Oil: The Bogeyman

Big Blue Machin said:
I hope now people will stop buying SUVs and start buying free evergy efficent cars. I think the government should give tax credits to transit riders in big cities.

cool--free energy efficient cars!-------I'd even buy one if they could price em right!

dilloduck said:
cool--free energy efficient cars!-------I'd even buy one if they could price em right!
there was an interesting show on one of the cable channels (Times/Discovery I believe) that looked at these cars and they determined that a family cannot save enough using one of these cars to justify their use. Furthermore, since most Americans drive on the highways, the cars will not contribute all that much to a better environment because the hybrids run on gas once you get above a certain speed. They also covered how the cars are not useful in many of the places they are needed most - where we have the worst air pollution. In places like Denver, the elevation works against the hybrids, in Las Vegas, the low humidity is murder on batteries and therefore, the batteries in the hybrids would have to be replaced often and in SoCal, the terrain is hard on the vehicles (a lot of driving up and down hills) and the highways are so vast and congested that you might run out of power trying to get from point "A" to point "B" while sitting in traffic. And, as mentioned, when traffic is running smoothly, the cars would be running on gas anyway due to the speeds at which EVERYBODY travels in SoCal.

The cars are all hype. My wife and I looked at buying the new Lexus Hybrid, but the salesman whispered, "don't tell my boss, but they aren't worth the price and the hassle. They spend way too much time in the shop."

I read a while back that we have used up 50% of the world's crude oil. Thank you, I will die before we run out of it. We have at least 75 more years of crude oil in the Alberta tar sands. But I think we have to move to other sources of energy, like solar and wind. But in reality this is unlikely because the companies don't want to spend the money to develop the technology and the government's "no getting involved in business" policy.

Big Blue Machin said:
I read a while back that we have used up 50% of the world's crude oil. Thank you, I will die before we run out of it. We have at least 75 more years of crude oil in the Alberta tar sands. But I think we have to move to other sources of energy, like solar and wind. But in reality this is unlikely because the companies don't want to spend the money to develop the technology and the government's "no getting involved in business" policy.
First off, in the early 70's we were all told we would run out of oil and most natural resources by the year 2000. Didn't happen.

Secondly, if you think business will not develop alternative sources of energy eventually, you are listening to much to your liberal friends and the liberal media. Business is business and when it becomes 1) economically viable and 2) an economic necessity to survive, alternate sources will be developed and will come into use. Do you really think business will sit by and just use oil until there is nothing and then say, okay, we're done. We will now close our businesses.... Nope, not likely. Have faith and believe in our system. It hasn't let us down yet and it is not likely to start letting us down now just because the liberals hope so.

Big Blue Machin said:
Businesses only care for short term profits and screw the end result. They will try to change at the last minute.
lol

And they will succeed or they will fail which will mean they will miss their short term profits. Get it? Or is that too hard to grasp?

Have you ever dealt with technology companies? I have and I do a lot. You would be surprised how much money is spent on R&D to achieve "short term profits". You crack me up.

freeandfun1 said:
there was an interesting show on one of the cable channels (Times/Discovery I believe) that looked at these cars and they determined that a family cannot save enough using one of these cars to justify their use. Furthermore, since most Americans drive on the highways, the cars will not contribute all that much to a better environment because the hybrids run on gas once you get above a certain speed. They also covered how the cars are not useful in many of the places they are needed most - where we have the worst air pollution. In places like Denver, the elevation works against the hybrids, in Las Vegas, the low humidity is murder on batteries and therefore, the batteries in the hybrids would have to be replaced often and in SoCal, the terrain is hard on the vehicles (a lot of driving up and down hills) and the highways are so vast and congested that you might run out of power trying to get from point "A" to point "B" while sitting in traffic. And, as mentioned, when traffic is running smoothly, the cars would be running on gas anyway due to the speeds at which EVERYBODY travels in SoCal.

The cars are all hype. My wife and I looked at buying the new Lexus Hybrid, but the salesman whispered, "don't tell my boss, but they aren't worth the price and the hassle. They spend way too much time in the shop."

Excellent points, free. I've been told by mechanics that hybrids are a nightmare (read expen$ive) to fix.

Big Blue Machin said:
I hope now people will stop buying SUVs and start buying free evergy efficent cars. I think the government should give tax credits to transit riders in big cities.

Tax credits for riding a bus? Yuk. Yuk.

People already have the choice to use busses instead of driving expensive vehilces they pay for, for which they pay various and expensive taxes and fees on them, for which they pay expensive upkeep, for which they pay expensive parking fees, etc., etc. And you think they'll give up all *that* for a little bitty tax credit? :laugh:

The regular transit riders don't use their own car, and therefore less gas and pollution. Therefore they should be rewarded with a little tax credit. The people who drive their cars to work should pay the price of having a car.

ScreamingEagle, I don't see you making any suggestions?

Big Blue Machin said:
The regular transit riders don't use their own car, and therefore less gas and pollution. Therefore they should be rewarded with a little tax credit. The people who drive their cars to work should pay the price of having a car.

My suggestion is that we invade Canada and take their oil.

Big Blue Machin said:

Why? I like SUVs. :tank:

FreeandFun, that's a GREAT idea :bsflag: ,

I admire your idea for America :salute:

Why don't you just invade every other country in the world too? :tank:

Make it easier :firing:

George W. Bush, President of the World! :bow2:

Big Blue Machin said:
FreeandFun, that's a GREAT idea :bsflag: ,

I admire your idea for America :salute:

Why don't you just invade every other country in the world too? :tank:

Make it easier :firing:

George W. Bush, President of the World! :bow2:
YOu have absolutely no sense of humor.

MtnBiker said:
They do, every gallon of gas has a state and federal tax included in the price.

Exactly! I've given out too much rep, but I'll return to this.

Forum List

Back