Olivia de Havilland, Oscar-winning actress, dies at 104

boedicca

Uppity Water Nymph from the Land of Funk
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 12, 2007
A perennial favorite of Death Pool bettors, Olivia de Havilland has passed away at the age of 104. She outlived her sister, Joan Fontaine - which was a big motivator in her longevity (according to rumors).

Olivia de Havilland, the last surviving star of "Gone with the Wind," has died.

The actress played Melanie Hamilton Wilkes, who squared off with Scarlett O'Hara to gain the affection of Ashley Wilkes, played by Leslie Howard.

She had a great run. 104. She was never going to live forever. This has been a terrible week for celebrities.

It hasn't been such a great week, or year, for most of us....

I can't believe it.
How did she die?

Fell off her bike

1595782326108.png

(she was 103 in that picture)

actually, just passed in her sleep.

Ahh damn!
We knew this would be coming soon, but I hate it.
It has really been cool to say that a person who was an adult in GONE WITH THE WIND was still alive!

RIP Olivia !!

One of the great Golden Age of Hollywood Actresses.

More than Gone with the Wind, she was in Robin Hood, Captain Blood, Snake Pit.

Not a great beauty but a compelling actress

O livia de Havilland established herself for ever in the film world’s collective memory at the age of 22, as the wise, gentle and beautiful Melanie Hamilton in the colossal epic Gone With the Wind. The film appeared in 1939 as war was breaking out in Europe: the mighty theme of old orders being swept away was especially potent. De Havilland was an exemplar of radiant womanly calmness, a polar opposite to the capricious sexiness of Vivien Leigh’s bewitching belle Scarlett O’Hara. The role probably encumbered her with something stately and reserved, which she never entirely lost – though with a hint of mystery and suppressed emotional tumult, on screen and off. Because, however sedate her image, De Havilland was the subject of two of the juiciest scandals of Hollywood’s golden age: her relationship with longtime co-star Errol Flynn, and her lifelong feud with her sister and rival Joan Fontaine.

I can't believe she lived till 104.

I liked Olivia's performance in "Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte", and "Lady in a Cage", but frankly thought that her portrayal of Melanie in "GWTW" was overacting, and not believable. Dinah Shore did a parody of her in a skit on the Carol Burnett Show, when she told Melonie that the punch wasn't sweet enough, and Dinah obligingly put her head in the punch bowl to sweeten it. But, I wasn't a fan of GWTW anyway, and thought that Vivian Lee was miscast, too. While watching it, I could not understand how any man could be attracted to such a bitch.

Gone with the wind actress dead at 104.

Forum List

Back