No Amphibious Primates

Is it strange there are no amphibious or fully aquatic primates?

• Total voters

But WAIT!!

funny-scuba-diving-pictures.jpg

How strange. Whales and dolphins are smart mammals that evolved from land and back into the sea, but there is not a single primate or close human relative that ever ventured back into the sea.

I just realized how strange that is.

I saw my niece watching the "Little Mermaid" and it struck me how strange it is that there actually are NOT any amphibious or fully aquatic primates.

Somehow I knew mermaids were gonna come up. :) That animal planet mermaid "documentary" mentioned/speculated about primates who did go back to the sea becomming the alledged merpeople.

It's more strange that despite there being vastly older species than humans, many ocean dwelling species didn't evolve any measurable human-like intelligence whereas a much younger species, our's, did. Sharks are much as they've been for over 200 million years yet still make the mistake of nibbling surfers thinking they're seals. :) Whereas our species split the atom and has started to develop space travel in a thousandth the time.

How strange. Whales and dolphins are smart mammals that evolved from land and back into the sea, but there is not a single primate or close human relative that ever ventured back into the sea.

I saw my niece watching the "Little Mermaid" and it struck me how strange it is that there actually are NOT any amphibious or fully aquatic primates.

Somehow I knew mermaids were gonna come up. :) That animal planet mermaid "documentary" mentioned/speculated about primates who did go back to the sea becomming the alledged merpeople.

It's more strange that despite there being vastly older species than humans, many ocean dwelling species didn't evolve any measurable human-like intelligence whereas a much younger species, our's, did. Sharks are much as they've been for over 200 million years yet still make the mistake of nibbling surfers thinking they're seals. :) Whereas our species split the atom and has started to develop space travel in a thousandth the time.

Sharks peaked in high school...

Sharks peaked in high school...

I hate those commercials. :)

The Galapagos Islands / adaptation provide much of the information for this issue. The beaks of the same species of birds are adapted to the different islands! Quite remarkable this mother earth is.

Watch the "mockumentary" "Mermaids: The Body Found:".

TheOldSchool

Without chastizing me for our political disagreements, can you read this article, it's actually quite fascinating.

The Aquatic Ape Did Humans Evolve in Water

The simple answer is that no, Humans did not evolve from an aquatic ape. Hairlessness, for instance, is a relatively new evolutionary development among hominids, as is Encephalization.

Here is a wiki article about the hypothesis:

Aquatic ape hypothesis - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

TheOldSchool

Without chastizing me for our political disagreements, can you read this article, it's actually quite fascinating.

The Aquatic Ape Did Humans Evolve in Water
I've read all about that theory before. It's been widely panned. The reason it's gotten attention in the last couple of years, and probably why you've seen articles about it, is because Discovery channel made a completely fake documentary about how Mermaids might be real. They used the aquatic ape theory as the number 1 reason why there might be mermaids. It was one of the most shameless things they've ever done as they tried to pass the documentary off as real.

We evolved to swing from trees and then see over the tall grass when for some mysterious reason in history we came down from the trees. Arms and legs are horrible for living in water.

Whutt???

Kemosabe hath spoken too soon:

:D

Oh my God. Oh God. Oh fuck. Why even bother with this site anymore. Wow. I need to find a hobby. Jesus T2A. Why...

What?

I'm just wondering since humans and other primates can swim, I wonder why natural selection culled any amphibious primate branches. Humans do have webbed fingers (ever so slightly).
Actually humans are the only great apes that swim.

Unlike most mammals, humans cannot swim instinctively. They must be taught. And when taught, great apes can swim and dive as well.

Chimpanzees Orangutans Can Swim and Dive Biologists Prove Biology Sci-News.com

Behavior In Water CARTA

Mermaids???

REALLY??

Oh my God. Oh God. Oh fuck. Why even bother with this site anymore. Wow. I need to find a hobby. Jesus T2A. Why...

What?

I'm just wondering since humans and other primates can swim, I wonder why natural selection culled any amphibious primate branches. Humans do have webbed fingers (ever so slightly).

That would be cool if we could figure out how to genetically modify or alter DNA or clone a gilled species of man. I wanted to also make humans that can breathe outer space but that's all probably crazy.

No doubt there are planets in the cosmos with creatures you are thinking about. Hundreds of thousands of years on the ocean surface living on boats after we melt the solar caps. Yachts sailboats. Think waterwold with Kevin cosner. We would develops gills eventually

What?

That would be cool if we could figure out how to genetically modify or alter DNA or clone a gilled species of man. I wanted to also make humans that can breathe outer space but that's all probably crazy.

No doubt there are planets in the cosmos with creatures you are thinking about. Hundreds of thousands of years on the ocean surface living on boats after we melt the solar caps. Yachts sailboats. Think waterwold with Kevin cosner. We would develops gills eventually

Breathing, or getting oxygen from water, is one thing. But there is no "breathing outer space". There is no oxygen or anything else in the vacuum of space.

What?

Breathing, or getting oxygen from water, is one thing. But there is no "breathing outer space". There is no oxygen or anything else in the vacuum of space.

What is something (with a very slow life cycle) learned to breathe nebulae, or what if some microbe evolved to harness zero point energy?

Forum List

Back