NHL is White

Of course it's white. It's primarily a Canadian sport. There are very few black NHL players, and I would bet very few blacks who coach or are members of a front office in the NHL.
When I was growing up in
San Diego, California, in the 60's I used to ride the bus to the now defunct Sports Arena there to watch the San Diego Gulls play. There was a popular Black player on the team named Willie O'Ree.

I didn't really like hockey that much, but some of BEST fights that I ever saw were at hockey games.

While things are changing a bit, I always figured it's all about climate. In Canada - which has longer and more severe winters - ice skating is part of the culture. Canadian toddlers are on skates shortly after they learn to walk. By the time they are 8 years old they are playing hockey. When a typical American hockey kid is 8 years old he is LEARNING HOW TO SKATE. The American kid has a one hell of a task just trying to catch up with the Canadians (and Russians, etc.).

Further, in the U.S., hockey is a hell of an expensive sport to pursue seriously. The equipment and uniforms are expensive, the ice time costs money, and you find yourself traveling thousands of miles a year just to hockey games and practices.

I can't even imagine how an inner-city Black kid - who might have the natural abilities to be an excellent hockey player - would even get involved.

As for NHL staffing, again it is a cultural thing. How many Blacks have any interest whatsoever in the sport?

Same goes for tennis.

Forum List

Back