No mass murderer was ever deterred by a law

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Murder's always been illegal. Yet that has never prevented a murderer from commiting murder. So why do gun control people think passing a law banning a gun will prevent gun violence? Attempted murder and murder are already illegal. But that doesn't stop it from happening.

Mass shootings happen in Europe even with their ultra strict gun control laws. The bad guys still manage to get a hold of firearms to commit their crimes. And when your intention is to kill people do you really think they're taking any notice of a gun law? "Gee, I was gonna go shoot up my work I was fired from but it's illegal. Guess I'll do something else instead." That never happens. Yet we continue to try and calm our fears of violence by banning the tools used. It's like banning the car after a drunk driving incident. That never happens either because it wasn't the car's fault but the driver's. Yet we don't use this obvious straight-foward logic when it comes to guns. Why?

People associate guns with violence, and rightly so. That's fair enough. But a gun can also end violence as when police arrive. If you're faced with some homocidal lunatic shooting at you and you're unarmed, you call the Police. Why? Because they have guns and training to use them. Yet in fact, police training is very minimal and a civilian can get vastly superior training in less time to make themselves safer in the event of a shooting incident. But if only police and criminals have guns we're all being put in greater jeopardy. Many mass murderers have said they chose a gun-free locale over ones where people may be armed. So what do gun-free zones accomplish? And what good is a gun ban or restriction when only people who never go on shooting sprees abide by them?

It's understandable to wanna feel safe. But the only way to feel safe is if you actually are safe. Laws never prevented a crime. Sometimes the best solution to a criminal problem is to match up and answer fire. And while untrained people firing back at a bad guy can result in 'friendly fire' and even more victims, it's better to risk that than as much as declare open hunting season on families at a mall, or one's co-workers.

To the gun control people: if you believe gun bans and restrictions are how we should do things ask yourselves if you'd apply that logic on anational level and support military disarmament. If guns are the problem, and getting rid of guns is the solution, then extending that logic the US should disarm itself. Or would that seem like a problem? And if so, why isn't the notion just as ill-advised on a personal level as national? If someone starts lobbing missiles at us, or hostile navies show up and troops are coming ashore what dya wanna do about it? Lodge a protest with the UN and hope peacekeepers show up soon enough to save you, or do you want an armed response?

Last edited:
The worst mass murderers WERE the law.

They disarmed the public first.

When bed wetters talk about gun control, remember that their ultimate goal is disarmament. The incremental bullshit is toward that objective. They do not want their masters inhibited in the ability to "manage the human resource".

Don't ever forget that and don't ever trust a libtard.

Mass murders are crazy. They don't care about law. It's only their impulse to kill that controls them.

Murder's always been illegal. Yet that has never prevented a murderer from commiting murder. So why do gun control people think passing a law banning a gun will prevent gun violence? Attempted murder and murder are already illegal. But that doesn't stop it from happening.

Let's turn your argument around. You seem to think that since gun laws are ineffective, we should not have them.

Since you just argued laws against murder are ineffective, then shouldn't we do away with laws against murder, too?

Mass shootings happen in Europe even with their ultra strict gun control laws.

Nowhere near the rate they occur here. Not even close. Apples and oranges fallacy.

Let's turn your argument around. You seem to think that since gun laws are ineffective, we should not have them.

Since you just argued laws against murder are ineffective, then shouldn't we do away with laws against murder, too?

Nowhere near the rate they occur here. Not even close. Apples and oranges fallacy.
Most people don't commit murder and it has nothing to do with the law. I don't even like to kill insects.

Most people don't commit murder and it has nothing to do with the law. I don't even like to kill insects.

---
That should be the focus; those individuals who are more likely to be anti-social and commit crimes.
These are the people that should not get their hands on guns to make their crimes easier and more severe.

I consider myself a socially responsible Libertarian. People should be free to do what they want ... Unless their behavioral pattern harms others.

---
That should be the focus; those individuals who are more likely to be anti-social and commit crimes.
These are the people that should not get their hands on guns yo make their crimes easier and more severe.

I consider myself a socially responsible Libertarian. People should be free to do what they want ... Unless their behavioral pattern harms others.
I don't buy this mental health dodge. It's a red herring.

And I think we all know that if a law was crafted which prevented anyone under mental health care treatment in the past five years from getting a gun, the NRA and all the usual suspects would come out against it.

---
These are the people that should not get their hands on guns yo make their crimes easier and more severe.

And I think we all know that if a law was crafted which prevented anyone under mental health care treatment in the past five years from getting a gun, the NRA and all the usual suspects would come out against it.
I've bought guns. In a very strict gun law state. You fill out a form where they ask you if you've ever been treated for mental illness. That's it. They do not have the authority to get access to your medical records.

Is that what you want? Access to everyone's personal medical records?

So we should repeal Ronald Reagan's ban on machine guns?

---

---
Not just "mental health".
Those individuals who are not socially responsible should also have their gun rights limited.

For example, in San Francisco, a gun owner left his gun in a lock box in his unlocked car. His gun was stolen by violent transients, and his gun was used to kill 2 innocent people.
That gun owner should no longer be allowed to carry guns in the public arena.

---

I've bought guns. In a very strict gun law state. You fill out a form where they ask you if you've ever been treated for mental illness. That's it. They do not have the authority to get access to your medical records.

That is why I don't buy the mental health dodge. The Right has absolutely no intention of going anywhere with that. It's the deflection du jour.

---

That is why I don't buy the mental health dodge. The Right has absolutely no intention of going anywhere with that. It's the deflection du jour.
Just leave it as it is, and enforce the current laws... It's that simple.

No more needs to be done than that.

Hashtag talking is different than doing

AZ republicans just defeated another bill by the democrats requiring background checks on all gun sales.

Arizona bill would require background checks at gun shows

There is no possible excuse for this callus indifference to the public safety.

So how many mass shootings have occurred in AZ with guns purchased at gun shows from non-dealer sellers? In other words back up your claim of "callus indifference", what would the law change?

---
These are the people that should not get their hands on guns to make their crimes easier and more severe.

Never though of Wiccans as Libertarians before but the Wiccan Rede goes, "If it harm none, do as you will." :)

Mass shootings happen in Europe even with their ultra strict gun control laws. The bad guys still manage to get a hold of firearms to commit their crimes. And when your intention is to kill people do you really think they're taking any notice of a gun law? "Gee, I was gonna go shoot up my work I was fired from but it's illegal. Guess I'll do something else instead." That never happens. Yet we continue to try and calm our fears of violence by banning the tools used. It's like banning the car after a drunk driving incident. That never happens either because it wasn't the car's fault but the driver's. Yet we don't use this obvious straight-foward logic when it comes to guns. Why?

People associate guns with violence, and rightly so. That's fair enough. But a gun can also end violence as when police arrive. If you're faced with some homocidal lunatic shooting at you and you're unarmed, you call the Police. Why? Because they have guns and training to use them. Yet in fact, police training is very minimal and a civilian can get vastly superior training in less time to make themselves safer in the event of a shooting incident. But if only police and criminals have guns we're all being put in greater jeopardy. Many mass murderers have said they chose a gun-free locale over ones where people may be armed. So what do gun-free zones accomplish? And what good is a gun ban or restriction when only people who never go on shooting sprees abide by them?

It's understandable to wanna feel safe. But the only way to feel safe is if you actually are safe. Laws never prevented a crime. Sometimes the best solution to a criminal problem is to match up and answer fire. And while untrained people firing back at a bad guy can result in 'friendly fire' and even more victims, it's better to risk that than as much as declare open hunting season on families at a mall, or one's co-workers.

To the gun control people: if you believe gun bans and restrictions are how we should do things ask yourselves if you'd apply that logic on anational level and support military disarmament. If guns are the problem, and getting rid of guns is the solution, then extending that logic the US should disarm itself. Or would that seem like a problem? And if so, why isn't the notion just as ill-advised on a personal level as national? If someone starts lobbing missiles at us, or hostile navies show up and troops are coming ashore what dya wanna do about it? Lodge a protest with the UN and hope peacekeepers show up soon enough to save you, or do you want an armed response?
Patently stupid premise. Law cannot deter crime. If it were so, there would be no crime. Law merely stipulates what crime is.

AZ republicans just defeated another bill by the democrats requiring background checks on all gun sales.

Arizona bill would require background checks at gun shows

There is no possible excuse for this callus indifference to the public safety.
Background checks are a joke. They don't have authority to check into people's mental health. They might be able to see if a criminal record pops up but criminals seem to always be able to get guns.

In Britain they banned guns. So criminals started using knives. Now Britain has banned knives.

So now criminals are using antique guns.

Forum List

Back