North Carolina approves amendment banning gay marriage

Do you believe in States rights and the right to Vote? or do you not believe in the constitution.. which?

Two things Willow. First is that States shouldn’t be able to vote away individual rights and liberties. Secondly, my argument is mostly an ideological one.

As Americans, we vote. If we want, we can all vote that everyone needs to be inside by 9:00pm, purple T-shirts are not allowed, and 70% of your income needs to be sent to the State Government so that they can redistribute it to those in need.

I – personally - am against those sorts of things, as I believe the individual should be able to do whatever makes them happy, so long as what they’re doing is not infringing upon the rights of others within the community. Assault or rape - for instance, should obviously be prohibited.

Two same-sex couples being able to marry and receive the same legal rights as straight couples does NOT infringe on anyone's personal rights. If you think it does, I’m all ears and ready for debate (anyone).

The problem with these Authoritarian, Big Gov't Republicans is that they’re setting precedents that grow the size and reach of the government when it comes to the highly personal, social choices that we make. These sort of precedents exists in Communist countries, and countries with ruthless dictators. I don't want America to turn into a country like that; I want America to remain FREE.

Do you get where I'm coming from?

Last edited:
Yeah, it's a pretty sad commentary on America.

Our kids are gonna wonder why our generation hated gays for no reason. On the plus side though rational humans are at least making progress in this area, 10 years ago gays couldn't get married anywhere.

Soon enough gays will be able to get married almost everywhere and people on both sides will be wondering why this was made into such a big deal.

And as a side note the "sanctity of marriage" died with the popularity of divorce.

Recent voting seems to disagree with your prediction. Even in California, the most progressive state in the union, the people voted against gay marriage. not that it's correct, but it flies in the face of your predictions.

Everybody knows homos getting 'married' is kinda gross.

Yep. But what also was struck down was voting on the rights of others.

I really don't understand how you consider yourself a conservative while agreeing that mob rule is an American ideal.

that's bullshit, mob rule dictates smokers can't smoke in public.. they've had their rights to smoke cigarettes curtailed,, did you scream about that?

Second hand smoke is an actual health concern. Is their second hand gay? How does two homosexuals getting married affect you or anyone else?

Actually since you asked there is second hand gay. Have you heard of gay men who marry straight women? That's a good example of second hand gay,, the woman is forced to have gay sex and she doesn't even know it.

wasn't that a man and a woman situation?
Yep. But what also was struck down was voting on the rights of others.

I really don't understand how you consider yourself a conservative while agreeing that mob rule is an American ideal.

that's bullshit, mob rule dictates smokers can't smoke in public.. they've had their rights to smoke cigarettes curtailed,, did you scream about that?

No one has a right to smoke.

Predfan you're correct, thanks for the correction.

WillowTree I'm sure there's some aspect of you that's a minority. Whether it be your background (maybe you're irish american, german american, who knows) or the particular denomination of christianity you're a part of. I'll defend your protection as a minority just as much as I would gay americans.

She's part of the minority that doesn't pay federal income tax.

Yeah, it's a pretty sad commentary on America.

Our kids are gonna wonder why our generation hated gays for no reason. On the plus side though rational humans are at least making progress in this area, 10 years ago gays couldn't get married anywhere.

Soon enough gays will be able to get married almost everywhere and people on both sides will be wondering why this was made into such a big deal.

And as a side note the "sanctity of marriage" died with the popularity of divorce.

Recent voting seems to disagree with your prediction. Even in California, the most progressive state in the union, the people voted against gay marriage. not that it's correct, but it flies in the face of your predictions.

Half of Americans support legalizing gay marriage: Gallup | Reuters

Gallup's survey a year ago marked the first time in the poll's history that a majority of Americans - 53 percent - said they favored legalization of same-sex marriage. Gallup first asked the question in 1996, when only 27 percent of respondents supported it.

Second hand smoke is an actual health concern. Is their second hand gay? How does two homosexuals getting married affect you or anyone else?

Actually since you asked there is second hand gay. Have you heard of gay men who marry straight women? That's a good example of second hand gay,, the woman is forced to have gay sex and she doesn't even know it.

High risk of spreading AIDS in said scenario.

If same sex couples in NC wish to become legally married, They can move to any of the 8 states where marriage has been redefined to include homosexual unions.

This is the beauty of our system of government. People can vote with their feet if they lose at the polls.

Last edited:
Yeah NC! Way to write discrimination into your Constitution. History will not treat you well...

Well get ready, because it's likely to happen in a lot of other states too.

This is why we vote...and Majority rules. And it's not discrimination...nobody said they can't live like they want, they just want to change something that should never be changed. Too bad, so sad... :)

I would agree with you if the NC law stopped at defining marriage. Too bad it went on to deny legal privileges to all other types of unions as well.

Mob rule (majority rues) was not intended by the founding fathers. they built this republic on the "Rule of Law" not the "Rule of Man".

WTF? Is this serious?

If a woman has sex with a man, that is heterosexual sex.

For fucks sake, why do I even bother. I feel like I'm in the movie Idiocracy.

Do you believe in States rights and the right to Vote? or do you not believe in the constitution.. which?

Two things Willow. First is that States shouldn’t be able to vote away individual rights and liberties. Secondly, my argument is mostly an ideological one.

As Americans, we vote. If we want, we can all vote that everyone needs to be inside by 9:00pm, purple T-shirts are not allowed, and 70% of your income needs to be sent to the State Government so that they can redistribute it to those in need.

I – personally - am against those sorts of things, as I believe the individual should be able to do whatever makes them happy, so long as what they’re doing is not infringing upon the rights of others within the community. Assault or rape - for instance, should obviously be prohibited.

Two same-sex couples being able to marry and receive the same legal rights as straight couples is NOT infringing on the rights of anyone. If you think it is, I’m all ears (anyone).

The problem with these Authoritarian Republicans is that they’re setting precedents that grow the size and reach of the government when it comes to the highly personal, social choices that we make.

Do you get where I'm coming from?

They are not voting away liberty,, anyone who disagress with the voters of North Carolina can move to some place more to their liking. It has nothing to do with "Authoritarian Republican" asswipe. do you know who brought down the gay marriage issue in California? the black vote.. so then of course the liberals pitched their fit said they had "NO right to vote" and had the whole thing overturned.. Now all the black people who voted were disenfranchised. That's what's unconstitutional.

So preventing marriage will prevent them from being gay all together?

WTF? Is this serious?

If a woman has sex with a man, that is heterosexual sex.

For fucks sake, why do I even bother. I feel like I'm in the movie Idiocracy.

If she has sex with a gay man she's having gay sex.. think about it.. here,, I'll go you one better.. now just think before you explode,, do a little research if you like but the truth of the matter is that every single time you have sex with a person you're having sex with every person they've ever had sex with and likewise for him or her..

So preventing marriage will prevent them from being gay all together?

What the voters of North Carolina are saying is that we are tried of tolerating homosexuals. You want them you can have them.

Well then, we should cease all voting for Presidents, Senators and Congressmen.. some are anti gay marriage including the present one. he should not have the right to hold that view, in fact he should not be allowed to enter a voting booth.

There is a difference between voting away someone's liberties and voting for representation in government.

It's done every day,, am I at liberty to buy incandescent lightbulbs or not.

The statement was that there is a difference between voting away someone's liberties and voting for representation. You claimed that we should stop voting for politicians. it is not in any way shape or form, the same as voting away someone's liberties.

Yeah NC! Way to write discrimination into your Constitution. History will not treat you well...

Well get ready, because it's likely to happen in a lot of other states too.

This is why we vote...and Majority rules. And it's not discrimination...nobody said they can't live like they want, they just want to change something that should never be changed. Too bad, so sad... :)

Carol it's sad to read that you agree with the ability of the majority to vote away the rights of the minority.

It's basically the opposite of what this country was founded on.

But, i never said i agreed with voting away someone's rights.

Gays never had the right to marry so if i voted against this, i'm not taking away something they already had! They never had the right because our founding fathers never put it into the constitution...maybe believing it would never be an issue? I don't know....but now that it is, it's up to the people to decide, and that's what they're doing.

Just like Willow brought up....the issue of smokers. In michigan, the state decided there would be no smoking in public places. As a smoker...the state has taken away one of MY rights that i've had all of my life. So i've had a right taken away from me by the government. Gays never had the right to marry, so nothing was taken away from them...they just aren't getting what the "want".

Everybody knows homos getting 'married' is kinda gross.
I get it now. You need the government to shield your delicate mind.

Forum List

Back