Ny man arrested for corralling kids who ransacked his house

No, you tackle one of the bastards and hold them down using the knee to the back, arm twisted to the back hand on the head move.

THATS apprehending someone phyisically. Saying "go in the closet or ill pop ya with a hammer" is not phyisical in any way, and is fine by me.

The little bastards deserved it.

And you cant threaten a child like that in the middle of the street for no reason. here there was a damn good reason, and the little punks were in the commission of a crime.

Well, it may be fine by you but it is illegal nonetheless. He shouldn't have done it.

No jury will convict him of it, and i have to assume the statue is up to interpretation.

The kids were in the middle of a commission of a crime, i doubt the writers of the statue had that as the intent.

I agree. I doubt I would vote to convict unless there is some back story here we aren't getting. That doesn't mean he isn't going to have to pay out his backside to defend himself. The question that came up was what he should have done. He should not have threatened children. No matter what was happening, it doesn't change the fact that we are talking about young children.

Well, it may be fine by you but it is illegal nonetheless. He shouldn't have done it.

No jury will convict him of it, and i have to assume the statue is up to interpretation.

The kids were in the middle of a commission of a crime, i doubt the writers of the statue had that as the intent.

I agree. I doubt I would vote to convict unless there is some back story here we aren't getting. That doesn't mean he isn't going to have to pay out his backside to defend himself. The question that came up was what he should have done. He should not have threatened children. No matter what was happening, it doesn't change the fact that we are talking about young children.

He should sue for his legal defense in the suit against the kid's parents because thier actions led to his.

So basically kids get a free pass no matter what they do because "they are kids?"

So all I can do is say "hey, stop running!!!" after a bunch of hooligans destroy the inside of a house?

Great lesson we are teaching our children these days.

These yobs will now think they are invulnerable.

I'm sure your sympathy will still be there in 8-10 years when they are boosting your plasma out of your living room.

5-2 the DA quietly drops the charges and takes the booking officer aside for a little talking to.

He should sue for his legal defense in the suit against the kid's parents because thier actions led to his.

So basically kids get a free pass no matter what they do because "they are kids?"

So all I can do is say "hey, stop running!!!" after a bunch of hooligans destroy the inside of a house?

I'm sure your sympathy will still be there in 8-10 years when they are boosting your plasma out of your living room.

Yeah. That is pretty much the case. It's been pretty much the case for the last 75 years or so. Possibly longer. And no one is talking about a free pass, but there are things you just can't do when you are dealing with young children and threatening them with a hammer is one of them.

In Texas he would have been allowed to blow their brains out

Wow... What a clear lack of understanding of the rule of Law.

My son, who is in the Army living in NC, said that in NC if someone walks in your house uninvited, you have the right to shoot him. That's about as clear as it can be......

You'll still be arrested, and have to prove that your life was in danger.

Wow... What a clear lack of understanding of the rule of Law.

My son, who is in the Army living in NC, said that in NC if someone walks in your house uninvited, you have the right to shoot him. That's about as clear as it can be......

You son is in error. He really needs to read the law. It specifically does not apply to children.

5-2 the DA quietly drops the charges and takes the booking officer aside for a little talking to.

I doubt it. More likely it will end with a plea deal.

Of course there will be a plea-deal OFFERED...which will piss off the fella's attorney, who will then counter-sue the city for false arrest and ask for actual and punitive damages, which will in turn, lead to all charges being dropped and the booking officer taken aside for a little talking to.

The kids are arrested and facing felony charges so your outrage is a little silly.

Of course there will be a plea-deal OFFERED...which will piss off the fella's attorney, who will then counter-sue the city for false arrest and ask for actual and punitive damages, which will in turn, lead to all charges being dropped and the booking officer taken aside for a little talking to.

I doubt it. False arrest doesn't apply here since the man did break the law. Plus, you have to demonstrate gross negligence to get past sovereign immunity - which has no chance in this case. The plea deal will only irritate the man's attorney because it will reduce his fee - not because it won't be in the man's best interests. He should not have threatened children with a hammer. That was a mistake.

=PratchettFan;7391739]I doubt it. False arrest doesn't apply here since the man did break the law. Plus, you have to demonstrate gross negligence to get past sovereign immunity - which has no chance in this case. The plea deal will only irritate the man's attorney because it will reduce his fee - not because it won't be in the man's best interests. He should not have threatened children with a hammer. That was a mistake.

Ever heard of the Castle Doctrine? Several states have decided you can defend the interior of your home with any force necessary. He could in fact, have beaten the little savages to death and claimed Castle Doctrine. There is a clear line between "threatening" and assault without battery. His word against theirs what he did and did not do....like raising the hammer in a threatening manner....he can claim all he did was look down at his hammer and look at the kids...everybody knows what that means, but it is NOT menacing or assault without battery. Also, sovereign immunity applies to the state, but NOT a city within the state. A little legal knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Last edited:

I doubt it. False arrest doesn't apply here since the man did break the law. Plus, you have to demonstrate gross negligence to get past sovereign immunity - which has no chance in this case. The plea deal will only irritate the man's attorney because it will reduce his fee - not because it won't be in the man's best interests. He should not have threatened children with a hammer. That was a mistake.

The law you think he broke does not take into account minors committing criminal acts. If a citizen witnesses a criminal act they have the right to make a citizen's arrest, and then wait for the authorities.

By the way you interpet the law, if a police officer witnesses a minor comitting a crime and places his hand on his holster and tells the minor to lay down and spread em, the police officer is also comitting a crime.

=PratchettFan;7391739]I doubt it. False arrest doesn't apply here since the man did break the law. Plus, you have to demonstrate gross negligence to get past sovereign immunity - which has no chance in this case. The plea deal will only irritate the man's attorney because it will reduce his fee - not because it won't be in the man's best interests. He should not have threatened children with a hammer. That was a mistake.
[
Ever heard of the Castle Doctrine? Several states have decided you can defend the interior of your home with any force necessary. He could in fact, have beaten the little savages to death and claimed Castle Doctrine. There is a clear line between "threatening" and assault without battery. His word against theirs what he did and did not do....like raising the hammer in a threatening manner....he can claim all he did was look down at his hammer and look at the kids...everybody knows what that means, but it is NOT menacing or assault without battery. Also, sovereign immunity applies to the state, but NOT a city within the state. A little legal knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Yes. I've heard of the Castle Doctrine. Have you bothered to read any of those laws? He could gave beaten them to death, and he would have been arrested and most certainly convicted of murder. Even in the state with the most liberal Castle Doctrine law, he would have been convicted of murder.

Please don't attempt to impress me with your legal expertise. I am not impressed and you are wrong. "Everybody know"... good grief.

The law you think he broke does not take into account minors committing criminal acts. If a citizen witnesses a criminal act they have the right to make a citizen's arrest, and then wait for the authorities.

By the way you interpet the law, if a police officer witnesses a minor comitting a crime and places his hand on his holster and tells the minor to lay down and spread em, the police officer is also comitting a crime.

Uh huh. Which explains why the man was arrested. It's a pity the law enforcement officers don't have the clear understanding of the laws there that you have.

No. He wouldn't have. Not unless he could convince a jury that he was in fear for his life by four, unarmed 8 - 10 year olds.

(My bold)

But the perps weren't unarmed - they each had a hammer, & the adult charged estimates they caused $50K in damage, plus painted obscenities. I wouldn't ordinarily strike an 8- or 10-year old, but these children were acting like pack animals.

Can the owner sue in civil court for damage to his property? I would pursue where these children got hammers & paint from. Whoever provided those (I assume they didn't come from the house that was vandalized) should be chargeable as @ least an accessory to the various crimes committed, & should be on the hook to pay for repairs & replacing goods damaged beyond repair.

Uh huh. Which explains why the man was arrested. It's a pity the law enforcement officers don't have the clear understanding of the laws there that you have.

So everyone who is arrested is guilty of the crime? Wow, we have all these district attorney offices for no reason whatsoever, what a waste.....

The man was probably arrested because the parents raised holy hell at the man instead of at thier own kids. Mob rule is sooo much fun.

Funny in the past neighbors would spank and discipline and the kids didn't grow up to be sociopathic fucks like what is so common today. Parents can't even discipline

most parents dont want to discipline..the parents insisted on the man being charged....if my son had been involved in something like this....i would have been too busy kicking his ass from my house back to this house...where his ass would be cleaning and painting and calling everyone Sir....i would be begging the owners to work with me so my stupid ass son would not have a record....my son threatened me one damn time with calling social services....i told him to go right ahead it would take them 20 minutes or so to get here and during the 20 minutes i would beat the hell out of him and make sure they took him and put him in foster care .....and i told him i wasnt a good enough parent to get his ass back...suddenly he declined making that phone call...

my son is 30 years old....he is still not beyond my disciplining him when he is wrong...now its more a sharp tongue with a wee bit of motherly shaming....but he knows right from wrong...

being a good parent is hard damn work....you got to know where they are..who they are with and what the hell they are up too....24/7 and they are nothing but lying, mean ass kids....being a sorry parent doesnt take much effort

Funny in the past neighbors would spank and discipline and the kids didn't grow up to be sociopathic fucks like what is so common today. Parents can't even discipline

most parents dont want to discipline..the parents insisted on the man being charged....if my son had been involved in something like this....i would have been too busy kicking his ass from my house back to this house...where his ass would be cleaning and painting and calling everyone Sir....i would be begging the owners to work with me so my stupid ass son would not have a record....my son threatened me one damn time with calling social services....i told him to go right ahead it would take them 20 minutes or so to get here and during the 20 minutes i would beat the hell out of him and make sure they took him and put him in foster care .....and i told him i wasnt a good enough parent to get his ass back...suddenly he declined making that phone call...

my son is 30 years old....he is still not beyond my disciplining him when he is wrong...now its more a sharp tongue with a wee bit of motherly shaming....but he knows right from wrong...

being a good parent is hard damn work....you got to know where they are..who they are with and what the hell they are up too....24/7 and they are nothing but lying, mean ass kids....being a sorry parent doesnt take much effort

Dense people would mistake the ass-kicking for abuse. What the real abuse is would be to let kids grow up as undisiplined animals.

Forum List

Back