Obama proclaims Irene a "historic" hurricane

BSNBC is so desperate to provide devastating coverage of a disaster that they are playing a show about Katrina and the oil accident.

Everything under sealevel was destroyed. Solution to prepare for it again? Rebuild in the exact same damn spot. Idiots never learn

I'm not going to read this entire thread, but from what I can pick up from Google, President Obama said that it could be a historic hurricane and quite frankly, I think he was right. A storm that runs right up the Eastern Seaboard could have been a major disaster and if things had not gone as they did, this could have been a disaster on the level of Katrina or Andrew.

BBC News - Hurricane Irene: Obama warns of 'historic' storm

On Friday he said in a statement to reporters: "I cannot stress this highly enough: if you are in the projected path of this hurricane, you have to take precautions now.

"Don't wait, don't delay. We all hope for the best, but we have to be prepared for the worst. All of us have to take this storm seriously."

He added: "All indications point to this being a historic hurricane."

Irene was nothing to play with. It was a threat. I for one am glad the President took it seriously. So far 19 deaths have been attributed to Irene. It could have been much worse.

In Irene's wake: Relief despite damage and deaths - latimes.com

Immie

Shutting things down saved a lot of equipment, but they are by no means out of the woods.

When Mayor Michael Bloomberg told New Yorkers Sunday “you're going to have a tough commute in the morning," he wasn’t kidding.

Tropical storm Irene may have been downgraded from hurricane status, and the mandatory evacuation order was lifted by mid-afternoon Sunday. But the prospect for a quick return to normal for the region’s public transit system relied upon by hundreds of thousands of commuters remains less than slim.

“Transit workers were still waiting for winds to die down before they could inspect the entire system,” the New York Times reported. “But an initial survey revealed flooded subway tracks, powerless commuter rail networks and fallen trees and branches that had rendered some rail routes impassable.”

“The New Haven line of the Metro-North Railroad had no power because of downed wires along its route,” the newspaper reported on its website. “Parts of the Metro-North track along the surging Hudson River were flooded. Subway lines in parts of Brooklyn were also inundated. Bus service remained suspended.”

Irene update: Why New Yorkers face a rough commute Monday - CSMonitor.com

Everything under sealevel was destroyed

That's not even true. Whether or not your property was destroyed had a lot to do with its proximity to the levee breaches.

You don't really understand what happened.
Rebuild in the exact same damn spot.

Most of the hardest hit lower lying areas are still largely unoccupied. You're an ignorant fuck.

Last edited:

That's not even true. Whether or not your property was destroyed had a lot to do with its proximity to the levee breaches.

Most of the hardest hit lower lying areas are still largely unoccupied. You're an ignorant fuck.

That's why the levee system is there you idiot. It's nearly all below sea level. And yes some areas were abandoned because some people unlike you actually have a clue. Nearly all of New Orleans is below sea level twit.

That became clear the minute he posted his OP.

That's why the levee system is there you idiot. It's nearly all below sea level.

And yes some areas were abandoned because some people unlike you actually have a clue. Nearly all of New Orleans is below sea level twit.

Its 55% below sea level. That's not "nearly all" dufus,. The level above the sea isn't even what matters, its your elevation relative to the storm surge that matters. This is why Miami is at greater risk for devastation if a major hurricane hits. Its above sea level but right next to the fucking ocean. The coastline of the Dead Sea, hundreds of feet below sea level, on the other hand, far better protected from hurricanes.

But I know you only want the dumbed down version of reality that the media hands you.

BTW, Katrina didn't flood where I live dickhead.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back