Obamaphone racket

I bet you don't know you just posted three of the tells from people who have Obamaphones.

Ya know it ticks me off that the losers get Obama Android smart phones and I dont even have one and I am paying for them to have one.

If you can't afford a smartphone, you ain't paying for shit.

Everyone that has a phone line that is not on the BS lifeline pays, and you get to pay on every line you have if you have more than one.

In 2012, the program’s costs had risen to $2.189 billion, up from $822 million before wireless carriers were included. As of June, there were 13.8 million active Lifeline subscriptions...

But as with any federal program with too much funding, too little oversight, and perverse financial incentives, Lifeline has become infamous for rampant fraud and abuse. There have been news reports about recipients flaunting dozens of subsidized phones. And in February, the Wall Street Journal reported on an FCC audit of the top five Lifeline providers, which found that “41% of their more than six million subscribers either couldn’t demonstrate their eligibility or didn’t respond to requests for certification.”
from the article

I heard also that many are getting these phones and selling them for cash.....

wouldn't surprise me in the least. It really burns me up any more, our dollars are being wasted on so much crap like this, rather than those that actually need help getting the help they need.

You know, we have personally added to our electric utility every month to help those that need it. I wonder if theirs is as poorly run as this? Makes you think twice as to whether to even continue doing so.

Last edited:
Ok, I just checked their site, and here is what I found out. For 2013 they have made 1800 payments to the tune of $606,408. That comes to over $336 per payment on average, which is much more than we pay per month, even through July and we have over 3000 sq ft. under air. Something seems wrong with this picture. SAd I can't feel confident in it anymore.

Typical uneducated dumbocrate...

July 2, 2017
Report: Massive fraud in Obamaphone program
By Rick Moran

The scandal-plagued program initiated by President Obama that provides phones and internet service to poor people is beset with massive waste, fraud, and abuse, according to a three year study by the General Accountability Office.

The government watchdog conducted the review at the behest of Democratic Senator Claire McCaskill. They found that 36% of participants were probably not eligible to recieve the benefit.

Breitbart:

GAO investigators sampled the program’s population and found that it had been paying for nearly 6,400 phones for people whom the government has listed as deceased; another 5,500 people were enrolled for two phones, and another group of people couldn’t prove they were eligible to receive their free phone.

“A complete lack of oversight is causing this program to fail the American taxpayer — everything that could go wrong is going wrong,” McCaskill said in a statement. “We’re currently letting phone companies cash a government check every month with little more than the honor system to hold them accountable, and that simply can’t continue.”

Read more: Blog: Report: Massive fraud in Obamaphone program

Forum List

Back