New York lawmakers look to ban cops who resign, are fired for misconduct, from being rehired elsewhere

That's hard to do given the fact all of these problems happen in liberal cities. You don't see any problems with police that are dominated by Republicans.

Yeah. That’s the propaganda.

Orange County. Republican Stronghold in Southern California. No way misconduct could happen there.
They're either incompetent or lying. How can anyone that f'ng stupid have authority over any other human being? They should be serving time for having committed fraud (how were they ever certified as police officers?) Whoever certified them deserves to be locked up to.

If a private citizen uses their weapon and it's determined that it was justified by the local authorities then no criminal charges will be filed but you are correct that the shooter can still be sued by the shooting victim if they survive or by their family if they do not. But don't forget just because the State declines to prosecute, the federal government can still investigate and charge the shooter if they feel that a violation of the victim's civil rights occurred.

If a police officer uses their weapon to kill someone, tradition has been that NOTHING happens to them personally, not financially nor criminally ( being prosecuted) even when their employer pays out millions to the shooting victims family in an wrongful death lawsuit (think Breonna Taylor). I don't know why you think this is comparable to CCW holders. More importantly, maybe you never go anywhere but I'm licensed to carry in more than half of the states in the U.S. and the laws are different in the individual states. It wasn't until I read about the Zimmerman case that I ever heard of using Stand Your Ground as an affirmative defense that allows you to just go on your merry way after having just killed someone but the state of Florida has some REALLY bad case law and precedents, it's also one of the states that I'm licensed in.

The Zimmerman defense never used the Stand Your Ground law. It was a simple case of a person being attacked that feared for his well being and possibly his life. Before he shot, he suffered two black eyes, a lacerated skull, a broken nose, and some minor back injuries. Under Florida law (like many states) he had the right to use deadly force. The Stand Your Ground nonsense was media hype.

Cities pay out these millions due to politics even if the officers decision was justified. In my city the Tamir Rice case proved that. The city paid this fat pig mother of this kid 7 million taxpayer dollars before the case was even heard. After a Grand Jury heard the arguments, they concluded (rightfully so) that the officer broke no laws. A suspect pulled out a realistic looking firearm when the police exited their car and one of the officers shot and killed him. So why the payout? Because most of our city is black, and the Mayor is black and wanted to be reelected.

Now, if this played out the exact same way with the removal of immunity, in spite of the city payoff, in spite of being ruled innocent by a Grand Jury, the fat pig mother could have still sued the officer, and with 7 million taxpayer dollars, she could hire the best lawyers unlike the then unemployed officer.

That statement is not even close to being true. There was a time when the state of Florida had posted on their website "A permit to carry a concealed weapon is NOT a permit to USE it. You must know the applicable laws regarding ......" I have tried to find that text many times but cannot. I can't remember if it was a part of the same quote or a different segment but they went on further to state that being issued a concealed carry permit does not confer police power upon the holder.

Nobody ever said it did. But a licensed shooter still has the legal right to use deadly force on behalf of himself or others.

Whether or not that is "perfectly legal" is debatable but it's stupid as hell. One of my mentors is also the firearm instructor and trainer who certifies me for my annual firearm re-qualifications and he has on more than one occasion stressed upon us that you don't risk your life over money/property. The businesses if they're operating properly are insured for whatever is being taken and your attempt to intervene could put the employees at even greater risk.

My scenario had nothing to do with money or property. Anytime a lowlife pulls out a deadly weapon in the commission of a crime, the only reasonable thing to conclude is that he's prepared to use it.

About five years ago some scum robbed a gas station around the corner from me. When the lowlife showed his gun, the middle-east attendant backed off, put his arms up in the air, and the lowlife still killed him for the $50.00 in the cash register drawer. Same thing with my mailman. He was a hard working guy living with his mother to take care of her. Approached by a piece of shit with a firearm, he totally complied with his demands. He shot and killed my mailman in spite of that. The murderer got five dollars off of him.

Given the history that compliance does not guarantee safety or life, if I was in a store and shot an armed robber, I had (by law) every reason to believe that the clerk was in jeopardy of serious bodily harm or death, giving me complete legal authority to use deadly force to save the clerk.

And although the police and CCW holders DO NOT operate under identical standards and laws, I will concede that when talking a lawful self-defense claim the criteria is universal however do you honestly think you can shoot a fleeing criminal in the back and not be charged? Yet the police get away with that time and time again.

The immunity needs to go.

It's very rare that you hear of police shooting somebody in the back while the suspect is fleeing. The do have the right to do that if they know that the suspect is a threat to the general public. I can't because I am not privy to the information that officers have unless I have a police scanner with me.

The similarity however is that neither I nor the officer can use deadly force unless we believe there is a reasonable threat of serious bodily harm or death to ourselves or others. We both live by that law. The only exception that police have is they are legally allowed to address such a situation whereas I'm not by law; it's their job.

Simple answer, just leave the state. New York is a Dimocrat hellhole anyway, and since New York and it's pathetic citizens have no respect for law enforcement, you shouldn't want to be a cop there anyway.

That's hard to do given the fact all of these problems happen in liberal cities. You don't see any problems with police that are dominated by Republicans.

Orange County. Republican Stronghold in Southern California. No way misconduct could happen there.

I have no idea what this has to do with my post.

Simple answer, just leave the state. New York is a Dimocrat hellhole anyway, and since New York and it's pathetic citizens have no respect for law enforcement, you shouldn't want to be a cop there anyway.

Which is exactly what they are doing. A 75% increase in police retirements or otherwise leaving the NYC police department since last year. Correct, let the commies suffer their own actions. However the long game is for the federal government to have control over all our police departments, then there will be no place to go.

I have no idea what this has to do with my post.

You said problems with police do not happen in Republican cities. They happen everywhere. And I proved they happen in Republican areas.

I expect this to be a contentious topic but one that should occur nonetheless
Lawmakers in New York introduced joint legislation Saturday that would ban police officers who are forced to resign or are fired over disciplinary issues from being rehired in another jurisdiction in the state.

"Accountability is a must," state Sen. Brian Benjamin, a Democrat who is proposing the bill, told CBS News.

Police officers must be held to a higher standard because of their "power and the privilege to enforce the law," he said.

New York City Council Speaker Corey Johnson, who introduced a collaborative bill at the local level, said, "wandering officers" were "twice as likely to commit physical and sexual misconduct," the New York Daily News reported...
New York deserves a Comet
F that Bernie Sanders type

This seems to be such a simple step its surprising that this measure is not already in place. So basically a cop sacked for misconduct in New York can join the police force in New Jersey. A recipe for disaster.

And what's more, the force he joins has no info on his past misconduct.
It seems that policing is not seen as a profession.
My wife is a nurse and to be able to practise she has to pay an annual subscription to the Royal College of Nursing (RCN ) . They keep a central register of nurses and you are struck off that register if you are a bad nurse. It works very well.

I am surprised that the insurers have not stepped in and insisted on some sort of standard.

The Zimmerman defense never used the Stand Your Ground law. It was a simple case of a person being attacked that feared for his well being and possibly his life. Before he shot, he suffered two black eyes, a lacerated skull, a broken nose, and some minor back injuries. Under Florida law (like many states) he had the right to use deadly force. The Stand Your Ground nonsense was media hype.

Yes, poor Zimmerman being beaten up by a little boy. That must have been embarrassing. for him.

About five years ago some scum robbed a gas station around the corner from me. When the lowlife showed his gun, the middle-east attendant backed off, put his arms up in the air, and the lowlife still killed him for the $50.00 in the cash register drawer. Same thing with my mailman. He was a hard working guy living with his mother to take care of her. Approached by a piece of shit with a firearm, he totally complied with his demands. He shot and killed my mailman in spite of that. The murderer got five dollars off of him.

Yes, Ray. You've convinced me. We totally need to ban guns... oh, wait.

Yes, poor Zimmerman being beaten up by a little boy. That must have been embarrassing. for him.

Correct. He was attacked and the maniac didn't stop, and probably wouldn't have until he killed Zimmerman. That's why charging him in the first place was ridiculous. Buy I know how commies approve of mob rule.

Yes, Ray. You've convinced me. We totally need to ban guns... oh, wait.

Mail carriers cannot carry firearms. It's probably why the lowlife chose our mailman instead of anybody else. Of course if we had a gun ban, the piece of garbage would have still had that gun, and because (like the mailman) we would all be defenseless, he could have killed any one of us.

This seems to be such a simple step its surprising that this measure is not already in place. So basically a cop sacked for misconduct in New York can join the police force in New Jersey. A recipe for disaster.

And what's more, the force he joins has no info on his past misconduct.
It seems that policing is not seen as a profession.
My wife is a nurse and to be able to practise she has to pay an annual subscription to the Royal College of Nursing (RCN ) . They keep a central register of nurses and you are struck off that register if you are a bad nurse. It works very well.

I am surprised that the insurers have not stepped in and insisted on some sort of standard.
It is a profession, but it is answerably to many different jurisdictions which makes it more like a lot of independent agencies

However the problem is not police having the muscle to take down criminals, the problem is suspects not listening to the police forcing them to defend themselves, and in some cases with deadly force.
I disagree

the fundamental problem is stupid bleeding heart liberals who will never understand the problem

and that problem will never go away

so we have to beat them at their own game
There can be more than one problem. Certainly suspects resisting arrest puts both them and the police at risk. almost all of the 1,000 or so people killed each year by police are resisting and 94% are armed. On the other hand the militarization of police departments and the courts that authorize SWAT style no knock raids on people like Breana Taylor are over the top. Imagine yourself doing nothing wrong and having your door kicked in in the middle of the night. But then imagine being a cop and getting fired at. The thing that was wrong there was the plan not the people on site. A baby has had a flash bang grenade land in it's crib in these raids that should only be reserved for the worst of the worst.

On the other hand the militarization of police departments and the courts that authorize SWAT style no knock raids on people like Breana Taylor are over the top.
There has been a lot of misinformation about that incident

first of all about the warrant

the police did knock before entering

her civil rights were not violated

Misconduct is a broad term. If the cancel culture legislators on the Left want to have a weapon for ruining people’s careers, then they need to be very granular and specific as to what parts or forms of misconduct will keep you from getting hired elsewhere in law enforcement.
This is a lie.

There are no ‘cancel culture’ legislators.

Sworn officers need to understand that they are not above the law, that there consequences for their bad acts.

One of those consequences is someone with no business being in law enforcement can’t relocate to another jurisdiction as if those bad acts didn’t happen.

Misconduct is a broad term. If the cancel culture legislators on the Left want to have a weapon for ruining people’s careers, then they need to be very granular and specific as to what parts or forms of misconduct will keep you from getting hired elsewhere in law enforcement.
This is a lie.

There are no ‘cancel culture’ legislators.

Sworn officers need to understand that they are not above the law, that there consequences for their bad acts.

One of those consequences is someone with no business being in law enforcement can’t relocate to another jurisdiction as if those bad acts didn’t happen.

OK. What are “bad acts”?

Correct. He was attacked and the maniac didn't stop, and probably wouldn't have until he killed Zimmerman. That's why charging him in the first place was ridiculous. Buy I know how commies approve of mob rule.

Yeah, 17 year old boy buying candy... wow, that was really dangerous.

Mail carriers cannot carry firearms. It's probably why the lowlife chose our mailman instead of anybody else. Of course if we had a gun ban, the piece of garbage would have still had that gun, and because (like the mailman) we would all be defenseless, he could have killed any one of us.

Uh, guy, the rest of the industrialized world bans guns, and they don't have these problems.

1619691589089.png

Yeah, 17 year old boy buying candy... wow, that was really dangerous.

Yeah, that's what he was doing when he got shot, buying candy. Did you ever hear of the term felonious assault? If you don't know what that is, here's a hint: It's what that little hoodlum was doing when he was shot dead.

Uh, guy, the rest of the industrialized world bans guns, and they don't have these problems.

They have higher rates of theft, rape and other attacks because people can't defend themselves. They don't have nearly the diversity we do, and it's people of color who commit most of the violent crimes in our country. Take them out of the mix and then compare us to other mostly or all white countries.

Forum List

Back