🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Ohio Votes Down Gerrymandering. Thank You, Ohio!

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
On November 3, Ohio voters approved by a margin of 71% to 29% a constitutional amendment that will greatly reduce, or even eliminate, the gerrymandering of state legislative districts beginning in 2021.

Ratification of Issue 1 by the voters followed its approval by bipartisan votes of 28-1 in the Ohio State Senate and 81-7 in the Ohio House of Representatives.

The overwhelming success of this reform should encourage similar efforts in other states that have been badly gerrymandered, such as Virginia, Pennsylvania, Maryland, North Carolina, Michigan and Wisconsin.

In Ohio, attention now turns to reforms that would establish a fair redistricting process for Ohio’s US congressional seats as well.

More: Ohio Becomes Latest State To Vote Down Gerrymandering

Thank you, Ohio! I hope all other heavily and unfairly gerrymandered states will follow your lead. Gerrymandering is a blight on democracy - regardless of which party is doing it.

Last edited:
On November 3, Ohio voters approved by a margin of 71% to 29% a constitutional amendment that will greatly reduce, or even eliminate, the gerrymandering of state legislative districts beginning in 2021.

Ratification of Issue 1 by the voters followed its approval by bipartisan votes of 28-1 in the Ohio State Senate and 81-7 in the Ohio House of Representatives.

The overwhelming success of this reform should encourage similar efforts in other states that have been badly gerrymandered, such as Virginia, Pennsylvania, Maryland, North Carolina, Michigan and Wisconsin.

In Ohio, attention now turns to reforms that would establish a fair redistricting process for Ohio’s US congressional seats as well.

Thank you, Ohio! I hope all other heavily and unfairly gerrymandered states will follow your lead. Gerrymandering is a blight on democracy - regardless of which party is doing it.

Good. Let's get your guys out of there.

You don't even know that you have the biggest and the baddest gerrymandered district FUCKING FOREVER?

lolololololololo

This is too fucking funny.

images

They are talking about this on NPR today. The rich national GOP are spending millions on local races. So for starters, we have to take $ out of our politics. Then the GOP redrew districts so that even though more Ohioians voted Democratic, somehow still Republicans sent more GOP House Reps to Washington and have more GOP state lawmakers.

This is the doing of ALEC, the Koch's and other rich politicians who like to play politics and the GOP. It's brilliant but must be stopped. And don't think this is just Ohio and Pennsylvania. I'm sure this very thing has happened in my home state of Michigan. That's why we voted for Obama but have a GOP Governor and both state houses are controlled by Republicans. It's how we got lead poisoning.

With 16 governorship left, the Democrats better figure out a way to win at a state level. Districting is the least of their problems.

Are you saying that only Republicans use gerrymandering for their advantage?

With 16 governorship left, the Democrats better figure out a way to win at a state level. Districting is the least of their problems.

Are you saying that only Republicans use gerrymandering for their advantage?
Republicans were so bad and obvious that Ohio had to pass an amendment to fix what they did.

Ohio Bipartisan Redistricting Commission Amendment, Issue 1 (2015) - Ballotpedia

If you can show me Democrats did this in the past, I'd be interested in seeing that. I recall Bush and the GOP redistricted in 2005 and USUALLY it's only done every 10 years. But the GOP mysteriously did it in 2005. Interesting huh?

Hard to find the facts on this when I do a quick search but I'll find it later. This is all I found

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/14/opinion/redistricting-tom-delay.html?_r=0

If you can show me Democrats did this in the past, I'd be interested in seeing that.

See Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts. Dems were also gerrymandering North Carolina until they lost control of the legislature in 2010.

Redistricting shouldn't be in the hands of the states legislatures no matter who is in the majority at the time the census is taken, and the task of redrawing those congressional lines should be done by nonpartisan, independent commissions.

If you can show me Democrats did this in the past, I'd be interested in seeing that.

This is Maryland's 3rd district:

imrs.php

This is Maryland's 4th district:

md04-map.png

Below is Maryland's 1st District, my one time home. Now, you'll probably think that it's not that bad. But take a closer look. You see how it reaches all the way to the norther most of the state, then reaches far west, and contains a carefully laid squiggly line into Baltimore County? Yeah, that was done to deny us actual representation, and to isolate as many Republicans as possible into one district. The Democrats know they just have to settle for the 1st being a GOP district. But they can make damn sure that the Eastern Shore doesn't have a real voice. We get stuck with a Baltimore crony who lives right in the tip of that squiggly line into Baltimore.

marylands-1st-congressional-district.png

Maryland's 2nd district:

CD2.jpg

Mayland's 7th district:

lossless-page1-400px-Maryland_US_Congressional_District_7_(since_2013).tif.png

Maryland's 8th district:

MD-8.jpg

Go ahead and say something else stupid.

Forum List

Back