Obamaphone racket

Amelia

Rookie
Feb 14, 2011
Packerland!
Last year when Obamaphone-mania was all over the interwebs, I went to a wireless company website and filled out an application to see how easy it would be to get one. Actually what prompted me look for the link was an uber-liberal friend who told me it wasn't really free and conservatives were just making stuff up. So I checked it out. And yep, sure enough. At least this is what the website said: free phone with 250 free minutes per month and no activation fees. So I started typing in my info.

Then it said I needed proof of my identity and some sort of evidence that I qualified for the free service, so that's where the application ended. I never submitted any extra info. So no phone, right? The system works, eh? There are actually standards. They're not handing them out like candy.

Well, every month or so since then I've gotten a recorded call telling me I need to submit that extra information so they can send me my phone. I just hung up (and laughed at the poor quality of the phone connection they use to call me with -- not very good advertisement for a wireless company trying to get people to sign on).

But now they've given up on trying to get me to respond and they just sent me the phone with instructions that I call a certain number to activate the free service. No proof of who I am. No proof of need.

Turns out it's an old scratched up phone which I'm guessing someone else traded in for an upgrade.

I didn't call to activate. But last night I got an email from them telling me I'm running out of minutes and should call to add more at their super low prepaid rates. I haven't made a single call or a single commitment so I can guffaw at them, but how many people do they trick with that "you're running out of minutes" warning?

What a scam. They start with a stack of old rejected phones, tell the gov't they've signed up X people (whether or not those people are qualified or even want the phone), rake in the gov't dough, and count on the people to whom they're sending the phones to be gullible enough to sign up for more minutes even if they haven't come close to maxing out their free allotment. And as shady as this company has been so far, how can their clients even have confidence that they've been signed up for the promised number of free minutes and aren't going to end up with one more bill collector calling them even though they conscientiously made minimal use of the phone?

Last edited:
  • Banned
While I was typing this music started up in the livingroom. Someone was calling my unactivated Obamaphone. Très bizarre.

My brother signed up for 3 of the Obamaphones and he brags about it. He didn't like the 250 minute limit. Prior to getting the new phones, he had no trouble paying for a cell phone for years. He didn't really need a free one, let alone 3 free ones. I thought it was illegal to get more than one and I have no idea how to report it or whether they'd do anything.

As far as I know, he hasn't had any trouble getting the free minutes and hasn't been asked to pay a dime.

I am wondering if you got the raw deal because you failed to fill out the info completely, so they figure either you aren't qualified and just looking for a freebie or that you are an illegal and won't know the difference.

The program is out of hand. When something is offered for free, people will figure out how to cash in on it whether they need it or not.

• Banned
That article is incorrect.

"Applicants have to apply and prove that they are either receiving certain types of government benefits, such as Medicaid, or have household incomes at or below 135 percent of the poverty line."

The lie contained in that sentence is the point of my thread.

And it is disingenous semantics to say the program is not funded by taxpayer money.

The phone providers are running a scam.

Last edited:
  • Banned
Last edited:
A cellphone company whose top executive has close ties to President Obama lobbied for and won a piece of a major new government push to provide Internet service to low- income job-seekers, even though critics say the company’s smartphones are poorly suited to the task of helping those in the program find work. The program’s supporters tout it as a way for the unemployed to learn technical skills, to prepare resumes and to search for jobs, but one of the 14 pilot contracts that the FCC awarded went to Miami-based TracFone Wireless Inc. TracFone CEO F.J. Pollak has been a frequent White House visitor and his wife Abigail has raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for both Mr. Obama’s 2008 and 2012 campaigns. And although TracFone had originally lobbied for the program, critics say its contract would not provide recipients with skills-boosting computers and services, but would supply high-end Android phones , ready to play games and browse Facebook but doing little in the way of getting a job.

Obama crony wins contract to give phones to jobless - Washington Times

In 2012, the program’s costs had risen to $2.189 billion, up from $822 million before wireless carriers were included. As of June, there were 13.8 million active Lifeline subscriptions...

But as with any federal program with too much funding, too little oversight, and perverse financial incentives, Lifeline has become infamous for rampant fraud and abuse. There have been news reports about recipients flaunting dozens of subsidized phones. And in February, the Wall Street Journal reported on an FCC audit of the top five Lifeline providers, which found that “41% of their more than six million subscribers either couldn’t demonstrate their eligibility or didn’t respond to requests for certification.”
from the article

In 2012, the program’s costs had risen to $2.189 billion, up from $822 million before wireless carriers were included. As of June, there were 13.8 million active Lifeline subscriptions...

But as with any federal program with too much funding, too little oversight, and perverse financial incentives, Lifeline has become infamous for rampant fraud and abuse. There have been news reports about recipients flaunting dozens of subsidized phones. And in February, the Wall Street Journal reported on an FCC audit of the top five Lifeline providers, which found that “41% of their more than six million subscribers either couldn’t demonstrate their eligibility or didn’t respond to requests for certification.”
from the article

I heard also that many are getting these phones and selling them for cash.....

My brother signed up for 3 of the Obamaphones and he brags about it. He didn't like the 250 minute limit. Prior to getting the new phones, he had no trouble paying for a cell phone for years. He didn't really need a free one, let alone 3 free ones. I thought it was illegal to get more than one and I have no idea how to report it or whether they'd do anything.

As far as I know, he hasn't had any trouble getting the free minutes and hasn't been asked to pay a dime.

I am wondering if you got the raw deal because you failed to fill out the info completely, so they figure either you aren't qualified and just looking for a freebie or that you are an illegal and won't know the difference.

The program is out of hand. When something is offered for free, people will figure out how to cash in on it whether they need it or not.

Gosh....I'm thinking of getting another phone so I can get the $50 a month pay as you go plan through Verizon, so I can get internet and everything that I don't have now that I pay $85 a month for! Anyway, I have to get my husband another plan then too, and he only talks maybe 2 minutes a day, when he calls me at lunch. :) Maybe I should get him one of these!! Lol!

Sorry people. I do not believe the National Review OP Ed. I will stop short of calling Amelia a liar.....but I am pretty sure that the entire truth has yet to be divulged.

The program was begun many years ago. It is not truthful to call anything an "Obamaphone"

You want to be considered honest.....you need to try harder.

Last edited:

from the article

I KNOW of many who are doing the same thing with their food stamps. And their medications....

from the article

I KNOW of many who are doing the same thing with their food stamps. And their medications....

Sure you do. How many?

Why haven't you notified the authorities of these scoundrels? Don't want to be a ninny?

Why is it that every "conservative" at USMB personally knows people who game our welfare/SNAP/safety net programs? It is very odd.

Forum List

Back