🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

New York State: Banning Internet Anonomity - Huffington Post

I worked for a New York State third party for 7 years. I've collected petition signatures for hundreds of candidates, and checked the opposing campaign's signatures against voter records myself. In fact, if you live in Suffolk county, it's not unlikely that I've worked on campaigns for your district.

There's a difference between checking the oppositions signatures [vs] RIGOROUSLY TESTING EVERY SIGNATURE.
No, there isn't.

The opposing candidate's campaign check the signatures, and they do it very "rigorously". It's a lot easier to win office by disqualifying your opponent than it is to actually "win".

Also, did you your entire membership get pulled over by the police while leaving a LIBRARY for drunk driving? I can name you abuse after abuse and I've only been (officially) in the Libertarian party since December 2012 and attending their meetings and events.

The Libertarian Party? They don't even have a ballot line in NY.

In terms of your anecdotes of persecution, I have no way of knowing if you're telling the truth, and what they other side of the story is, even if you are telling the truth.

But even if you are, it's still not "evidence" of any MASSIVE CONSPIRACY. What "cops"? The town PD? NY Staties?

Oh yeah, the Newsday decides the story is worth reporting, even with proof mailed to them of the police reports.

So they're part of the CONSPIRACY too?

I worked for a New York State third party for 7 years. I've collected petition signatures for hundreds of candidates, and checked the opposing campaign's signatures against voter records myself. In fact, if you live in Suffolk county, it's not unlikely that I've worked on campaigns for your district.

There's a difference between checking the oppositions signatures [vs] RIGOROUSLY TESTING EVERY SIGNATURE.

Also, did you your entire membership get pulled over by the police while leaving a LIBRARY for drunk driving? I can name you abuse after abuse and I've only been (officially) in the Libertarian party since December 2012 and attending their meetings and events.

Oh yeah, and then Newsday decides the story is even worth reporting, even with proof mailed to them of the police reports. Later on the records of the mass pull over also disappeared, and we were threatened with forgery charges...

Would you like me to go on?

You are lying. Why?

Obviously it's because they don't like anonymous online publishing, like my organization, Aegis of Liberty. I'm the only identified person in the entire project. I'm also from Long Island (Suffolk County, New York), and I've been getting strange questions, including one person who started randomly talking to me at Dunkin Donuts and then started asking very surreptitious SUSPICIOUS questions, I didn't catch on for about 10-15 minutes.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Aegis-of-Liberty-Common-Sense-2013/590931764270050?fref=ts

So you think the law is meant for you?

The biggest issue with this sort of paranoia is that it's based in delusions of grandeur.

I hate to break it to you, but you are not important enough for the government to be after you.

I'll just bet you say that to everyone Obama has sent a Drone after.

I didn't know Obama was sending drones after The2ndAmendment.

5743596287_38236_453812311012_197766376012_6637441_5427842_n1_xlarge.jpeg

Now why would they do this...

The bill states:

A web site administrator upon request shall remove any comments posted on his or her web site by an anonymous poster unless such anonymous poster agrees to attach his or her name to the post and confirms that his or her IP address, legal name, and home address are accurate. All web site administrators shall have a contact number or e-mail address posted for such removal requests, clearly visible in any sections where comments are posted.
Anonymous Comment Ban: Internet Protection Act Threatens Online Anonymity For New York-Based Websites

So, it's ok for vast corporations to 'anonymously' utilize their 'free speech' with humongous campaign contributions and attack ads, but it'll be a crime to post anonymously on a NY website?
I don't live in NY....exactly how are they going to enforce this?

Here's my guess. If the idiot NY State Legislature passes the law (after some conference compromise version gets hammered out), it is a near certainty that Gov. Cuomo will sign it. He couldn't possibly give a shit about the First Amendment ramifications. (No kudos to the GOP, by the way. It is a Republican proposed bill. A pox on both their houses.)

Then enforcement will come via lawsuits. Those easily offended "victims" will make their demands of web site Administrators that the member, whose post gave them the vapors, have his identiity revealed OR that the allegedly "offensive" post get deleted.

If the any such Administrator thereupon declines that "invitation" from the thin-skinned "victim," it might be that such a "victim" will simply SUE the Web Site.

God knows where those idiotic lawsuits might take us. And, of course, it is beyond question that the world needs more frivolous litiagion.

Amen.

The bill states:

A web site administrator upon request shall remove any comments posted on his or her web site by an anonymous poster unless such anonymous poster agrees to attach his or her name to the post and confirms that his or her IP address, legal name, and home address are accurate. All web site administrators shall have a contact number or e-mail address posted for such removal requests, clearly visible in any sections where comments are posted.

Anonymous Comment Ban: Internet Protection Act Threatens Online Anonymity For New York-Based Websites

So, it's ok for vast corporations to 'anonymously' utilize their 'free speech' with humongous campaign contributions and attack ads, but it'll be a crime to post anonymously on a NY website?
Man, liberals sure are a bunch of sissy bedwetting pansies, aren't they?

It is an interestin situation. There I guess so I can not spread false negative press against products I guess?

There is a whole industry sprung up around false internet views, clicks and likes. Go see Black Hat World forums for examples. Proxies, RDSL, the whole shady thing.

I have mixed feelings on this one as I do not understand how it will be applied.

It will be applied politically, of course.

An anonymous poster posts something that a liberal doesn't like. Said butthurt liberal will force the post to be removed.

So you think the law is meant for you?

The biggest issue with this sort of paranoia is that it's based in delusions of grandeur.

I hate to break it to you, but you are not important enough for the government to be after you.

You're a moron.

Hundreds of Liberty/constitution groups in New York have gone UNDERGROUND and HAVE TO RESORT TO SECRECY in order to not be disturbed.

That should tell you A LOT about how bad New York is, not usoo.

The fact that a peaceful ESSAY writing group operates in total secrecy is a blight on New York's history.

Ooh! Hundreds of liberty groups huh? Scary! Underground? What are they, a bunch of pussies?

meanwhile the US Government is spying on our phone and internet usage and the IRS targeted groups against the President for special treatment. What does it take to wake you up a knock on the door one dark night by armed agents?

I have been awake. The phone and Internet shit has been on my radar for years. Where have you been. The iRS targeting is nothing. Groups "against the President" should not be tax exempt......should they?

You think I like the idea of anyone collecting my communications data? Wrongo.....idiot boy. That is why my MAIN ISSUE is campaign finance reform. I want the decision makers beholden to the electorate. Don't you?

Yep. Campaign finance reform. An issue that gets everyone on the same page.....until, that is, assholes throw it out in favor of getting their guy elected.

Who is with me?
Okay you say any group that is against the president? So when we have another republican president, all the liberal groups should lose their tax exempt status?

Come on, where are the liberals on this subject? Do you really think when a republican becomes president he can attack liberal organizations?

NY is controlled by the Schumer/Clinton partnership. They want to know your information, but it's against the law for you to know theirs because they say so. that saves them the trouble of having to do the right thing or say the truth. They can lie their asses off once Sandy Berger does his thing of eliminating the truth from the record. Then, lies are the truth, legally.

They just want you to shut up and eat what they shovel at you for your own good. Did I say YOUR own good? Nah, it's for THEIR own good!

Clinton and Schumer are US Senators. They have no power over New York, particularly the New York State Senate, which is where this bill came from (and this bill was written by 2 Republicans)

Guys, I heard the bill was written by a few Republicans.

Good idea or bad. Voted for by Democrats or Republicans. You will get more support if you just call the pointless idea good or bad and quit yelling names.

That bill is an example of a lawmaker who doesn't understand how the internet works, and has no chance of passing. It's been "in committee" for a few years now.

Seriously.

Unless someone has a good amount of time and money..the internet is pretty anonymous.

So they're part of the CONSPIRACY too?

Um yeah moron, they are a part of the media mega corporation out here, whose sole intention is to maintain the two-party facade.

Just look at this article about our group doing a filibuster at the town hall.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/...ed-islip-town-filibuster-not-needed-1.4646537

1) If we didn't THREATEN to filibuster, they never would have dismissed the motion. Newsday made it sound like they decided to dismiss it on their own. Oh yeah, they didn't' even mention the core group of 11 people were all from the Libertarian party - great reporting! We asked for a retraction and clarification ... ignored ... they didn't' even respond.

2) It was bi-partisan attempt to install a local dictator of Islip, accountable to no one.

We had 11 members plus about 160 others who joined randomly once we arrived, since they were there for the same reason. You see, an assembly of citizens is VERY powerful (on the local level, which is why we need to restore local contorl of the fedearl government by lifting the cap on Representatives from 435 to 8000+). The party czars in Suffolk county have united in their jihad against the Libertarian party ever since --- with Newsday. They didn't even put Gigi Bowman on the TV or newspaper during our 800 person Monsanto protest, they only put a few young teenagers on ...

Last edited:
Come on, where are the liberals on this subject? Do you really think when a republican becomes president he can attack liberal organizations?

Man, imagine the howling if he/she did?

Liberals HATE it when you do what they do. It's not FAIIIIIR!!!

The bill states:

I would expect most blue states to go in this direction. Liberals are paranoid to the point of distraction.

The simplest solution would seem to be just hosting the site someplace else. I don't see this actually accomplishing anything.

The concern isn't for anyone out of state, or even outside the local school district. It is an anti-bullying concern.

Right! So, Let's pretend this law is in effect and this website is located in New York. I make a post calling TDM the liar she is. She whines to the state of New York. They then demand that I identify myself over the Internet, My name, address and phone number are then available to everyone on the site. Next week, My property gets vandalized or someone takes a pot-shot at me. TDM claims it wasn't her and since every Tom, Dick and Harry now has my information, I cannot prove it was her. Who is the victim of bullying?

Obviously, NY legislators have their heads up their asses!

Gees, I wonder if they would make me reveal my identity over that comment!

Immie

The bill states:

I would expect most blue states to go in this direction. Liberals are paranoid to the point of distraction.

You know what? The idea of this worries me too and I do not consider myself paranoid. I do not like the idea of being forced to reveal my information over the Internet and most assuredly not to some damned politician!

Immie

Did no one else realize this story is more than a year old, and the bill in question died in commitee last June?

Did no one else realize this story is more than a year old, and the bill in question died in commitee last June?

Nope, I missed that.

Doesn't mean I don't think the idiots in New York don't have their heads up their asses.

The idea of proposing such lunacy should get them impeached immediately.

Immie

Nope, I missed that.

Doesn't mean I don't think the idiots in New York don't have their heads up their asses.

The idea of proposing such lunacy should get them impeached immediately.

Immie

Well, the guy who wrote the bill is named Thomas O'Mara, from NYS Distict 58, which is in the finger lakes region, southeast of Rochester. Feel free to petition for his impeachment.

I don't see this as a malicious thing, though. I see this as an old man hearing about online bullying, and wants to do something about it - but didn't bother to think it through.

The bill was bad, and it died in commitee. Everything happened the way it was supposed to.

Forum List

Back