Obama celebrates Ramadan: 'Islam has contributed to the character' of US

Secular and ordinary Muslims may have different philosophies, but fundamental Islam is creating immense problems for the whole world. Surely you must be knowledgeable enough to realize this fact.

Fundamentalism as a term isn't a very good term to denote modern violent Islamist groups. it's pretty theologically misleading.

Secular and ordinary Muslims may have different philosophies, but fundamental Islam is creating immense problems for the whole world. Surely you must be knowledgeable enough to realize this fact.

Fundamentalism as a term isn't a very good term to denote modern violent Islamist groups. it's pretty theologically misleading.

Can't see your point.

Are you saying that theologically misleading Islam is creating the violence?

Your viewpoint is in the minority of one.

A heartfelt "Thank You" to our beloved Pres. Obama from the American Muslim community. .. :thup:

As it should be. I wish more Christians were Christians and knew how close we are. My heart breaks some times that they don't know.

Can't see your point.

Islam isn't. oh boy oh boy....

It's the interpretations. Take a look at how for so many years we only knew catholocism and the bible because so many didn't know latin.

Now I learned latin. From grades 9 to 12. No keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeding and consequently I can tell you there is a world of difference between our versions of the bible and the true translations.

Can't see your point.

No I'm saying your terminology and thus the point you are trying to make is misleading, and rather incorrect which can lead to the creation of poor policy.

Islam isn't. oh boy oh boy....

It's the interpretations. Take a look at how for so many years we only knew catholocism and the bible because so many didn't know latin.

Now I learned latin. From grades 9 to 12. No keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeding and consequently I can tell you there is a world of difference between our versions of the bible and the true translations.

The Vulgate was pretty bad in terms of translation. Better to spring for the Greek and Hebrew.

Can't see your point.

To expand my other post, "Fundamentalism" was originally a protestant movement and we generally associate the modern term with orthodoxy or early expressions of the religion in question. Groups like Al Qaeda though aren't really based on early expressions of Islam or based on formal Islamic Orthodoxy. It's one reason why terrorist groups tend to have an ideological head like Osama bin Laden was. They need that person for theological direction. It largely stems from the 50's and 60's and a man named Sayyid Qutb. Qutbism is generally a foundation thought on which a number of modern international jihadist groups based themselves and Qutb was a major player because of his utilization of Ijtihad, (which had been closed in formal institutions for centuries), to create a new ideological path for Muslims. International jihadi terrorism isn't a throwback to some former time, it is a relatively new Islamic ideology, and while strict, it isn't, well: fundamentalist.

Can't see your point.

To expand my other post, "Fundamentalism" was originally a protestant movement and we generally associate the modern term with orthodoxy or early expressions of the religion in question. Groups like Al Qaeda though aren't really based on early expressions of Islam or based on formal Islamic Orthodoxy. It's one reason why terrorist groups tend to have an ideological head like Osama bin Laden was. They need that person for theological direction. It largely stems from the 50's and 60's and a man named Sayyid Qutb. Qutbism is generally a foundation thought on which a number of modern international jihadist groups based themselves and Qutb was a major player because of his utilization of Ijtihad, (which had been closed in formal institutions for centuries), to create a new ideological path for Muslims. International jihadi terrorism isn't a throwback to some former time, it is a relatively new Islamic ideology, and while strict, it isn't, well: fundamentalist.

I am not discussing a history of Islam or it's golden ages of which I am fully aware.I am talking about the current situation which probably originated in the 20th Century.
Whenever or wherever it originated,it is very real and is the one to be considered.

Whether is political correctness or sheer stupidity from Obama and his administration we'll never know....but what we do know is that this is not the time to stand with Muslims but it is a time to call for Muslims to leave behind centuries of violence and join the civilized 21st century.

Never happen.

President Obama late Thursday celebrated Ramadan with a traditional dinner in the State Dining Room, saying that throughout the nation's history, “Islam has contributed to the character of our country.”

I think Obama is right and let's start naming things Islam has contributed to the US...
1. Homeland Security
2. Naked Body Airport Scanners
3. Removing your belts, jackets and shoes before getting on a plane
4. Having your wife or girlfriend's purse searched before going into a stadium.
the list goes on......

Obama celebrates Ramadan: 'Islam has contributed to the character' of US - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room

Of course...who else will run our 7/11s?

Hindu's from India do a good job running 7/11's. Lord knows we can't ask the people on welfare to work for a living.

Last edited:
I am not discussing a history of Islam or it's golden ages of which I am fully aware.I am talking about the current situation which probably originated in the 20th Century.
Whenever or wherever it originated,it is very real and is the one to be considered.

Of course it's very real, but it isn't technically fundamentalism. There is nothing core to the larger religion of Islam that mandates it be practiced in such a manner. It isn't based on scriptural othordoxy or historical patterns. It is a new expression of Islam and needs to be treated as such when we go to fight it.

Last edited:

Of course it's very real, but it isn't technically fundamentalism. There is nothing core to the larger religion of Islam that mandates it be practiced in such a manner. It isn't based on scriptural othordoxy or historical patterns. It is a new expression of Islam and needs to be treated as such when we go to fight it.

What you are saying, whether or not is correct, is by and large irrelevant.

If you like we can use the terminology Radical Islam but the danger remains the same whichever term we use.

Lets not split hairs here.

[

If you like we can use the terminology Radical Islam but the danger remains the same whichever term we use.

It's not irrelevant at all. In fact, it is one of the most relevant things imaginable when it comes to combating terrorism and to the formation of good foreign policy. How we talk about Islam defines how we think about it. If you don't know the specifics of what you are talking about then how can you hope to effectively address the issue? We've gotten ourselves into a lot of trouble previously because we didn't bother to make this distinction and the result was a stronger and more expansive Al Qaeda.

President Obama late Thursday celebrated Ramadan with a traditional dinner in the State Dining Room, saying that throughout the nation's history, “Islam has contributed to the character of our country.”

I think Obama is right and let's start naming things Islam has contributed to the US...
1. Homeland Security
2. Naked Body Airport Scanners
3. Removing your belts, jackets and shoes before getting on a plane
4. Having your wife or girlfriend's purse searched before going into a stadium.
the list goes on......

Obama celebrates Ramadan: 'Islam has contributed to the character' of US - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room

Saladin was the "author" of the code of chivalry..which basically didn't exist before him.

Saladin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We've seen how much good ass-kissing and bowing to his muslim brothers has done us...since this regime took over we've lost Iraq, Afghanistan, Egypt, Yemen, Syria, and Libya while the Iranians continue their quest to build an A-bomb......"YES WE CAN!"

[

It's not irrelevant at all. In fact, it is one of the most relevant things imaginable when it comes to combating terrorism and to the formation of good foreign policy. How we talk about Islam defines how we think about it. If you don't know the specifics of what you are talking about then how can you hope to effectively address the issue? We've gotten ourselves into a lot of trouble previously because we didn't bother to make this distinction and the result was a stronger and more expansive Al Qaeda.

What a CROCK....if we stand up to these perverted criminals we create more of them? Good....our Troopers need the target practice.

We've seen how much good ass-kissing and bowing to his muslim brothers has done us...since this regime took over we've lost Iraq, Afghanistan, Egypt, Yemen, Syria, and Libya while the Iranians continue their quest to build an A-bomb......"YES WE CAN!"

How have the lost Libya? The Libyan government is fairly pro-US right now and we have good exchanges with them through cooperative programs.

Also, how could you possibly blame Syria, Egypt, and Yemen on Obama? :confused:

You must think he has godly status if you think he was behind the entire Arab Spring. He's not a deity there bud, stop worshiping him.

[

Once again you are splitting hairs.

As I have already mentioned in my previous posts, the terms Islamist, fundamentalist and radical are now in common usage as denoting a certain type of extreme behavior leading to terrorism.

In my opinion your ongoing argument is pointless., and it's getting very tired.

Forum List

Back