there so it pains me to see my birth town filled with the WORST living things in America, or possibly the whole planet.

As far as your recent Islam attack goes, you New Yawkahs WANTED that Islam hate-cult so bad and by god you got it, didn't you, you diBlasio re-electors? Also, every single word in this post can apply to the European Islam-fellatrix nation of your choice.

Having come from Putnam County, New York, I've definitely heard many slurs, and prejudiced things about Muslims, Mexicans, Blacks, Jews, even Poles, and Italians.

We're probably far more racist than most of the country.

Forum List

Back