🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

New York State: Banning Internet Anonomity - Huffington Post

These fringe conspiracy theory folks need to be out there. Our government has been caught doing terrible stuff.

The groups also need to keep from fallin in love of one political party. The Democratic National Convention cops being replaced by the Nixon error comes to mind.

Now why would they do this...

The bill states:

A web site administrator upon request shall remove any comments posted on his or her web site by an anonymous poster unless such anonymous poster agrees to attach his or her name to the post and confirms that his or her IP address, legal name, and home address are accurate. All web site administrators shall have a contact number or e-mail address posted for such removal requests, clearly visible in any sections where comments are posted.

Anonymous Comment Ban: Internet Protection Act Threatens Online Anonymity For New York-Based Websites

So, it's ok for vast corporations to 'anonymously' utilize their 'free speech' with humongous campaign contributions and attack ads, but it'll be a crime to post anonymously on a NY website?

Relax.

The ISP's will relocate in one of the many Indian nations in NY or other states.

The bill states:

A web site administrator upon request shall remove any comments posted on his or her web site by an anonymous poster unless such anonymous poster agrees to attach his or her name to the post and confirms that his or her IP address, legal name, and home address are accurate. All web site administrators shall have a contact number or e-mail address posted for such removal requests, clearly visible in any sections where comments are posted.
Anonymous Comment Ban: Internet Protection Act Threatens Online Anonymity For New York-Based Websites

So, it's ok for vast corporations to 'anonymously' utilize their 'free speech' with humongous campaign contributions and attack ads, but it'll be a crime to post anonymously on a NY website?

A post about privacy on the internet turns into rant about corporations? How long is the left going to whine about the supreme court decision that ruled money is speech? . Actually corporations are identified in both contributions and political ads. I recall the Clintons breaking the law and the media just laughing about it the time when the goofy V.P. said there was "no controlling authority" to prevent him from shaking down Buddhist monks.

Incredible illiteracy. Incredible.
Here is a clue: Super PACs Explained | Infoplease.com

FACT: Corporations are ALMOST NEVER identified by PACS in real time
FACT: Some PACS never identify contributors.

What Clinton crimes? Lying about a BJ after ANOTHER 6 year witch hunt- Your party suks...

This OP is total bs, complaining about some idiots from your own party to boot. Waste of time like everything else Pub...that isn't pandering to the idiot rich, dupes.

The simplest solution would seem to be just hosting the site someplace else. I don't see this actually accomplishing anything.

The simplest solution would seem to be just hosting the site someplace else. I don't see this actually accomplishing anything.

That's what I mean by a law written by lawmakers who don't understand how the Internet works.

It's like Ted Steven's famous comment.

The bill states:

No, that's too simple. There's only one group that is still truly anonymous, and its the only one that the government probably has any fear for.

Anonymous-Seal.jpg

The bill states:

** *A web site administrator upon request shall remove any comments posted on his or her web site by an anonymous poster unless such anonymous poster agrees to attach his or her name to the post and confirms that his or her IP address, legal name, and home address are accurate. All web site administrators shall have a contact number or e-mail address posted for such removal requests, clearly visible in any sections where comments are posted.

It's not an infringement of free speech.

I suppose John Hancock should have signed the*
Declaration of Independence in invisible ink then.*

Any leftist group going to protest this shit?

Most will probably praise it.

It is exactly what they want, the ability to control and eliminate discussion contrary to their point of view.

Immie

Last edited:
Well folks, THANKFULLY, at least the NY State ASSEMBLY version of that stupid NY Senate bill changes it so that it would only require the removal of a post IF a "victim" requested it and if the previously anonymous person posting the questioned post refused to provide his real life name.

Bill Text: NY A08688 | 2011-2012 | General Assembly | Amended | LegiScan

Even that is suspect in my eyes. But it makes a shit load more sense than the idoitic Senate version.

If I post anonymously and label some other anonymous entity here at USMB a fucking imbecile, then THAT imbecile MIGHT "demand" that I release my identity on pain of having the offending post "removed" by the administrators of the site. BUT, how can an anonymous "victim" be injured by anything I post?

Ah, there's the rub.

In reality, s/he can't be.

So, the Administrators would apparently not be required to "remove" my post at all and I would not be required to release my real world identity.

The notion itself is so fucking idiotic, that it HAS to get rejected.

The concern isn't for anyone out of state, or even outside the local school district. It is an anti-bullying concern.

Wired noticed the bill on Tuesday after it was quietly introduced in both chambers of New York's legislature to combat cyberbullying.

How many posters actually read the Wired article?

How many members here bothered to read the competing VERSIONS of the bill(s) introduced in the Senate and the Assembly?

So you think the law is meant for you?

The biggest issue with this sort of paranoia is that it's based in delusions of grandeur.

I hate to break it to you, but you are not important enough for the government to be after you.

You're a moron.

Hundreds of Liberty/constitution groups in New York have gone UNDERGROUND and HAVE TO RESORT TO SECRECY in order to not be disturbed.

That should tell you A LOT about how bad New York is, not us.

The fact that a peaceful ESSAY writing group operates in total secrecy is a blight on New York's history.

No, it's an example of paranoia and delusions, nothing more.

We experience the harassment first-hand, it's not paranoia.

When any of our identified members run for an office or collect signatures, they check every signature with a magnify glass and challenge as many as possible. That's just a SMALL TASTE of the shit they do to us.

If you think what the IRS did to Patriot groups was bad, in New York it is A LOT worse. We get hit with brick walls of red tape for everything we do. One reason 3rd parties have a hard time succeeding is because both major parties RIG the game against us.

When we leave parking lots after certain liberty events, all of sudden there are police that PRETEND they think we're driving drunk and make us take breathalyzers and waste our time, check our registrations you fucking name it.

There's a FUCKING REASON WHY PEOPLE PREFER ANONYMITY.

Last edited:
You're a moron.

Hundreds of Liberty/constitution groups in New York have gone UNDERGROUND and HAVE TO RESORT TO SECRECY in order to not be disturbed.

That should tell you A LOT about how bad New York is, not us.

The fact that a peaceful ESSAY writing group operates in total secrecy is a blight on New York's history.

No, it's an example of paranoia and delusions, nothing more.

We experience the harassment first-hand, it's not paranoia.

When any of our identified members run for an office or collect signatures, they check every signature with a magnify glass and challenge as many as possible. That's just a SMALL TASTE of the shit they do to us.

If you think what the IRS did to Patriot groups was bad, in New York it is A LOT worse. We get hit with brick walls of red tape for everything we do. One reason 3rd parties have a hard time succeeding is because both major parties RIG the game against us.

When we leave parking lots after certain liberty events, all of sudden there are police that PRETEND they think we're driving drunk and make us take breathalyzers and waste our time, check our registrations you fucking name it.

There's a FUCKING REASON WHY PEOPLE PREFER ANONYMITY.

In New York, petitions are generally checked by the opposing campaigns, the state doesn't check them.

I worked for a New York State third party for 7 years. I've collected petition signatures for hundreds of candidates, and checked the opposing campaign's signatures against voter records myself. In fact, if you live in Suffolk county, it's not unlikely that I've worked on campaigns for your district.

I worked for a New York State third party for 7 years. I've collected petition signatures for hundreds of candidates, and checked the opposing campaign's signatures against voter records myself. In fact, if you live in Suffolk county, it's not unlikely that I've worked on campaigns for your district.

There's a difference between checking the oppositions signatures [vs] RIGOROUSLY TESTING EVERY SIGNATURE.

Also, did you your entire membership get pulled over by the police while leaving a LIBRARY for drunk driving? I can name you abuse after abuse and I've only been (officially) in the Libertarian party since December 2012 and attending their meetings and events.

Oh yeah, and then Newsday decides the story is even worth reporting, even with proof mailed to them of the police reports. Later on the records of the mass pull over also disappeared, and we were threatened with forgery charges...

Would you like me to go on?

Last edited:

The bill states:

I don't live in NY....exactly how are they going to enforce this?

Forum List

Back