North America has a new glacier and its growing.

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
It may seem surprising that there's a growing baby glacier in Washington State, but its location is even more surprising: inside the steaming caldera of Mt. St. Helens itself! When St. Helens was still a placid Fuji-like cone, it was covered with a dozen small glaciers, but that all ended on May 18, 1980, when the top 1,300 feet of the mountain were blown off in a massive eruption of rock and lava. It was the largest landslide in recorded human history.

A new glacier rises from the ashes.

When the dust settled, the summit of Mt. St. Helens was a horseshoe-shaped ridge, a shadow of its former self. But speaking of shadows: the new horseshoe opens to the north, which means a lot of the crater is well-shaded from the sun. By 1988, there was snow and ice in the crater year-round, and by 1996 it was carving crevasses into the crater rim—making it, by definition, a glacier. The flowing layers of ice and rock were soon 660 feet deep....

Snip

In 2004, a second, slower eruption began at Mt. St. Helens, and geologists assumed that the new ice field would melt, causing new mudslides. In fact, the opposite happened. Amazingly, the hot magma pushed up a 900-foot-high dome inside the crater, shielding the baby glacier even more effectively. All winter, snow and ice slides down the crater rim into the glacier, so it's still expanding...

Amid Global Warming, North America Has a New Glacier

There were a dozen before the eruption. Now one of them grows back. I'm not impressed.

IF the planet were truly warming no glacier would reappear.. Now they are reforming as are two more in the Yellowstone region.

I wish they weren't disappearing worldwide, but they are. Do you have some reason to favor them melting?

IF the planet were truly warming no glacier would reappear.. Now they are reforming as are two more in the Yellowstone region.

That's a pretty dumb statement Billy Boy. If the world had uniformly warmed above freezing everywhere, there'd be no glaciers growing.

I wish they weren't disappearing worldwide, but they are. Do you have some reason to favor them melting?

Ummm, they aren't though. Are they? Some are retreating some are advancing. Thus your statement is false.

Ummm, they aren't though. Are they? Some are retreating some are advancing. Thus your statement is false.
Once again, Mr. Westwall engages in outright lies.

Glacier and Landscape Change in Response to Changing Climate

Worldwide, most mountain glaciers have been retreating since the end of the "Little Ice Age". Although this date varies from region to region, in most locations, retreat was underway by the late 1800s. As a consequence of glacier meltwater entering the global ocean, global sea level has risen about 30 centimeters (about one foot). Glaciers vary in size in response to changes in global and regional climate.

LOL......growing glaciers..........the global warming alarmists told us years ago theyd be gone by now!!!:2up:

The level of fraud in these people is freaky!!!:coffee:

Worldwide, most mountain glaciers have been retreating since the end of the "Little Ice Age". Although this date varies from region to region, in most locations, retreat was underway by the late 1800s. As a consequence of glacier meltwater entering the global ocean, global sea level has risen about 30 centimeters (about one foot). Glaciers vary in size in response to changes in global and regional climate.

Getting shrill there olfraud! I must have hit a nerve. Tell me. Are ANY glaciers advancing? Anywhere in the world?

My statement is true. The net change in glaciers, worldwide, is decidedly negative. The number of glaciers increasing in size is a tiny percentage of the total.

It's very much like the numbers of scientists who accept the IPCC conclusions and that reject them. Both groups exist, but one is MUCH larger than the other.

My statement is true. The net change in glaciers, worldwide, is decidedly negative. The number of glaciers increasing in size is a tiny percentage of the total.

It's very much like the numbers of scientists who accept the IPCC conclusions and that reject them. Both groups exist, but one is MUCH larger than the other.

When there was an ice age were any of the glaciers retreating?

When the Earth's average temperature is up 20C, will any be growing?

God are you stupid.

And, let me get this straight. You claim to have a PhD in geology? What was the topic of your thesis? Not the title, the topic.

That's a pretty dumb statement Billy Boy. If the world had uniformly warmed above freezing everywhere, there'd be no glaciers growing.

Nope.. just laughing at your stupidity and niavety.

World wide glacier retreat is almost a zero sum game.. But I dont expect you acknowledge it as you believe everything John Cook and the SKS cartoonists print as gospel truth.

Greenland retained 99.7% of its ice mass in 20th Century!!!

As the article linked points out the hype of ice loss globlally is just bull shit hype.. When the numbers for most regions are placed in proper perspective its all less than 0.3% total ice loss..

ITS NOT A DAM EMERGENCY OF ANY KIND YOU FUCKING MORON!

Getting shrill there olfraud! I must have hit a nerve. Tell me. Are ANY glaciers advancing? Anywhere in the world?
Hit a nerve? You silly senile old lying ass, I posted the research that the from the USGS. I assume you know who they are.

http://pubs.usgs.gov/pp/p1386k/pdf/02_1386K_part1.pdf

The key findings from the comprehensive analysis are the following: • Alexander Archipelago, Aleutian Islands, and Kodiak Island: Every insular glacier examined showed evidence of thinning and retreat. Some glaciers have disappeared since being mapped in the middle 20th century. • Coast Mountains, St. Elias Mountains, Chugach Mountains, Kenai Mountains, Wrangell Mountains, Alaska Range, and the Aleutian Range: More than 95 percent of the glaciers ending below an elevation of approximately 1,500 m are retreating and (or) thinning. Of those glaciers that are advancing, many have tidewater termini. The two largest Alaskan glaciers, Bering and Malaspina, are losing several cubic kilometers of ice each year to melting and calving. • Talkeetna Mountains, Wood River Mountains, Kigluaik Mountains, and the Brooks Range: Every glacier scrutinized showed evidence of retreat. Of 109 glaciers in the Wood River Mountains, all are or were retreating; some have disappeared since they were first mapped, photographed, or imaged. In spite of the significant changes at lower elevations, not every Alaskan glacier is thinning and retreating. In several ranges, no changes were noted in glaciers situated at higher elevations. Glaciers that were surging or had recently advanced by surging were also noted. This type of glacier advances by redistributing existing glacier ice over a larger area rather than by increased accumulation. Consequently, following a surge, more ice surface area is exposed to ablation.

What we see in Alaska pretty much goes for the rest of the planet. And your denials of reality will not add an ounce of ice to the melting glaciers.

Forum List

Back