Not all SC racists died with hate in their hearts

guno

Gold Member
Mar 18, 2014
the times they are a changing and for the better

'A South Carolina symbol of racism and hate is dead.

Maurice Bessinger claimed that slavery was good for black people, that whites were superior to blacks and that the white race should be kept pure.

Bessinger defiantly flew the Confederate battle flag over his Columbia-area Maurice’s BBQ joints."

Local news from Rock Hill SC The Herald

Will you never climb from your self-excavated hole of pity?

the times they are a changing and for the better

'A South Carolina symbol of racism and hate is dead.

Maurice Bessinger claimed that slavery was good for black people, that whites were superior to blacks and that the white race should be kept pure.

Bessinger defiantly flew the Confederate battle flag over his Columbia-area Maurice’s BBQ joints."

Local news from Rock Hill SC The Herald

"In 2009 – after reading in The Herald about the heroics of civil rights pioneers in Rock Hill, after watching the swearing-in of President Barack Obama, the first black American president – Wilson unloaded his hate.

“I need to tell some people I am sorry,” were the first words Elwin Wilson spoke to me – words that started an avalanche that reached around the globe. “I hated blacks, and I was wrong.”

Wilson apologized for his past as a Ku Klux Klansman and for beating up McCleod and the other protesters. He apologized for the May 9, 1961, beating of two protesters at Rock Hill’s bus station. One of those protesters, John Lewis, would later became a congressman from Georgia.

Wilson asked McCleod and he asked Lewis for forgiveness and both men said absolutely, they did forgive him. Racism was the enemy, not the man who had been taught to hate. Wilson apologized for hating the first black neighbors he had, and everyone else with dark skin he came across, for almost seven decades.'

Read more here: Local news from Rock Hill SC The Herald

Forum List

Back