oh no did we just find Aliens ?

I don't know why we still even debate the idea that life exists outside of Earth. It's silly to think we are the only living things in the vast universe which is so massive that human brains can barely fathom the enormity of it.
According to Penn State, we are probably the only intelligent life form with the abilities that we have.

just think of all the animals there are on earth. How many can use tools to really get things done.

now, think of all the animals that used to be here

now think about the billions of years it took for us to get here.

odds are that when we meet aliens, it's us finding them on their planet.

True. But all of that developed on one little rock in one little solar system in the corner of one little galaxy.

Billions of trillions of other solar systems exist....each with dozens of other little rocks.

What makes our so special? Unless.....something divine is involved....right libs?
just think of all the animals that are and have been

out of all of those, only one made to civilization

Dolphins? Certainly not humans, civilization is not the word I'd use, especially look at people on this forum.
herding is not civilization

gaspingatstraws.gif

But why would anyone EXPECT us to be able to spot sentient civilizations in other galaxies? How would they have spotted a Roman Empire type of civilization in another galaxy?
electronic scanners can pick out protein and chlorophyll since they only occur in animals and plants.

no one able to 'see' this far would rely on telescopes except to enjoy what it looks like.

They only occur in animals and plants on Earth you mean?
don't be daft

you're grabbing at straws
Why do you assume that all life is like Earth life?

I remember the shock and surprise many had when it was discovered that microbes could live in the extremely hot venting systems along the oceans floor.

If life can be so diverse just on one planet, imagine what might be out there in the entire universe.

Dolphins? Certainly not humans, civilization is not the word I'd use, especially look at people on this forum.

Puleeze.

While the 'There is no sign of intelligent life' meme is funny, it is not literally true at all, and I hope you realize that. As far as we know, we are the only intelligent sentient species capable of making tools, engines computers, etc.

Mankind is, overall a very noble creature. But we do have the capacity for horrifying deeds, all the same, but that does not mean we are less advanced intellectually but only morally.

There have been million, if not billions of different animals and plants on earth.

no animal can live and not have protein, no plant can live and not have chlo.

your assumption, that in some magical world there's a planet full of plants and animals that don't have it is utter nonsense.

now, prove your factless assumption to be true.

oh wait, you can't.

Is it impossible that silicon might be able to play the same role in life that carbon plays given different parameters for that environment?

But why would anyone EXPECT us to be able to spot sentient civilizations in other galaxies? How would they have spotted a Roman Empire type of civilization in another galaxy?
electronic scanners can pick out protein and chlorophyll since they only occur in animals and plants.

no one able to 'see' this far would rely on telescopes except to enjoy what it looks like.

don't be daft

Prove it. Prove that it's the same on all planets.

Your answer is merely passing off what I say because you simply can't know.
you want me to prove your assumption wrong?

an assumption that has no facts to back it up?

ok

There have been million, if not billions of different animals and plants on earth.

your assumption, that in some magical world there's a planet full of plants and animals that don't have it is utter nonsense.

oh wait, you can't.

You're talking about what you've seen on Earth. The Earth has a certain type of balance that other planets wouldn't have. You're giving me evidence for other potential life based on how the Earth is. I'm sorry if you think your "evidence" is compelling or something, but I'm not convinced. Basically you can't prove anything.

Based upon USMB posting, aliens have concluded that there is no intelligent life on Earth

If you want to talk about "intelligent" forms of life on Earth, how about them dinosaurs, their decedents today, specifically ravens/crows. Those fuckers are scary smart and social. There's a /lot/ of intelligent critters who are not social as well; octopus, dogs, etc. IF humans had not become the top predators via our thumbs and tool making skills, who's to say those critters wouldn't evolve outside their "nitches" and rule the world.

If you want to talk about "intelligent" forms of life on Earth, how about them dinosaurs, their decedents today, specifically ravens/crows. Those fuckers are scary smart and social. There's a /lot/ of intelligent critters who are not social as well; octopus, dogs, etc. IF humans had not become the top predators via our thumbs and tool making skills, who's to say those critters wouldn't evolve outside their "nitches" and rule the world.

Dogs are very social.

Very discouraging article. Thanks for the info though.

don't be daft

Why do you assume that all life is like Earth life?

I remember the shock and surprise many had when it was discovered that microbes could live in the extremely hot venting systems along the oceans floor.

If life can be so diverse just on one planet, imagine what might be out there in the entire universe.
and those microbes have protein in them

oh wait, you can't.

Is it impossible that silicon might be able to play the same role in life that carbon plays given different parameters for that environment?
yes

don't be daft

Prove it. Prove that it's the same on all planets.

Your answer is merely passing off what I say because you simply can't know.
you want me to prove your assumption wrong?

an assumption that has no facts to back it up?

ok

oh wait, you can't.

You're talking about what you've seen on Earth. The Earth has a certain type of balance that other planets wouldn't have. You're giving me evidence for other potential life based on how the Earth is. I'm sorry if you think your "evidence" is compelling or something, but I'm not convinced. Basically you can't prove anything.
you made a false claim, and absolutely false claim that you can't prove, at all.

but I'm wrong

you're fucking dismissed.

the only thing to survive the TK event was rodents.

mammals that lived underground

And you believe that all forms of life must be based on or include protein?

We have only one planet we know of with life so far, that isnt a very broad sample size when talking about billions of stars in just our galaxy alone.

And you believe that all forms of life must be based on or include protein?

We have only one planet we know of with life so far, that isnt a very broad sample size when talking about billions of stars in just our galaxy alone.
good lord

we have had huge swings in climate, from ice ball to finding fern fossils in the arctic circle

all animals had protein and all plants had chlo

the idea that somewhere, out there, it's so different that some other chemical ooze made life is really far fetched

really really far fetched

So you believe that everything has evolved from rodents?
we actually know that it was only rodents.

unless you want to go with bugs

but the research is out there

but I think evolution is bullshit b/c we know we would have to have all come from rodents, and that's just absurd.

we have had huge swings in climate, from ice ball to finding fern fossils in the arctic circle

all animals had protein and all plants had chlo

the idea that somewhere, out there, it's so different that some other chemical ooze made life is really far fetched

really really far fetched

You seem to think that life on this planet is some sort of huge statistical base for getting an idea of what is plausible for a range of life forms.

But once life evolved here using the characteristics it has, the die was cast, dude, dont you get that? ALL life was going to follow as protein based life, using water, oxygen, carbon and nitrogen. So the statistics are not 'millions out of millions' forms of life are like what we have here, it is essentially just 'one out of one'.

So you believe that everything has evolved from rodents?
we actually know that it was only rodents.

unless you want to go with bugs

but the research is out there

but I think evolution is bullshit b/c we know we would have to have all come from rodents, and that's just absurd.

I think it is safe to say that more than just rodents survived, dude.

How about a linky?

Forum List

Back