🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

oh no did we just find Aliens ?

I'd agree that any "intelligent" species is going to be a predator type (aka a hunter) and I concur that a harsh environment would spur intellectual evolution far faster than a lush one. However, I think it can also be said that an intelligent creature is also going to be a social creature, and I think there is something to be said that an intelligent social creature thrives on beneficial relationships. If we look at most "social" species on the planet they work together; excepting insects who are not exactly "nice" but then again, they're only "intelligent" because of their society.

I figure if aliens ever get here, they are either going to be saying hello because they're curious or they're going to swarm the planet, and I lean to the former simply because a "swarm" mentality doesn't lend to leaving their planet as easily as a curious mentality would. Not that it couldn't happen, I mean Hawking's is right that there could be a species that flies all over the universe and plagues planets like locust, but if we presume such a swarm is looking for food, we can't just presume that Earth has what they eat either. IF they eat something like the minerals that are common in asteroids rather than on Earth, they might do us a favor on their way through heh All in all, I think a curious intelligence is far more likely to come here than a warlike one. ~shrug~

I don't know why we still even debate the idea that life exists outside of Earth. It's silly to think we are the only living things in the vast universe which is so massive that human brains can barely fathom the enormity of it.
According to Penn State, we are probably the only intelligent life form with the abilities that we have.

just think of all the animals there are on earth. How many can use tools to really get things done.

now, think of all the animals that used to be here

now think about the billions of years it took for us to get here.

odds are that when we meet aliens, it's us finding them on their planet.

Unless of course there are planets which have allowed a species to develop quicker because they have more abundance of food.
there aren't any in over 1 million stars that have been searched.

sorry, but this is as good as it gets for light eons.

Give me the link to that story, I'd like to see how they come up with that conclusion.
And by the way, 1 million is a drop in the fucking Pacific when you consider the vastness of space and the # of stars.
Search for Advanced Civilizations Beyond Earth Finds Nothing Obvious in 100,000 Galaxies — Eberly College of Science

Very discouraging article. Thanks for the info though.

According to Penn State, we are probably the only intelligent life form with the abilities that we have.

just think of all the animals there are on earth. How many can use tools to really get things done.

Unless of course there are planets which have allowed a species to develop quicker because they have more abundance of food.

Give me the link to that story, I'd like to see how they come up with that conclusion.
And by the way, 1 million is a drop in the fucking Pacific when you consider the vastness of space and the # of stars.
Search for Advanced Civilizations Beyond Earth Finds Nothing Obvious in 100,000 Galaxies — Eberly College of Science

But why would anyone EXPECT us to be able to spot sentient civilizations in other galaxies? How would they have spotted a Roman Empire type of civilization in another galaxy?

But why would anyone EXPECT us to be able to spot sentient civilizations in other galaxies? How would they have spotted a Roman Empire type of civilization in another galaxy?
electronic scanners can pick out protein and chlorophyll since they only occur in animals and plants.

no one able to 'see' this far would rely on telescopes except to enjoy what it looks like.

electronic scanners can pick out protein and chlorophyll since they only occur in animals and plants.

no one able to 'see' this far would rely on telescopes except to enjoy what it looks like.

They only occur in animals and plants on Earth you mean?

I don't know why we still even debate the idea that life exists outside of Earth. It's silly to think we are the only living things in the vast universe which is so massive that human brains can barely fathom the enormity of it.

True. But all of that developed on one little rock in one little solar system in the corner of one little galaxy.

Billions of trillions of other solar systems exist....each with dozens of other little rocks.

What makes our so special? Unless.....something divine is involved....right libs?

i think penn state got it wrong

there are places much older then us in the universe

So their basically looking for just life and not necessarily civilizations. There appears there maybe life on Mars, and yet we have spotted similar gasses.

"Galaxies range in size from dwarfs with just a few thousand (103) stars to giants with one hundred trillion (1014) stars,.....Approximately 170 billion (1.7 × 1011) to 200 billion (2.0 × 1011) galaxies exist in the observable universe.[11] Most of the galaxies are 1,000 to 100,000 parsecs in diameter and usually separated by distances on the order of millions of parsecs..."

Galaxy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Methinks you grossly over estimate the ability to RULE OUT the existence of life in other galaxies if we cant necessarily even rule it out on our second closest planet.

Finally had time to read that article. I don't think that article precludes life in the universe, rather it says that there were no super advanced civilizations using massive amounts of energy and putting off massive amounts of heat within the 100,000 systems they studied.

I am also a bit... disappointed by the "those systems are billions of years old thus had time to develop an advanced civilization" argument from their scientists - we are /not/ seeing those systems as they are today, but rather as they were millions or even billions of years ago (depending on how far away they are) because of the speed of light (which infrared is also subject to.) Our planet is nearly 4 billion years old and /we/ aren't using our stars energy in a way that WISE could detect either.

don't be daft

you're grabbing at straws

True. But all of that developed on one little rock in one little solar system in the corner of one little galaxy.

Billions of trillions of other solar systems exist....each with dozens of other little rocks.

What makes our so special? Unless.....something divine is involved....right libs?
just think of all the animals that are and have been

out of all of those, only one made to civilization

Take another angle to the question.

Say we had an omniscient view of all sentient civilization at this moment, where along the left side being numbers of sentient civilizations and the lower being relative advancement in Earth years. I am guessing there would be a Bell curve like distribution. Now we would be at 2015, but where would the center of the Bell curve be? Before us? After us? right in the middle? Lets make a very conceited assumption and assume that we are in a two sigma deviation (deviation of 500 years) from the average, and that puts the center of the Bell Curve at about a thousand years behind us.

IF there are as many as a million sentient races in our galaxy we have still thousands of more advanced sentient civilizations ahead of us.

Moral of the story; WE ARE BEING WATCHED RIGHT NOW BY SUPER GENIUS ALIENS.

:D
considering we couldn't get to them for generations, there's no reason for them to not communicate.

or, most likely

there isn't anything out there
Do you communicate with ants? They (aliens) are too far advanced and we are just one ant hill not worth communicating with cuz we are too busy destroying our ant hill or competitor ant hills for them to bother with. We wouldn't understand whatever they had to say IF they chose to say anything at all.

Say we had an omniscient view of all sentient civilization at this moment, where along the left side being numbers of sentient civilizations and the lower being relative advancement in Earth years. I am guessing there would be a Bell curve like distribution. Now we would be at 2015, but where would the center of the Bell curve be? Before us? After us? right in the middle? Lets make a very conceited assumption and assume that we are in a two sigma deviation (deviation of 500 years) from the average, and that puts the center of the Bell Curve at about a thousand years behind us.

IF there are as many as a million sentient races in our galaxy we have still thousands of more advanced sentient civilizations ahead of us.

considering we couldn't get to them for generations, there's no reason for them to not communicate.

or, most likely

Do you communicate with ants? They (aliens) are too far advanced and we are just one ant hill not worth communicating with cuz we are too busy destroying our ant hill or competitor ant hills for them to bother with. We wouldn't understand whatever they had to say IF they chose to say anything at all.
A people capable of traveling in space aren't ants

people that look down on humanity really piss me off.

for all you know, we are the most advanced being ever

or, most likely

A people capable of traveling in space aren't ants

people that look down on humanity really piss me off.

for all you know, we are the most advanced being ever
Ever watch ants? Fascinating critters. To get across rivers...they climb bushes, gnaw a leaf stem, hang on, float down to the water and cross over to where they wanted to go.
I didn't mean to piss you off. Just saying that that's a mighty waste of space out there if we are the only ones. And we still haven't advanced enough yet to find enlightenment, so to speak. We shit in our own woods, too. We haven't learned anything yet, about ourselves. Anything out there is either smarter than us or dumber than us. Who knows.

don't be daft

Prove it. Prove that it's the same on all planets.

Your answer is merely passing off what I say because you simply can't know.

just think of all the animals that are and have been

out of all of those, only one made to civilization

Dolphins? Certainly not humans, civilization is not the word I'd use, especially look at people on this forum.

don't be daft

Prove it. Prove that it's the same on all planets.

Your answer is merely passing off what I say because you simply can't know.
you want me to prove your assumption wrong?

an assumption that has no facts to back it up?

ok

There have been million, if not billions of different animals and plants on earth.

no animal can live and not have protein, no plant can live and not have chlo.

your assumption, that in some magical world there's a planet full of plants and animals that don't have it is utter nonsense.

now, prove your factless assumption to be true.

oh wait, you can't.

Forum List

Back