Obamacare Could Drive Down Your Car Insurance Costs

Obamacare Could Drive Down Your Car Insurance Costs

Brianna Ehley The Fiscal Times
April 9, 2014

<snip>

What does Obamacare have to do with your car insurance? Auto insurers spends billions of dollars on health care costs related to accidents each year. In 2007, for example, those insurers doled out $35 billion on medical costs tied to accidents. That sum represented about 2 percent of all U.S. health care costs for the year, according to Rand.

However, now that the president’s health care law has taken effect and more people have health insurance — 9.3 million newly insured people, according to a separate Rand survey — some of those costs may be covered by health insurers instead. “As that happens, the cost of providing automobile insurance, workers compensation and homeowners insurance may decline,” Rand says.

<snip>

I cannot understand how that would work. Currently the health insurance companies file claims against the auto insurance companies for payments made to healthcare providers as a result of a car accident, if they happen to make any payments at all.

When I got into a car accident the hospital tried to bill my health insurance company because I had a card in my wallet and the company refused to pay. I had to get my attorney involved to get the auto insurance company to pay.

The health care cost will shift from one insurance to another insurance and one will cut the price, maybe, and the other will surely raise its price. Another loss, but a nice try.

Sent from my iPad using an Android.

As pointed out in the article linked in the OP, a type of scenario that could play out (in multiple ways) would be:
"However, now that the president’s health care law has taken effect and more people have health insurance — 9.3 million newly insured people, according to a separate Rand survey — some of those costs may be covered by health insurers instead. “As that happens, the cost of providing automobile insurance, workers compensation and homeowners insurance may decline,” Rand says.

The report provides this example of how that might play out:
An individual without health insurance suffering from lower back pain is in an auto accident. He had not received formal medical treatment for the problem prior to the accident. He then undergoes testing and treatment for the problem and submits the medical costs to the auto insurer, claiming that the problem resulted from the accident. Were he insured, he might have seen medical providers previously and addressed the problem through surgery or therapy, eliminating the need to use liability insurance to cover care."

And-----and I would add that many of the claims made not only against auto insurance but also workman's comp, homeowners insurance, business liability, etc. will be dealt with for less cost via Obamacare's built in preventive care and-----and lowers the incentive behind committing fraud.

Preventative care doesn't lower costs, certainly not costs resulting from an auto accident.

The health care cost will shift from one insurance to another insurance and one will cut the price, maybe, and the other will surely raise its price. Another loss, but a nice try.

Sent from my iPad using an Android.

As pointed out in the article linked in the OP, a type of scenario that could play out (in multiple ways) would be:
"However, now that the president’s health care law has taken effect and more people have health insurance — 9.3 million newly insured people, according to a separate Rand survey — some of those costs may be covered by health insurers instead. “As that happens, the cost of providing automobile insurance, workers compensation and homeowners insurance may decline,” Rand says.

The report provides this example of how that might play out:
An individual without health insurance suffering from lower back pain is in an auto accident. He had not received formal medical treatment for the problem prior to the accident. He then undergoes testing and treatment for the problem and submits the medical costs to the auto insurer, claiming that the problem resulted from the accident. Were he insured, he might have seen medical providers previously and addressed the problem through surgery or therapy, eliminating the need to use liability insurance to cover care."

And-----and I would add that many of the claims made not only against auto insurance but also workman's comp, homeowners insurance, business liability, etc. will be dealt with for less cost via Obamacare's built in preventive care and-----and lowers the incentive behind committing fraud.

All he did was shift the cost from one insurance to another insurance, the cost of the treatment is still there, it doesn't go away. Now, I doubt you car insurance will go down on this shift of cost, however, the pool for health will go up because it is based on a tight profit margin.

ok

7 million people lost their health ins
most of the companies that supported it got waivers
health ins premiums went up

but the fucking morons are going to claim it may lower my car insurance.

seriously, just how many drugs are leftist on to actually keep supporting this nightmare?

do you like fucking people over?
Do you think we are as dumb as you clearly must be?

jezuz krist, wake the fuck up and take a honest look for once

pretty soon it's going to pay the mortgage on our home too:lol:

the propaganda for Federal piece of crap is coming at fast and furious

ok

seriously, just how many drugs are leftist on to actually keep supporting this nightmare?

It appears they are still trying to "sell" Obamacare on those who are simply not buying into it, after all the fallen promises that President Obama and the Democrats are trying to recover from. The media makes the claim that the new health care law has made its minimum low expectation projections of 7 million. However if it was deemed so very successful the administration wouldn't be holding anything back to throw it in the Republicans faces, boasting how many of those 7 million are young people that are actually contributing into those costs and not those simply looking for free insurance. Car insurance is just another angle to get Americans sold into contributing into this plan, and further proof that just because you have a large turn out from those registering ... doesn't mean the program is being funded by those seeking a government option to health care.

Last edited:
ok

When are you going to get it?

These are not 'good people with bad ideas'. These are not good, loyal, patriotic Americans who just have a different POV than us. These are not people who love us as much as they love their fellow dimocraps. They HATE us. And they HATE America.

It's why they always speak of 'change' and of 'move forward' and reshaping us.

If you have a girlfriend, a wife or a fiancee that is constantly trying to change you, that wants you to change the way you live, change how you look, change what you wear, change how you eat, change what you enjoy.... If that scrunt wants to change everything about you..... Everything.

How long you gonna put up with that shit? Me? About five seconds. Not even.

When you 'love' something or someone, you don't spend all your time trying to change it.

It's time we returned the favor.

But let me tell you what will happen.

We'll get some pussy, some wimp, some limp-dick that says he wants to bring us together, that we should forgive past sins, that we are all one people, that we need to join hands and sing kumbaya, that...

And the scum of the earth, motherfucking dimocraps, will be sitting back laughing their asses off at us.

We need another Reagan. We actually need somebody tougher than Reagan. We had two shrubs since him that let dimocrap scum get completely out of control and we've had three defeated 'nice guys' (Dole, McRINO and Mittens) that have been about as inspiring as yesterday's breakfast.

We need to CRUSH the scum of the fucking dimocraps.

Can a Republican say it and get elected? Not really. But he can let us know, subtly, that is what he intends.

Or, he can just be tough guy that we know will do it.

People, it's time. It's time to crush these scum.

Without mercy.

how hard up are liberals for good news about obama that anyone would cling to such non-sense?

It didn't lower health ins prems, as promised, so you are going to pretend it will lower car ins.

fuck sakes

Exactly... premiums are skyrocketing, copays are up, out-of-pockets are quadrupling.. but oh yes, your car insurance will go down.

How stupid are these people?

It's not how stupid THEY are.

It's how stupid they think YOU are, that they believe you might actually fall for this nonsense.

And they're damn sure right about their constituents! (that's voters for you Libtards)

ok

When are you going to get it?

These are not 'good people with bad ideas'. These are not good, loyal, patriotic Americans who just have a different POV than us. These are not people who love us as much as they love their fellow dimocraps. They HATE us. And they HATE America.

It's why they always speak of 'change' and of 'move forward' and reshaping us.

If you have a girlfriend, a wife or a fiancee that is constantly trying to change you, that wants you to change the way you live, change how you look, change what you wear, change how you eat, change what you enjoy.... If that scrunt wants to change everything about you..... Everything.

How long you gonna put up with that shit? Me? About five seconds. Not even.

When you 'love' something or someone, you don't spend all your time trying to change it.

It's time we returned the favor.

But let me tell you what will happen.

We'll get some pussy, some wimp, some limp-dick that says he wants to bring us together, that we should forgive past sins, that we are all one people, that we need to join hands and sing kumbaya, that...

And the scum of the earth, motherfucking dimocraps, will be sitting back laughing their asses off at us.

We need another Reagan. We actually need somebody tougher than Reagan. We had two shrubs since him that let dimocrap scum get completely out of control and we've had three defeated 'nice guys' (Dole, McRINO and Mittens) that have been about as inspiring as yesterday's breakfast.

We need to CRUSH the scum of the fucking dimocraps.

Can a Republican say it and get elected? Not really. But he can let us know, subtly, that is what he intends.

Or, he can just be tough guy that we know will do it.

People, it's time. It's time to crush these scum.

Without mercy.

George Patton is dead.

Forum List

Back