Ocean tides

Stars do not move ... at least not over human life spans ... or perhaps the jet at M81 ...
The stars are not fixed, but are constantly moving. If you factor out the daily arcing motion of the stars across the sky due to the earth's rotation, you end up with a pattern of stars that seems to never change

The stars are not fixed, but are constantly moving. If you factor out the daily arcing motion of the stars across the sky due to the earth's rotation, you end up with a pattern of stars that seems to never change

We start with the star in fixed positions ... and see the Earth spinning ... from here we also see the tides are stationary, lined up with the stars, and not the Earth ... she just spins underneath us ...

We can start with the Earth fixed, and do a bunch for trig and come up with the same answers ... just the math is easier with fixed stars ...

Here in the United States ... our speed with respect to the stars is roughly 700 mph ... in circles ... around and around ... the tides stay lined up with the stars ... so yes, the Earth turns under the water ...
At the attic circle the speed is much slower and you weigh far less

And you know the limits of your understanding and don't pretend to know more ...

Two tides ...

The lunar tide is over dominate, the solar tide just amplifies or interferes with the lunar tide ... at New and Full Moon; the Sun, Moon and Earth are lined up, the tides add together and we have "spring tides" ... First and Last Quarter the tides fight against each other and we see smaller change, the "neap tides" ...

If spring tide occurs near the Moon's closest approach to Earth ... perigee is when gravity is the strongest ... then we have what main stream media calls a Ridiculous Tides ... then add Earth's closest approach to the Sun ... perihelion around Jan 3rd every year ... then we have Ludicrous Tides ...

Seriously ... this happened ... or a very close approximation ... first week of January, 2017, Ludicrous Tides ... I had to go looking for any reports of coastal flooding ... highest tides allowed by astronomy and no one noticed ...
I get accused of being a dolt here but I am much smarter than everyone here believes

At the attic circle the speed is much slower and you weigh far less

1,040 mph x cos (66º34') is a little over 400 mph ... and I wouldn't call a single pound of weigh at the pole as far less, I'd call it trivial ... you're only 13 miles closer to the Earth's center-of-gravity ...

Remember ... the Earth is closer to a perfect sphere than a championship grade billiard ball ... and her orbit around the Sun is within two Earth diameters of a perfect circle ...

We start with the star in fixed positions ... and see the Earth spinning ... from here we also see the tides are stationary, lined up with the stars, and not the Earth ... she just spins underneath us ...

We can start with the Earth fixed, and do a bunch for trig and come up with the same answers ... just the math is easier with fixed stars ...
It's crazy to think that the oceans are still and it's the earth moving.

Stars do not move ... at least not over human life spans ... or perhaps the jet at M81 ...
Yes, the Sun does move in space. The Sun and the entire Solar System revolve around the center of our own Galaxy - the Milky Way.

Look at these galaxies colliding

1658498127785.png

Yet none of the stars will ever touch. They look close to each other but each dot is at least as far apart from each other as we are to our closest neighbor alpha centuri.

1,040 mph x cos (66º34') is a little over 400 mph ... and I wouldn't call a single pound of weigh at the pole as far less, I'd call it trivial ... you're only 13 miles closer to the Earth's center-of-gravity ...

Remember ... the Earth is closer to a perfect sphere than a championship grade billiard ball ... and her orbit around the Sun is within two Earth diameters of a perfect circle ...
Your weight is several pounds less at poles

The Earth is close to a perfect sphere? Based on what?

The Earth is close to a perfect sphere? Based on what?

13 miles difference between equatorial radius and polar radius ... in comparison to the 3,957 mile average radius ... 0.3% is pretty damn close to a perfect sphere ... billiard balls are required to be within 0.5% tolerance for world championship play ...

On the other hand ... 13 miles is a lot compared to the altitude difference between New Orleans and Minneapolis ... if the Earth didn't spin ... the Mississippi River would run north and empty into the Northern Ocean ...

Last edited:
Can I see your math? ... I come up with 4.8 newtons ... which is about a pound US ... that's using my own weight of 750 N ...
I dont know any MATH
I just have imagination and I got that information from an big time Astro-Physics guy on YT

Forum List

Back