No alternatives for people with pre-existing conditions

Clementine

Platinum Member
Dec 18, 2011
Has anyone in the administration addressed this matter? What do you liberals who support Obamacare suggest for the patients with pre-existing conditions who will not have their medications covered by Obamacare? Some drug therapy is currently costing over $50,000 a year and now people must find a way to pay out of pocket if their medication is not on the list. Now what?

Those with expensive diseases such as lupus or multiple sclerosis face something called a “closed drug formulary.” Dr. Scott Gottlieb of the American Enterprise Institute explains:
“If the medicine that you need isn’t on that list, it’s not covered at all. You have to pay completely out of pocket to get that medicine, and the money you spend doesn’t count against your deductible, and it doesn’t count against your out of pocket limits, so you’re basically on your own

Remember Obama Saying People With Pre-Existing Conditions Shouldn?t Pay More? Yeah, Well? | | Independent Journal Review

I stopped at Hepatitis C. The message seems like something out of a tasteless SNL skit. "Serious pre-existing illness? Die mofo die, Die mofo die."

and how does this differ from how the insurance companies treat orphan drugs? the drugs that will only help a small number of people etc....seems everyone has forgotten the troubles that patients had and still have with private insurance companies

Um............bullshit.

Really?

ACA 5-Tier Drug List
For Individual PPO and Small Group HMO, POS, and PPO
plans (including Marketplace/QHP plans) with ACA-compliant
coverage becoming effective on or after January 1, 2014

http://www.healthfirsthealthplans.org/health_plans/individual/2014/2014_aca_formulary.pdf

Just one example out there.

Listen.

Drug formularies are nothing new. There have always been drug formularies.

The blog cited in the OP is a steaming pile of half truths with a nice topping of fear sauce. The author does not even attempt to substantiate the claims made.

The ACA is not going to force insured persons with preexisting conditions.....or any conditions......to pay tens of thousands of dollars per year for prescription drugs.

Just stop it already.

Dear Clementine: while people pick apart your post to ignore the real issue, one of my friends is facing huge crisis without coverage by Obamacare (at best he would have to put 900 down he does not have and owe 8800 he cannot pay before his care is covered).

I wanted to ask all Democrats to organize means of paying for the difference this bill does not cover. the only way I see to live up to Democrat standards of inclusion of diversity and equal protections is for govt to cover all people. I would agree with laws if they could guarantee all people could be covered for 100 a month, and spiritual healing was freely adopted universally to cut the costs of crime nad disease down to the minimum. but if people cannot agree on a universal policy it should be private int he meantime how can the democrat party cover its own members, and push for fundraising or pooling of rsources to help my friend daron who is not only democrat but voted for obama. so please let's help him. and see how many people respond to their own claims of wanting to cover everyone.

Has anyone in the administration addressed this matter? What do you liberals who support Obamacare suggest for the patients with pre-existing conditions who will not have their medications covered by Obamacare? Some drug therapy is currently costing over $50,000 a year and now people must find a way to pay out of pocket if their medication is not on the list. Now what?

Those with expensive diseases such as lupus or multiple sclerosis face something called a “closed drug formulary.” Dr. Scott Gottlieb of the American Enterprise Institute explains:
“If the medicine that you need isn’t on that list, it’s not covered at all. You have to pay completely out of pocket to get that medicine, and the money you spend doesn’t count against your deductible, and it doesn’t count against your out of pocket limits, so you’re basically on your own

Remember Obama Saying People With Pre-Existing Conditions Shouldn?t Pay More? Yeah, Well? | | Independent Journal Review

and how does this differ from how the insurance companies treat orphan drugs? the drugs that will only help a small number of people etc....seems everyone has forgotten the troubles that patients had and still have with private insurance companies

I thought that WAS one of the complaints about insurance mandates.

it still does not guarantee insurance companies will cover the costs.

doctors are quitting in fear they will not get paid under this system
or they cannot afford the administrative support to interface with insurance and govt regs.

paying insurance does not create doctors or facilities to provide services
to the millions of newly insured people. it pays insurance companies.

I thought that WAS one of the complaints about insurance mandates.

it still does not guarantee insurance companies will cover the costs.

doctors are quitting in fear they will not get paid under this system
or they cannot afford the administrative support to interface with insurance and govt regs.

paying insurance does not create doctors or facilities to provide services
to the millions of newly insured people. it pays insurance companies.
While i disagree with your solution could you ask the moderators if solicitations for people like your friend can be done here in some fashion that does not break the rules?

Um............bullshit.

Really?

ACA 5-Tier Drug List
For Individual PPO and Small Group HMO, POS, and PPO
plans (including Marketplace/QHP plans) with ACA-compliant
coverage becoming effective on or after January 1, 2014

http://www.healthfirsthealthplans.org/health_plans/individual/2014/2014_aca_formulary.pdf

Just one example out there.

Listen.

Drug formularies are nothing new. There have always been drug formularies.

The blog cited in the OP is a steaming pile of half truths with a nice topping of fear sauce. The author does not even attempt to substantiate the claims made.

The ACA is not going to force insured persons with preexisting conditions.....or any conditions......to pay tens of thousands of dollars per year for prescription drugs.

Just stop it already.

I understood your issue with the OP which is why I provided a factual document.
Multiple Sclerosis Agents
Multiple Sclerosis Agents - Interferons
AVONEX T5 PA
REBIF TITRATION PACK T5 PA
Multiple Sclerosis Agents - Monoclonal Antibodies
TYSABRI T5 PA
Multiple Sclerosis Agents - Potassium Channel Blockers
AMPYRA T5 PA
Multiple Sclerosis Agents
COPAXONE T5 PA

Interesting that each of these drugs are for MS tx, which is what the OP link was about.
Also interesting that you didn't attempt to find anything factual that would either back up or refute the OP.

Telling some one to stop is like sticking your fingers in your ears and squeezing your eyes closed.

Unless you're in the healthcare industry, you really don't get it, now, but you will.

It was a Democrat fraud from the beginning, which is why they didn't want anyone to see it until it was passed. We can expect a lot more of these types of "surprises" in the months ahead.

Forum List

Back