Nuclear power is clean and safe. Why aren't we using more of it?

Fukushima, Chernobyl, 3 mile Island

3 reasons right there,
No one died because ot 3 Mile Island

And if you took that attitude over such a small number of failures you would never get in a plane again or drive a car or have a propane tank in your home etc etc etc.

We have already designed reactors that cannot melt down, that don't need to run at pressures of hundreds of times atmosphere and that can use the waste from our obsolete LWRs as fuel. We have enough of that nuclear waste in storage to power the country for at least a century

France has had up to 80% of their electricity provided by nuclear power and no significant accidents

A fatal plane or car accident is not a threat to the planet. Fukushima literally could have eradiated the ocean. All it takes is one bad meltdown to potentially poison most of the world, that's all. Japan is right now seriously planning on releasing radioactive water from fukushima into the ocean after everything that has happened.
Which is why we need to get rid of the old obsolete light water reactors and start using reactors that can't melt down, don't need to run at high pressure and don't need copious amounts of water for cooling

Cheaper, cleaner, more reliable.

The US could gain actual energy independence by nationalizing a nuclear power project.

Disposal of Nuclear waste is one of the major issues, however it wouldn't be if they'd catch up to my solution of changing the molecular structure of the waste to change it's properties to make it harmless to the environment when stored or disposed of.
This can be done with the atom writer laser technology I proposed back in the late 90's.
It also can be used to solve our regular waste disposing/dumping problems that exist around the globe, especially major cities.

The US could gain actual energy independence by nationalizing a nuclear power project.

Disposal of Nuclear waste is one of the major issues, however it wouldn't be if they'd catch up to my solution of changing the molecular structure of the waste to change itcs properties to make it harmless to the environment when stored or disposed of.
This can be done with the atom writer laser technology I proposed back in the late 90's.
It also can be used to solve our regular waste disposing/dumping problems that exist around the globe, especially major cities.
We have the capability to drill holes miles deep to get oil we can do the same thing to bury nuclear waste

And if we start implementing the use of smaller MSR reactors we can actually use the waste we have stored right now to fuel the new reactors.

We have enough waste just sitting around to power this country for at least a century

Disposal of Nuclear waste is one of the major issues, however it wouldn't be if they'd catch up to my solution of changing the molecular structure of the waste to change itcs properties to make it harmless to the environment when stored or disposed of.
We have the capability to drill holes miles deep to get oil we can do the same thing to bury nuclear waste

And if we start implementing the use of smaller MSR reactors we can actually use the waste we have stored right now to fuel the new reactors.

We have enough waste just sitting around to power this country for at least a century
It has so many years contained before seeping out and contaminating.
My atom write laser specs along with
an Austrian discovery on changing characteristics of the smallest particles, can solve waste disposal for the nuke industry and big city waste management.
Which also solves much of the waste (plastics) ending up in our poluted oceans (from transport and dumps on Islands that get swept back into the sea).

Nuclear energy is one of the most expensive forms of energy. Mainly because of the redundant systems needed to keep accidents from happening and the fuel rods are the most expensive materials on the planet. (Billions/ounce)

So... don't think that it's a good idea. Cheap energy is much better.

3 reasons right there,
Tons of new and safer designs these days. A helium pebble bed reactor is meltdown proof, for instance.
Hmm. The USA is the only nation who owns helium. Because of sanctions you stopped the delivery of helium to Zeppelin and LZ 129 "Hindenburg", which had been constructed for the use of helium, exploded in Lake Hurst in 1937.
Helium occurs naturally wherever there are uranium deposits.

3 reasons right there,
Tons of new and safer designs these days. A helium pebble bed reactor is meltdown proof, for instance.
Hmm. The USA is the only nation who owns helium. Because of sanctions you stopped the delivery of helium to Zeppelin and LZ 129 "Hindenburg", which had been constructed for the use of helium, exploded in Lake Hurst in 1937.
Why? I doubt this. We have uranium but no helium. As far as I heard is the USA the only nation which has helium. This means for my homecountry Germany: Don't try to use helium. This will cause problems. ... Okay ... I see now ... Helium is an dispensing process of radioactive processes with uranium - it's alpha radiation. And helium is also part of natural gas ... hmmm .... Strange ... why all this deep hate from the USA against Germany and Germans? Has this to do with your aircraft and military industry? Airships are relativelly cheap - they are not dangerous - and very bad war weapons. One needs only a big mast and an airport is ready. Transport costs are not very important. And airships are able to transport tons of material. The ideal transport medium asides railroads in the landmass Euro-Asia - and a good way how Europe, Russia and China could work together.

Last edited:

3 reasons right there,
Why? I doubt this. We have uranium but no helium. As far as I heard is the USA the only nation which has helium. This means for my homcountry Germany from my personal point of view: Don't try to use helium. This will cause problems.
You doubt it? It's chemistry in action, kid. Look it up.

Nuclear energy is one of the most expensive forms of energy. Mainly because of the redundant systems needed to keep accidents from happening and the fuel rods are the most expensive materials on the planet. (Billions/ounce)

The best energy is the energy we don't have to produce.

3 reasons right there,
Why? I doubt this. We have uranium but no helium. As far as I heard is the USA the only nation which has helium. This means for my homcountry Germany from my personal point of view: Don't try to use helium. This will cause problems.
I doubt everything - specially if English speaking people and Hochdeutsch speaking people say something. Read again what I wrote. I live in a dîfferent time sphere. I need some time to think. In the moment I think about a solar membrane around an airship.

Last edited:

3 reasons right there,
Helium comes from the radioactive decay of minerals such as uranium and thorium. It is constantly being produced underground.

When these elements go through alpha decay, they release and alpha particle, which is a helium nucleus. The nucleus quickly picks up some spare electrons, and thus becomes a helium atom.

Most helium is collected from natural gas wells.

Fun fact: Oil and gas drilling produce quite a bit of radioactive waste.

Last edited:

an Austrian discovery on changing characteristics of the smallest particles, can solve waste disposal for the nuke industry and big city waste management.
Which also solves much of the waste (plastics) ending up in our poluted oceans (from transport and dumps on Islands that get swept back into the sea).

Which is why we should be building reactors that don't need all those redundant systems because the are self limiting. We don't need huge concrete and steel containment domes for reactors that run at atmosphere rather than under high pressure.

Smaller reactors can be built in a factory and shipped by rail all for a fraction of the cost of the old obsolete light water reactors.

There is so much wrong in that post.

>Nuclear energy is one of the most expensive forms of energy.

1626026018570.png

Source link:
https://www.eia.gov/outlooks/aeo/pdf/electricity_generation.pdf

>the fuel rods are the most expensive materials on the planet. (Billions/ounce)

No, no, no. Here is a picture of a typical nuclear fuel assembly....

fuel-assembly-DQ1SetCX0AArQTk-(Areva).jpg.aspx

It has 264 fuel rods. The fuel in the rods is about 12 feet long.

It costs about one million dollars. It will provide about 182 million kWh of electricity over its four-year life.

Average home uses about 1000 kWh/month, so it will provide a year's worth of electricity to over 15,000 homes.

The nuke lobby remains slick and desperate to con everyone as ever.

$millions/oz. rather than "Billions"? Sun power is still way cheaper, safer, and cleaner. Plus one can find actual investors. No need for those massively subsidized roads, insurance programs, bombing target, or bomb making worries. I forget, has any nuke plant ever turned a profit yet? I don't think so,.. maybe one,.. but, oh boy how we've blown shit up with that stuff, amiright!

Last edited:
Yep, lots of nuke derangement syndrome in PA. I've seen it up close and personal. Not pretty.

Last edited:
The nuke lobby remains slick and desperate to con everyone as ever.

$millions/oz. rather than "Billions"? Sun power is still way cheaper, safer, and cleaner. Plus one can find actual investors. No need for those massively subsidized roads, insurance programs, bombing target, or bomb making worries. I forget, has any nuke plant ever turned a profit yet? I don't think so,.. maybe one,.. but, oh boy how we've blown stuff up with that stuff, amiright!
>$millions/oz. rather than "Billions"

Goodness grief, where do you guys get your BS from?

As I posted, that nuclear fuel assembly costs about $1M. It has about 450 kgs of U in it. (That's 16000 ounces for you.)

Uranium ore costs less than $100 per pound before being processed into uranium oxide fuel pellets for use in that fuel assembly.

>Sun power is still way cheaper,

Why don't you have solar panels on your roof then? At least I have a solar-powered calculator, LOL.

>bomb making worries

Um, the uranium used in power plant reactors is less than 5% U-235. Bombs are >90%. You know not what you worry about.

>bombing target

You would be hard pressed to find a structure more bomb-hardened than a containment dome. More nonsense.

>as any nuke plant ever turned a profit yet?

There are 93 power reactors in the US. The large majority are profitable.

Each form of power production has its issues. We all know about fossil fuels. Wind and solar are unreliable and intermittent, and therefore, you can't rely upon them solely. The other base-load plants have to be built anyway (so why even build the wind and solar plants, one might ask). You won't get much renewable power on windless snow-covered nights, will you?

I am for a mix. My favorite power source is large hydro. It's cheapest, reliable, and can adjust power output easily on demand, unlike other forms including coal, nuclear and renewables. Plus, you get a big lake. However, hydro is historically the most dangerous way to produce power.

Nukes and fossil are great too. The US has hundreds of years of coal supply.

Right now in the US, our energy markets are in disarray, and renewable mandates and subsidies are responsible for a lot of the mess...

Last edited:
>$millions/oz. rather than "Billions"
That was a question.
Uranium ore costs less than $100 per pound before being processed into uranium oxide fuel pellets for use in that fuel assembly.
And the price of tea in China? The "fuel rods", Pyle. Factor in all the costs.
Why don't you have solar panels on your roof then?
I do and have for many years. Why don't you?
There are 93 power reactors in the US. The large majority are profitable.
Link? Quote? Anything?

Which is why we should be building reactors that don't need all those redundant systems because the are self limiting. We don't need huge concrete and steel containment domes for reactors that run at atmosphere rather than under high pressure.

Smaller reactors can be built in a factory and shipped by rail all for a fraction of the cost of the old obsolete light water reactors.
Or just have individual hydrogen units the size of a emergency generator, power household and plugin cars -the waste product of such is merely water.

Why don't you have solar panels on your roof then?
I do and have for many years. Why don't you?
Good for you. At least you practice what you preach. Please share their capacity and cost.

I don't have any because it does not make economic sense to do so. The only time solar is really affordable is when one is far from the grid. But some people get them because it makes them feel good.

Forum List

Back