🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

oh no did we just find Aliens ?

They only occur in animals and plants on Earth you mean?
don't be daft

you're grabbing at straws

Prove it. Prove that it's the same on all planets.

Your answer is merely passing off what I say because you simply can't know.
you want me to prove your assumption wrong?

an assumption that has no facts to back it up?

ok

There have been million, if not billions of different animals and plants on earth.

no animal can live and not have protein, no plant can live and not have chlo.

your assumption, that in some magical world there's a planet full of plants and animals that don't have it is utter nonsense.

now, prove your factless assumption to be true.

oh wait, you can't.

You're talking about what you've seen on Earth. The Earth has a certain type of balance that other planets wouldn't have. You're giving me evidence for other potential life based on how the Earth is. I'm sorry if you think your "evidence" is compelling or something, but I'm not convinced. Basically you can't prove anything.
you made a false claim, and absolutely false claim that you can't prove, at all.

but I'm wrong

you're fucking dismissed.

The fact is I don't need to prove anything at all. You're the one making a claim, I'm saying you have no idea whether you're right or not, and everyone knows it.

As for all the other nonsense you wrong, boring.

we have had huge swings in climate, from ice ball to finding fern fossils in the arctic circle

all animals had protein and all plants had chlo

the idea that somewhere, out there, it's so different that some other chemical ooze made life is really far fetched

really really far fetched

You seem to think that life on this planet is some sort of huge statistical base for getting an idea of what is plausible for a range of life forms.

But once life evolved here using the characteristics it has, the die was cast, dude, dont you get that? ALL life was going to follow as protein based life, using water, oxygen, carbon and nitrogen. So the statistics are not 'millions out of millions' forms of life are like what we have here, it is essentially just 'one out of one'.
false assumption.

life happens, if life could be based another way, there would have been one example by now.

the only thing to survive the TK event was rodents.

mammals that lived underground

So you believe that everything has evolved from rodents?
we actually know that it was only rodents.

unless you want to go with bugs

but the research is out there

but I think evolution is bullshit b/c we know we would have to have all come from rodents, and that's just absurd.

I think it is safe to say that more than just rodents survived, dude.

How about a linky?
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/01/100131221348.htm

damn people, turn to the Science channel once in a while

[
false assumption.

life happens, if life could be based another way, there would have been one example by now.

How many other planets have we found life on yet? Just the one we are on, right?

So you have no database to draw your presumptions from.

the only thing to survive the TK event was rodents.

mammals that lived underground

So you believe that everything has evolved from rodents?
we actually know that it was only rodents.

unless you want to go with bugs

but the research is out there

but I think evolution is bullshit b/c we know we would have to have all come from rodents, and that's just absurd.

I think it is safe to say that more than just rodents survived, dude.

How about a linky?
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/01/100131221348.htm

damn people, turn to the Science channel once in a while

Dude you own link proves you wrong.

"Mammals, in contrast, could eat insects and aquatic plants, which were relatively abundant after the meteor strike. As the remaining dinosaurs died off, mammals began to flourish. Although representatives from other classes of animals also survived the K/T extinction -- crocodiles, for instance, had the saving ability to take to water -- mammals were clearly the main beneficiaries and they have since spread to nearly every corner of the planet."

No, but they found us - long ago.

This story is meant to place in our minds a "real" possibility of the existence of alien life. They will soon reveal themselves to us, I'd say within the next decade. This constitutes a fabricated back-story and is meant to soften the psychological blow and temper panic.

Why now? To settle several debates once and for all. Including (but not limited to) the bullshit "global warming" theory, the real value of fossil fuels and hydrocarbons, and the nonsense behind the "green" and "renewable" movements.

:lol:

:slap:

PS- then they will begin harvesting our fossil fuels for their own use while destroying wind turbines, solar installations, hydroelectric dams, and geothermal plants.

Then they're round up all the farmers 'cause aliens like a good ass-fucking.

Very discouraging article. Thanks for the info though.

But why would anyone EXPECT us to be able to spot sentient civilizations in other galaxies? How would they have spotted a Roman Empire type of civilization in another galaxy?
electronic scanners can pick out protein and chlorophyll since they only occur in animals and plants.

no one able to 'see' this far would rely on telescopes except to enjoy what it looks like.

They only occur in animals and plants on Earth you mean?
don't be daft

you're grabbing at straws
Why do you assume that all life is like Earth life?

I remember the shock and surprise many had when it was discovered that microbes could live in the extremely hot venting systems along the oceans floor.

If life can be so diverse just on one planet, imagine what might be out there in the entire universe.
That was a double shock, Jim. First, that life could use a differant system for energy, one involving sulpher, rather than carbon, and that these extremeophiles were basically very old life, maybe even closely related to the first complex life.

That was a double shock, Jim. First, that life could use a differant system for energy, one involving sulpher, rather than carbon, and that these extremeophiles were basically very old life, maybe even closely related to the first complex life.

Wow, we see Two Thumbs presumptions disproven already and we didnt even have to leave the planet. lol.

Thanks Old Rocks for the righteous data.

I agree that a non-protein life form could evolve on another planet. We are adapted, and thus evolved, specifically for this planet. I imagine any other life form is also adapted specifically for their own planet, whatever that contains, as well. If I recall correctly in Earth's own history we had life forms that did not need oxygen and actually got wiped out by oxygen "waste."

Still, I could see insects and bacteria being "common," or "more" common, I don't recall them being particularly adapted to Earth itself, but rather to their hosts. There's a number of insects that have resistance to radiation and all manner of things that would kill most known life forms on Earth. I know bacteria had survived in space in some experiments, but I can't remember if insects were tested or not. I'll have to try to remember to look it up when I get up.

[
false assumption.

How many other planets have we found life on yet? Just the one we are on, right?

NASA discovers 715 new planets, including four that could host life

Astronomers have announced that 715 new planets have been discovered outside the Earth’s solar system, including four planets that are more than double the size of our own. This discovery boosts the number of known planets in our galaxy to over 1,700.

I kinda do.

I don't know why we still even debate the idea that life exists outside of Earth. It's silly to think we are the only living things in the vast universe which is so massive that human brains can barely fathom the enormity of it.
According to Penn State, we are probably the only intelligent life form with the abilities that we have.

just think of all the animals there are on earth. How many can use tools to really get things done.

now, think of all the animals that used to be here

now think about the billions of years it took for us to get here.

odds are that when we meet aliens, it's us finding them on their planet.

Unless of course there are planets which have allowed a species to develop quicker because they have more abundance of food.

Or have been around and evolved for millions of years longer than us. Our system toward the outer edges of the galaxy. If the galaxy is spiraling inward toward the center ( like water down a drain) than we are galactic youngsters.

NASA discovers 715 new planets, including four that could host life
Astronomers have announced that 715 new planets have been discovered outside the Earth’s solar system, including four planets that are more than double the size of our own. This discovery boosts the number of known planets in our galaxy to over 1,700.

I kinda do.

No, you kinda dont since you dont know for an absolute certainty that there is life there or not.

on the galactic scale of 1-10, why do people always assume we are at 2?

I'm certain you'd say 1, if it wasn't for the fact we have technology.

we have an equal chance of being 10

I have no idea what you are talking about with your scale. Technological advance? I just gave an example for one where even if we are at 9.5, two standard deviations (as I can best remember how to calculate it) and the numbers still show that we are probably looking at lots of civilizations more advanced than us, even if there 95% behind us.

Forum List

Back