Nunes sues Twitter, some users, seeks over $250M alleging anti-conservative 'shadow bans,' smears

And it begins. I predict this will be just the first of a flood of lawsuits against these internet media companies. They brought it on themselves.

California GOP Rep. Devin Nunes filed a major lawsuit seeking $250 million in compensatory damages and $350,000 in punitive damages against Twitter and a handful of its users on Monday, accusing the social media site of "shadow-banning conservatives" including himself to influence the 2018 elections, systematically censoring opposing viewpoints and totally "ignoring" lawful complaints of repeated abusive behavior.

In a complaint filed in Virginia state court on Monday, obtained by Fox News, Nunes said Twitter was guilty of "knowingly hosting and monetizing content that is clearly abusive, hateful and defamatory – providing both a voice and financial incentive to the defamers – thereby facilitating defamation on its platform."

Although federal law ordinarily exempts services like Twitter from defamation liability, Nunes' suit said the platform has taken such an active role in curating and banning content that it should face liability like any other organization that defames.

"Twitter created and developed the content at issue in this case by transforming false accusations of criminal conduct, imputed wrongdoing, dishonesty and lack of integrity into a publicly available commodity used by unscrupulous political operatives and their donor/clients as a weapon," Nunes' legal team wrote. "Twitter is 'responsible' for the development of offensive content on its platform because it in some way specifically encourages development of what is offensive about the content."
Can't go anywhere, Twitter is a private company and can refuse service to whomever they please.

You kids probably should have baked those gay wedding cakes, then you might have a leg to stand on.
If they are acting as editors, then they can be sued for their content.

That's the bottom line.
Not so, unless the mods here are "editors" as well.

I see they have now finally suspended this fake account-

It was labeled Devon Nunes’ (VOTE DAMMIT) Mom
Twitter / Account Suspended
They see me rollin', they hatin' Patrollin' and tryna catch me ridin' dirty Tryna catch me ridin' dirty https:// twitter.com/RyanLizza/stat us

Devin Nunes Explains His $250 Million Lawsuit Against Twitter
HPSCI ranking member Devin Nunes appears on Fox News with Sean Hannity to discuss the lawsuit he filed today against Twitter and some users.

As more time goes by more and more will sue big tech s. media because these are your leftist control freaks who still haven't learned life's lessons when you fk over other ppl assholes KARMA comes for you. Since most leftist Trump hating -ussies hate God, Trump , America that should reflect the hatred these DEMOCRATIC TWATS have for this nation.

but he got another 2 yr gig... so what is he piss off at? it's cause shiff kicked him off the intel chair & can silence him at any time....
Schitt didn't kick him off of anything.

exactly.............. but devon is now taking a backseat to shiff.

neener neener.
As if I care.

It will be amusing to watch your side whine and complain again when the same tactics are used against Democrats.

you mean like declaring a 'state of emergency' ? can't wait until that's declared about guns & mass shootings...

"But Twitter is free." Not really. I'm giving them access to my data, which they are (trying to) monetize. That's 'consideration' (as lawyers say) in the New Economy! And-if they shadowban-they've obtained it on questionable pretenses, no?

i'm sure you sign off on their TOS without even reading it. oh well....

I bet this idiot is someone who claims he is for TORT reform and AGAINST frivolous litigation -- but doesn't mind doing it when its for his own depraved political stunts....

Trump lovers are pathetic...

but he got another 2 yr gig... so what is he piss off at? it's cause shiff kicked him off the intel chair & can silence him at any time....

neener neener.
Weird how one of the co-conspirators of the Russian Collusion hoax is now the chairman of the subcommittee investigating it. *how convenient*
He tried, but he didn't get what he wanted from Mueller, so now he's leaking to the press from a position of authority.

I bet this idiot is someone who claims he is for TORT reform and AGAINST frivolous litigation -- but doesn't mind doing it when its for his own depraved political stunts....

Trump lovers are pathetic...

take a wild guess who co-sponsored the 'frivolous lawsuits act'?

neener neener.
Weird how one of the co-conspirators of the Russian Collusion hoax is now the chairman of the subcommittee investigating it. *how convenient*
He tried, but he didn't get what he wanted from Mueller, so now he's leaking to the press from a position of authority.

fake news.

neener neener.
As if I care.

It will be amusing to watch your side whine and complain again when the same tactics are used against Democrats.

you mean like declaring a 'state of emergency' ? can't wait until that's declared about guns & mass shootings...
Lets see.

A state of emergency when foreign nationals are invading our country, something they have NO RIGHT TO DO, as opposed to a state of emergency for people exercising something THEY HAVE A RIGHT TO DO.

Yeah, you go with that.

And it begins. I predict this will be just the first of a flood of lawsuits against these internet media companies. They brought it on themselves.

California GOP Rep. Devin Nunes filed a major lawsuit seeking $250 million in compensatory damages and $350,000 in punitive damages against Twitter and a handful of its users on Monday, accusing the social media site of "shadow-banning conservatives" including himself to influence the 2018 elections, systematically censoring opposing viewpoints and totally "ignoring" lawful complaints of repeated abusive behavior.

In a complaint filed in Virginia state court on Monday, obtained by Fox News, Nunes said Twitter was guilty of "knowingly hosting and monetizing content that is clearly abusive, hateful and defamatory – providing both a voice and financial incentive to the defamers – thereby facilitating defamation on its platform."

Although federal law ordinarily exempts services like Twitter from defamation liability, Nunes' suit said the platform has taken such an active role in curating and banning content that it should face liability like any other organization that defames.

"Twitter created and developed the content at issue in this case by transforming false accusations of criminal conduct, imputed wrongdoing, dishonesty and lack of integrity into a publicly available commodity used by unscrupulous political operatives and their donor/clients as a weapon," Nunes' legal team wrote. "Twitter is 'responsible' for the development of offensive content on its platform because it in some way specifically encourages development of what is offensive about the content."
This is hilarious! Nunes doesn’t like a Twitter account comparing him to a cow so he sues for $250 million?! He is no longer allowed to use the term snowflake :) what a joke!

Big government statism at its finest.

No wonder you approve

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

You can't sue anybody for not letting you post to their forum. It's no different than USMB who removes posts or kills them.

Twitter is a private company and has plenty of competition, so it's not really a monopoly. They can allow or disallow anybody they desire for any reason they desire. This suit will be a complete waste of money for them.

The National Enquire is a private company as well, but that isn't stopping democrats from tying to go after Pecker for buying stories to not publish.

Apples to oranges...The NE publishes their own stories...twitter allows other people to post using their software.

You can't sue anybody for not letting you post to their forum. It's no different than USMB who removes posts or kills them.

Twitter is a private company and has plenty of competition, so it's not really a monopoly. They can allow or disallow anybody they desire for any reason they desire. This suit will be a complete waste of money for them.

The National Enquire is a private company as well, but that isn't stopping democrats from tying to go after Pecker for buying stories to not publish.

I'm not familiar with the case. But I do know the Enquirer and they are not social media. Nobody has a right to participate on Twitter like nobody has a right to participate in USMB. I've even heard of YouTube (now owned by Google) doing similar things.
I believe it has to do with opportunity. everyone must have equal opportunity. and social media doesn't get to delete someone's post over someone elses because they said so. They are not a journalistic licensed company. and that is the reason for the lawsuit. They must declare who they are and pay the correct license.

I'm not familiar with the case. But I do know the Enquirer and they are not social media. Nobody has a right to participate on Twitter like nobody has a right to participate in USMB. I've even heard of YouTube (now owned by Google) doing similar things.
I believe it has to do with opportunity. everyone must have equal opportunity. and social media doesn't get to delete someone's post over someone elses because they said so. They are not a journalistic licensed company. and that is the reason for the lawsuit. They must declare who they are and pay the correct license.

Why must everyone have equal opportunity?

Forum List

Back