Ohio rape case...a slippery slope?

We're the boys prosecuted for underage drinking? Was anyone at the party?

All should have been.

No one was. The police focused on the rape and not the drinking.

All I can think right now is, say I'm jaywalking and a man mugs me in the middle of the road, and I press charges on the mugger, then you ask "did the cops give you a ticket for jaywalking?"

*blink blink*

The boys should be punished but when the mother of the victim stood up and lectured them it kinda got to me. This girl had a history of alchohol abuse and the mother should not be lecturing anyone about anything.
Why not?

Do you think it's okay to abuse someone who is compromised by alcohol or drugs? If you're not going to do anything to help such a person then at least leave them alone.

That girl's problem with alcohol harms no one but herself. And that problem has absolutely no similarity to what was done to her.

My question, was the gril prosecuted for under aged drinking? If not, why not, her behavior was the enabling factor in the whole incident. She has to bear some responsibility.
I don't know if you are a male or female. But if the former, and if you had access to a drunken woman, would you do to her what those "boys" did? That should be a very easy question to answer. And if your answer is no, please explain why.

For teen-age boys to have opportunistic sex with an unconscious girl is one thing. Taking and publicizing degrading photos of the girl demonstrates a contemptible character flaw that needs to be punitively corrected.

There's way too much vagueness in the story to draw reasonable conclusions, I simply asked if the girl is going to be held responsible for her known actions.

There's way too much vagueness in the story to draw reasonable conclusions, I simply asked if the girl is going to be held responsible for her known actions.
I will admit that aside from what I've read in this thread and saw briefly on television news I know nothing about the circumstances in this case. But whatever the details, there are certain essential behavioral principles which evidently have been violated and which call for severe punishment. The rules of civilized conduct demand that.

Last edited:
You are off, on many different levels. The boys' actions were indefensible. Someone being unconscious is not a license to rape her, or piss on her, nor laugh about her being dead.

A lifetime sentence as a sex offender is too lenient. It is not enough of a deterrent to keep other boys from just having fun at someone else's expense.

There is no evidence she was unconscious at the time the boy touched her with his finger.

Nobody got pissed on.

Laughing at someone should NEVER be against the law.

In any case, you didn't address the point. Are we now going to say that if a woman doesn't give specific consent to sex, her partner is guilty of rape?

I just don't buy it.
You are wrong on every level. They have her passed.put on film. They did piss on her. They have audio.of them saying she is passed out. You know what, as a father of a daughter, I say fuck you.

As you're apparently a father incapable of raising a daughter to not drink herself into a state of unconsciousness, I say right back at ya pal.

There is no slippery slope. It against the law to have sex with an unconscious person.period. it doesn't matter the person got into an unconscious state.

Like I said, I hadn't realized she was unconscious at the time they fiddled with her girly bits. I had read she was simply drunk, but not unconscious. Mea culpa.

Except, of course, that the young woman who was sexually assaulted is now getting death threats, texts, e-mails. Her life - & her family's life - in that town is essentially over.

In the long run, it's probably better for the family to move away & try to outlive the notoriety. I don't see any way that all the parties are going to forgive each other & try to settle back into the semblance of normality.

If the investigation into what happened hadn't turned into a virtual Internet circus, it might be possible for everyone to agree to forgive & forget. But it's too high profile of a case, the media are all over the story.

& so now we have the addition of insult to injury ...

You are off, on many different levels. The boys' actions were indefensible. Someone being unconscious is not a license to rape her, or piss on her, nor laugh about her being dead.

A lifetime sentence as a sex offender is too lenient. It is not enough of a deterrent to keep other boys from just having fun at someone else's expense.

There is no evidence she was unconscious at the time the boy touched her with his finger.

Nobody got pissed on.

In any case, you didn't address the point. Are we now going to say that if a woman doesn't give specific consent to sex, her partner is guilty of rape?

I just don't buy it.

If you feel it was OK what these guys did.Feel free to do the same.If you feel strongly that the girl was at fault go ahead and have a good time I'm sure you are capable of getting some girl wasted.

Feel free to post your adventures on facebook if you'd like.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here but I think her being unconscious might have played a role here.
I thought guys in the year 2012-2013 should be aware of that.

Last edited:

Nobody got pissed on.

I just don't buy it.
You are wrong on every level. They have her passed.put on film. They did piss on her. They have audio.of them saying she is passed out. You know what, as a father of a daughter, I say fuck you.

As you're apparently a father incapable of raising a daughter to not drink herself into a state of unconsciousness, I say right back at ya pal.

Tell ya what... I raised two daughters. Neither one of which has ever drinked themselves into a state of unconsciousness...

I say Fuck YOU.

You've probably all heard about the Ohio juveniles convicted of raping a young woman too intoxicated to give consent. If not, the story is here:

Two teens found guilty in Steubenville rape case - CNN.com

While I think it was MONUMENTALLY stupid of those boys to take pictures of the drunk girl and post them on the internet, I must admit, at the risk of sounding cold, I'm not sure I support the rape conviction.

I don't want to "blame" the victim but on the other hand, nobody forced her to drink herself into oblivion. That was her choice, one that any one knows can lead to unintended and negative consequences. But that's not really my point.

My point is that while these boys, who were also drunk, messed with this girl (no penile penetration), I'm not sure I'd call it rape. While the girl never "consented" to relations, nor did she protest or ever utter a "no" or "stop".

My concern is about the NEXT time two drunks kids have at it. Have we come to a point where the girl can now claim rape because she never gave explicit consent? That's going to result in a lot of innocent boys branded for life as a pervert and that's wrong.

I say if you get so drunk you are unable to voice opposition to another horny teenager fingering your girly parts, you should probably focus on drinking less and not the actions of the drunk boy, all of whom deal with raging testosterone. Of course it's rape if the girl says 'no' but now it's rape if the girl doesn't say 'yes'? What next, signed consent before any sexual relations?!

I don't know, if it was my boy that did that, I'd punish him for sure, but I don't see imposing what is effectively a lifetime sentence of 'sex offender' that will ensure he never gets a good job or any opportunity for advancement. It just doesn't seem right to me. If it was my daughter, I wouldn't allow her to blame the boys. I'd reprimand her for being so damn irresponsible in the first place.

What say you? Am I off base here? I admit to not have a well formed opinion on this one. It just doesn't feel right to me.

I might agree with you had it not been for the posting of all those pictures. Those pictures gave credence to the fact that she did not give consent, because she was passed out, possibly drugged. Either way, her life is not going to be pretty for quite some time either. There are no winners in this, just losers.

You've probably all heard about the Ohio juveniles convicted of raping a young woman too intoxicated to give consent. If not, the story is here:

Two teens found guilty in Steubenville rape case - CNN.com

While I think it was MONUMENTALLY stupid of those boys to take pictures of the drunk girl and post them on the internet, I must admit, at the risk of sounding cold, I'm not sure I support the rape conviction.

I don't want to "blame" the victim but on the other hand, nobody forced her to drink herself into oblivion. That was her choice, one that any one knows can lead to unintended and negative consequences. But that's not really my point.

My point is that while these boys, who were also drunk, messed with this girl (no penile penetration), I'm not sure I'd call it rape. While the girl never "consented" to relations, nor did she protest or ever utter a "no" or "stop".

My concern is about the NEXT time two drunks kids have at it. Have we come to a point where the girl can now claim rape because she never gave explicit consent? That's going to result in a lot of innocent boys branded for life as a pervert and that's wrong.

I say if you get so drunk you are unable to voice opposition to another horny teenager fingering your girly parts, you should probably focus on drinking less and not the actions of the drunk boy, all of whom deal with raging testosterone. Of course it's rape if the girl says 'no' but now it's rape if the girl doesn't say 'yes'? What next, signed consent before any sexual relations?!

I don't know, if it was my boy that did that, I'd punish him for sure, but I don't see imposing what is effectively a lifetime sentence of 'sex offender' that will ensure he never gets a good job or any opportunity for advancement. It just doesn't seem right to me. If it was my daughter, I wouldn't allow her to blame the boys. I'd reprimand her for being so damn irresponsible in the first place.

What say you? Am I off base here? I admit to not have a well formed opinion on this one. It just doesn't feel right to me.

If I was walking down the street and saw a car with the keys in the ignition and took it would it be stealing because its owner was stupid ? Same type of thing here. No excuse for what they did, and I agree with the judge. They got slapped on the wrist considering what they did.

We're the boys prosecuted for underage drinking? Was anyone at the party?

All should have been.

All I can think right now is, say I'm jaywalking and a man mugs me in the middle of the road, and I press charges on the mugger, then you ask "did the cops give you a ticket for jaywalking?"

*blink blink*

So you think the largest single contributing factor should be ignored, what kind of a message does that send to other teens? Drink all you want, just don't screw around while you do it, or atleast don't document it with your cell phone.

I don't understand why in all other cases, driving, getting into a fight, spending money, being drunk does not excuse or remove you from your responsibilities, yet women can use this excuse to claim that they were raped.

I am not talking about being passed out drunk, that is obvious, but when a woman is drunk the law gives her the option to claim that she was too drunk to make the decision to have sex, but the man, who may be just as drunk, is held liable not only for having sex, but is guilty of having raped her.

When a woman--a young woman, especially--is in such a state, she is subject to predators. It is the responsibility of people in her company to protect her.

Period.

No.

It isn't.

Risk is risk.

Period.

Last edited:
All should have been.

*blink blink*

So you think the largest single contributing factor should be ignored, what kind of a message does that send to other teens? Drink all you want, just don't screw around while you do it, or atleast don't document it with your cell phone.
What the hell kind of message are you sending by whining about whether the rape victim was given a ticket for being drunk during her assault?

You can write the Steubenville police an angry letter and demand they give the rape victim her $250 ticket.

A 16 year old girl drinking like that may need treatment for a drinking problem, do you think this was the first time she got blitzed? Another question was where the hell were her parents while she lay naked on the couch of a strange house overnight? There's a butt load of questions that could be asked and blame to go to many parties other than just the boys.

Men have no rights in america and they better get used to it.

What's this country coming to when some guys can't do whatever they feel like to a passed out girl...

Unbelievable some of the posts here...
The law seemed to frown on what these guys did...
They had their fun now it's time to pay for it.
The jury did the right thing.
Let's hope the judge does the same.

Forum List

Back