Obama's Labor Secretary: Illegal Aliens Have a ‘Right to a Legal Wage’

i'm with Jarhead on this one....this is brilliant! enforcing the minimum wage laws, will give many if not all employers hiring illegals no incentive to hire them. We also need to increase the fine amounts to give it a double whammy as Editec mentioned earlier.

Again... using the cycles of government to ensure the pay.. instead of using the cycles of government to prosecute the employers breaking the hiring laws (and harboring the illegals) and to prosecute and deport the illegal aliens.... fucking brilliant :rolleyes:

What will give employers disincentive to hire illegals is a comprehensive immigration policy.

My blueprint:

1. Step up fines/penalities for knowingly illegally hiring an illegal and make this painful enough to be a real disincentive.

2. Put a comprehensive guest workers program into place that can be utilized by employers who first make a good faith effort to hire Americans and, if there are no takers, can import a work crew for that job only. Guest workers will be screened and furnished with ID with a fairly short term expiration date at which time they are required to renew it if the job is still in progress or return home. Overstaying the invite is grounds for immediate deporation and denial of permission to return to work.

3. Employers do not necessarily have to provide it but will be responsible to be sure their guest workers have adequate food, housing, healthcare and, when the job is ended, transportation back to their home country.

4. Employers will pay guest workers the prevailing wage for their area less reasonable deductions for food, housing, and healthcare if that is provided by the employer.

5. The Guest workers cannot bring non-working members of their family with them under this program.

6. Positive photo ID will be required in order to receive a guest worker permit or use whatever reasonable means is necessary for authorities to be able to identify and recognize the worker at any time.

7. Institute a 30 to 90 day period of 'no fault/no questions asked' during which illegals can make necessary arrangements and return home to apply to return under the guest worker program. (Local private charities will probably step up to help pay travel expenses to those who must have it, but most travel back and forth to their home countries on a regular basis anyway and this really would not be a hardship. It is a way to make the illegal legal without providing amnesty, however.)

8. Guest workers who come into the country legally can get on the list for consideration of green card status or citizenship if they want that. Those who do not comply with the law will, when they are caught, be photographed, DNA samples taken, and as much I.D. collected on them as possible and then they will deported and subject to arrest if they return illegally. Such people will be on a list of 'undesirables' and will not be eligible for green card status or citizenship.

9. The Constitution will be amended so that children born to U.S. citizens will receive automatic U.S. citizenship but not those children born to non citizen moms who happen to legally or illegally be in this country when they give birth.

10. Employers are responsible to report to ICE or whomever that a job has ended and the workers will be given a reasonable period (say 3 days) to return home. Employers will be responsible to be sure the workers have transportation to get home.

Last edited:
What will give employers disincentive to hire illegals is a comprehensive immigration policy.

My blueprint:

1. Step up fines/penalities for knowingly illegally hiring an illegal and make this painful enough to be a real disincentive.

2. Put a comprehensive guest workers program into place that can be utilized by employers who first make a good faith effort to hire Americans and, if there are no takers, can import a work crew for that job only. Guest workers will be screened and furnished with ID with a fairly short term expiration date at which time they are required to renew it if the job is still in progress or return home. Overstaying the invite is grounds for immediate deporation and denial of permission to return to work.

3. Employers do not necessarily have to provide it but will be responsible to be sure their guest workers have adequate food, housing, healthcare and, when the job is ended, transportation back to their home country.

4. Employers will pay guest workers the prevailing wage for their area less reasonable deductions for food, housing, and healthcare if that is provided by the employer.

5. The Guest workers cannot bring non-working members of their family with them under this program.

6. Positive photo ID will be required in order to receive a guest worker permit or use whatever reasonable means is necessary for authorities to be able to identify and recognize the worker at any time.

7. Institute a 30 to 90 day period of 'no fault/no questions asked' during which illegals can make necessary arrangements and return home to apply to return under the guest worker program. (Local private charities will probably step up to help pay travel expenses to those who must have it, but most travel back and forth to their home countries on a regular basis anyway and this really would not be a hardship. It is a way to make the illegal legal without providing amnesty, however.)

8. Guest workers who come into the country legally can get on the list for consideration of green card status or citizenship if they want that. Those who do not comply with the law will, when they are caught, be photographed, DNA samples taken, and as much I.D. collected on them as possible and then they will deported and subject to arrest if they return illegally. Such people will be on a list of 'undesirables' and will not be eligible for green card status or citizenship.

9. The Constitution will be amended so that children born to U.S. citizens will receive automatic U.S. citizenship but not those children born to non citizen moms who happen to legally or illegally be in this country when they give birth.

I liked it until number nine. That I disagree with. Defying the odds to have your children born a US CITIZEN. I dont want it left to the political whim.

My blueprint:

10. Employers are responsible to report to ICE or whomever that a job has ended and the workers will be given a reasonable period (say 3 days) to return home. Employers will be responsible to be sure the workers have transportation to get home.
excellent! Agree with everything except...expecting mom's here LEGALLY, their children should be allowed to be citizens at birth. If here illegally no, then i agree with you.

No, it's against the law for illegal aliens to work in the U.S.A. The Obama administration is openly disobeying our countries laws!

The PJ Tatler » Obama’s Labor Secretary: Illegal Aliens Have a ‘Right to a Legal Wage’

I agree that the Obama Administration would be breaking the law allowing illegal immigrants to work and live here if they did not have legal work visas, but that is no what Obama is doing. He is making it easier for illegals to become legal under the law. I do not agree with that policy, but there is nothing illegal about it.

I suppose the citizenship for children could be negotiable, but I still think only children of citizens should be eligible for automatic citizenship. Otherwise there is too much incentive to figure out some way, legally or illegally, to be here when your kid is born with legal right to be here permanently, and we compassionate Americans then don't have the heart to send Mom home when her Visa expires or even if she is here illegally. And the way it's happening now, the kid can bring in all the other siblings, grandparents, cousins, uncles and aunts as well.

Each new lawful immigrant that becomes assimilated into our society adds an additional flavor to the 'soup' but does not jeopardize language, borders, culture that makes America wonderful and unique.

We simply have to utilize common sense in order to have orderly immigration in a manner that doesn't overload social services and that allows the newcomers to have gainful employment, a place to live, and ability assimilate seamlessly into the existing culture. Any other policy I think is counter productive, destructive, and puts us in danger of losing our unique culture as well as quality of life.

No, it's against the law for illegal aliens to work in the U.S.A. The Obama administration is openly disobeying our countries laws!

The PJ Tatler » Obama’s Labor Secretary: Illegal Aliens Have a ‘Right to a Legal Wage’

So you wouldn't want to prosecute US employers for violating other labor laws, as well as for the violation of hiring illegals?

Employers are the problem.

Carby... both the ones doing the employing and the illegals themselves are problems... it is not a one way street

And how does letting employers violate labor laws because the person they hired turns out to be illegal help?

Income tax evasion is a crime. An employer is not going to pay "below minimum wage" and report it to the IRS. They can only get away with that if they pay under the table.

An American who does not pay taxes or file a tax return can go to jail. The illegal alien who reports his boss's offense is admitting his own guilt. Quite a conundrum. Unless of course this law gives UNEQUAL TREATMENT of the law in favor of the illegal...

Word on the street is that the illegals working in construction here in NJ make around 10 bucks an hour; 15 if they speak English. Cash under the table with no deductions. I imagine many of the unemployed in NJ wouldn't mind that kind of "exploitation".

So 'legals' in NJ won't take under the table work in construction, or anywhere for that matter?

You are comically naive.

So you wouldn't want to prosecute US employers for violating other labor laws, as well as for the violation of hiring illegals?

Employers are the problem.

Carby... both the ones doing the employing and the illegals themselves are problems... it is not a one way street

And how does letting employers violate labor laws because the person they hired turns out to be illegal help?

Carby.... labor laws are and should be about the legal citizens and visitors to the US... the crime is harboring or hiring these illegal criminal aliens and the illegal criminal aliens being here to begin with

So you go hard after the businesses for hiring them... and not spending government resources worrying about how much they are getting paid and still leaving the illegal criminal aliens here....

Jeez.. you are fucking dense.. even for a liberal

Income tax evasion is a crime. An employer is not going to pay "below minimum wage" and report it to the IRS. They can only get away with that if they pay under the table.

An American who does not pay taxes or file a tax return can go to jail. The illegal alien who reports his boss's offense is admitting his own guilt. Quite a conundrum. Unless of course this law gives UNEQUAL TREATMENT of the law in favor of the illegal...

Word on the street is that the illegals working in construction here in NJ make around 10 bucks an hour; 15 if they speak English. Cash under the table with no deductions. I imagine many of the unemployed in NJ wouldn't mind that kind of "exploitation".

So 'legals' in NJ won't take under the table work in construction, or anywhere for that matter?

You are comically naive.

Who said that? There are plenty of people who work under the table and grift on entitlements here. Serious problem. But HONEST people who are unemployed won't do that.

The topic is "illegal immigrants".

Illegals have NO RIGHTS at all ever. Take them to the border and send them across with the warning, we have your picture, if you come back you will be shot on the spot and youy body dumped over the fence. No other country in the world puts up with this BS. As for jobs, welfare recipients can take those jobs or go without, their choice. The Obama group of fools just don't get it except that they hope to get enough sympathy votes to win next time.

I suppose the citizenship for children could be negotiable, but I still think only children of citizens should be eligible for automatic citizenship. Otherwise there is too much incentive to figure out some way, legally or illegally, to be here when your kid is born with legal right to be here permanently, and we compassionate Americans then don't have the heart to send Mom home when her Visa expires or even if she is here illegally. And the way it's happening now, the kid can bring in all the other siblings, grandparents, cousins, uncles and aunts as well.

Each new lawful immigrant that becomes assimilated into our society adds an additional flavor to the 'soup' but does not jeopardize language, borders, culture that makes America wonderful and unique.

We simply have to utilize common sense in order to have orderly immigration in a manner that doesn't overload social services and that allows the newcomers to have gainful employment, a place to live, and ability assimilate seamlessly into the existing culture. Any other policy I think is counter productive, destructive, and puts us in danger of losing our unique culture as well as quality of life.

You've made some excellent points. After reading many of the posts on this thread do you really believe common sense will impact bigotry, unlawful entry and unlawful hiring?

Illegal aliens should not have the right to anything other than emergency medical attention, reasonably humane treatment, and enough cheap food and water to prevent starvation and dehydration for the brief time it takes to deport them. All people here illegally should be subject to a fine that will be larger with each subsequent offense.
In which case we need to add "unless you are an illegal alien" to most of the bill rights as well as a number of other places in the constitution. Some people seem to believe our constitution should only apply to select groups of people. There are many countries where that is the case, but not in the US.

All the Constitution guarantees to those who break the law in this country is a speedy trial when warranted, a jury of their peers when warranted, and that the State will impose 'no cruel or unusual punishment.' The law is clear that those who enter the country illegally will be deported. There is nothing in the policy I propose that violates the Constitution in any way.
Mind you, I’m not necessarily in favor of illegal aliens having all constitutional rights; however I think their rights go well beyond what you listed. Except for the right to vote, hold office, and bear arms, I think they have all other rights of citizens. While many argue that "We the People of the United States," refers only to legal citizens, the Supreme Court has consistently disagreed.

In the final analysis, the courts have ruled that, while illegal aliens are within the borders of the United States, they are granted the same fundamental, undeniable constitutional rights granted to all Americans.

Last edited:
this is not about a "right" in my opinion....it's about the law....and the law in this country guarantees a minimum wage, when working. Anything less than that, is an EMPLOYER breaking the law.

the law does NOT STATE that the minimum wage is ONLY guaranteed for American citizens, or for non felons or for whites or for blacks or for hispanics or for only males etc.....the law states that employers have to pay a minimum wage for work provided by their employees.

can't get more simple than that......

Giving employers the choice of paying minimum wage for American citizens and NOT having to pay minimum wage for illegals is giving the employer the incentive to hire illegals....and THAT is what we DO NOT WANT imo.
Unless the law qualified as to who it applies, it applies to everyone.

You've made some excellent points. After reading many of the posts on this thread do you really believe common sense will impact bigotry, unlawful entry and unlawful hiring?
Dittos for foxfyre's post. I fully support our nation's welcoming of legal immigrants. Heck I think productive people should have an easier time of getting lawful Resident Alien status.
I was acquainted with a guy who was from Canada. He was a professional software designer who was here on a work visa. He wanted to gain Resident Alien status but because he was on a contract with his employer, he was ineligible. Every 6 months, he had to at his expense, return to Canada for a week to apply for a new visa then come back.
His daughter, a college graduate with a masters at age 22 wanted to come live with him to increase her career opportunities. She could not because her father could not become an RA. Meanwhile fast forward to 2011. We have illegals streaming across our border with impunity, get...no TAKE jobs away from Americans. And not the shit jobs either. Good construction jobs where some skills are required.

The labor secretary proudly drove her Chevy to the levee and didn't even know that her car was made in Canada. How out of touch can the Obama administration be?

In which case we need to add "unless you are an illegal alien" to most of the bill rights as well as a number of other places in the constitution. Some people seem to believe our constitution should only apply to select groups of people. There are many countries where that is the case, but not in the US.

All the Constitution guarantees to those who break the law in this country is a speedy trial when warranted, a jury of their peers when warranted, and that the State will impose 'no cruel or unusual punishment.' The law is clear that those who enter the country illegally will be deported. There is nothing in the policy I propose that violates the Constitution in any way.
Mind you, I’m not necessarily in favor of illegal aliens having all constitutional rights; however I think their rights go well beyond what you listed. Except for the right to vote, hold office, and bear arms, I think they have all other rights of citizens. While many argue that "We the People of the United States," refers only to legal citizens, the Supreme Court has consistently disagreed.

In the final analysis, the courts have ruled that, while illegal aliens are within the borders of the United States, they are granted the same fundamental, undeniable constitutional rights granted to all Americans.
Yes the Amendments do apply to all who rest upon our soil. However, the Framers never anticipated such turmoil. Changes need to be made. The 14th Amendment allowing birthright citizenship must be clarified to disallow automatic citizenship to those born here should they be born of parents or one parent that is illegal .
Those born to parents or one parent here undocumented, shall not be considered a citizen.
However, once that person reaches the age of majority, he or she may apply for Resident Alien Status. There also should be a price to pay for this.
Fact is this nation cannot afford to absorb every single person that desires to reside in our country.

Last edited:

Bigotry is not an issue. People are either here legally or they are not. Their race, ethnicity, language, gender, sexual orientation, or country of origin is immaterial as to whether they are here legally or they are not. ALL people who presume to break our laws should receive the same consequences for breaking our laws.

If we as a nation have the will to make it unprofitable and unattractive to be in this country illegally, the very few who will be here illegally will be manageable while the tens of millions currently here illegally are not manageable and are a serious drag and drain on our economy and social services. I think my outline for reform or a reasonable facsimile of it is just, humane, compassionate, and practical in dealing with the problem.

Getting all mushy and looking the other way when our laws are broken just because we feel compassion for the lawbreakers only encourages more law breaking. And if we continue to overload the system and bring more people in than can be properly assimilated, we will sooner or later become the miserable places they left to come here.

And we won't be in a position to help ourselves, much less anybody else.

Forum List

Back