Ocean temperture records

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
I was reading this article because I wanted to know what records we have of the history on the oceans temperture and I couldn't believe what I was reading in Scientific American

Please tell me I am not comprehending this right...

The way I gather the GB ship in 1872 The Challenger sailed the worlds oceans and recorded 260 ocean temperture readings.

Fast forward to 2004 and we start putting temperture reading buoys and Ureka!!! The ocean is warmer by 0.6 degree Celsius on the surface and 0.1 degree Celsius at depth?

No records for over a 100 years and this is science?

135 Years of Records Reveals Deep Ocean Warming - Scientific American

From the link
Her Majesty's Ship Challenger set sail in 1872. Stripped of her guns and outfitted for science, her mission was to sail around the globe sampling as she went.

Among other scientific triumphs, theChallenger gathered the first global set of ocean temperature readings, more than 260 in all. The British expedition measured from the surface to a depth beyond 900 meters.

In 2004 a set of drifting buoys began to make similar measurements. There are now more than 3,000 of these floats bobbing in the world's seas, collecting oceanographic information.

I was reading this article because I wanted to know what records we have of the history on the oceans temperture and I couldn't believe what I was reading in Scientific American

The way I gather the GB ship in 1872 The Challenger sailed the worlds oceans and recorded 260 ocean temperture readings.

Fast forward to 2004 and we start putting temperture reading buoys and Ureka!!! The ocean is warmer by 0.6 degree Celsius on the surface and 0.1 degree Celsius at depth?

From the link
Her Majesty's Ship Challenger set sail in 1872. Stripped of her guns and outfitted for science, her mission was to sail around the globe sampling as she went.

Among other scientific triumphs, theChallenger gathered the first global set of ocean temperature readings, more than 260 in all. The British expedition measured from the surface to a depth beyond 900 meters.

In 2004 a set of drifting buoys began to make similar measurements. There are now more than 3,000 of these floats bobbing in the world's seas, collecting oceanographic information.

And the temperatures in 1892 were accurate to a tenth of a degree too, amiright?!

The AGWCult finally signed their Death Warrant with the "Oceans ate my global warming" fictional narrative

What did they do in 1872 to get temperture readings at a depth of 900 meters?

Tie a thermometer to rope and an anchor, throw it overboard and pull it up real fast????????

From the link

And the temperatures in 1892 were accurate to a tenth of a degree too, amiright?!

The AGWCult finally signed their Death Warrant with the "Oceans ate my global warming" fictional narrative
The man made climate change cult is like Swiss cheese, so many holes in it.

They just don't know, But are so arrogant and think they do.

Last edited:

Tie a thermometer to rope and an anchor, throw it overboard and pull it up real fast????????

They're using records maintained by Popeye himself!

From the link

They just don't know, But are so argant and think they do.

They're abusing the nonconfrontational nature of real scientists. By rights people who dedicate their lives to real science should boot these lying AGWCult motherfuckers to the curb

From the link

They just don't know, But are so argant and think they do.

They're abusing the nonconfrontational nature of real scientists. By rights people who dedicate their lives to real science should boot these lying AGWCult motherfuckers to the curb
I know is it to much to ask for real science? To go for the truth?

And quit trying to out b.s. low information folks....

This article from scientific american is mind blowing to me and I thought land temperture records were bad in the 1900's ...

they threw a bucket in the water and pulled it up and took its temperature. You know, back then they could go down 900 meters with a bucket and ensure that the only water they collected came from that depth.

Too funny!

they threw a bucket in the water and pulled it up and took its temperature. You know, back then they could go down 900 meters with a bucket and ensure that the only water they collected came from that depth.

Too funny!
that's what they did?

Yea nothing got in the way to contaminate the temperture sample and they put a thermometer in it real fast.....

What a joke, these guys lack common sense....

What a cult.

And wait for it......

Some old guy wearing bifocals read the thermometer to a tenth of a degree Celsius...

A joke....

Too funny!
that's what they did?

Yea nothing got in the way to contaminate the temperture sample and they put a thermometer in it real fast.....

What a cult.
oh, oh, oh, and they got the reading down to a hundredth degree. They had those 1870 technical thermometers that could read in hundredths.

And wait for it......

Some old guy wearing bifocals read the thermometer to a tenth of a degree Celsius...

A joke....
well the guy with the bifocals had to have that invented digital thermometer made back then to do that as well.

Too funny!
that's what they did?

What a cult.
oh, oh, oh, and they got the reading down to a hundredth degree. They had those 1870 technical thermometers that could read in hundredths.
Wonder when crick will enter this thread and produce graphs and other fake data bull shit to clean up a 100 years of no data on oceans temperatures ?

Too funny!
that's what they did?

What a cult.
Wonder when crick will enter this thread and produce graphs and other fake data bull shit to clean up a 100 years of no data on oceans temperatures ?
hey BTW, the ocean water volume is rather large wouldn't you say? I mean I think the oceans make up 70% of the planet. And in 1872 that boat took 260 samples. So how much of that 70% water do you think that number represents?

Then the article states we now have many more buoys doing the temperature collections and that data gets dumped on the 260 samples. And these warmers think people are stupid and can't figure chit like that out. It's funny stuff indeed.

Too funny!
that's what they did?

What a cult.

Lmao it took crick a year

What took a year? I've never seen this stupid thread before. Do you see me making any comments before tonight? No. Did either of you actually go LOOK for older ocean temperature data? Apparently not.

What took a year? I've never seen this stupid thread before. Do you see me making any comments before tonight? No. Did either of you actually go LOOK for older ocean temperature data? Apparently not.

You little fibber I mentioned this thread numerous times in other posts.

Btw everything mentions the 1870 ship challenger, no other ship..

Researchers match modern ocean temperature records to those of the 1870s

For each of 273 Challenger temperature profiles from the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, researchers interpolated Argo measurements from the same location, depth, and time of year. Modern surface ocean temperatures (averaged over 2004-2010) were higher at 211 of those points. On average, the surface of the Atlantic is about 1°C warmer—0.4°C for the Pacific. The authors write, “As the Challenger's sampling was more intensive in the Atlantic and the warming may be greater in that ocean, we estimate the global difference as the area-weighted mean of the Atlantic and Pacific values, 0.59° C ±0.12.”

Forum List

Back