Omg! It's a habob!!!

Howey

Gold Member
Mar 4, 2013
Read and laugh as narrow-minded, bigoted Texans (is that an oxymoron?) freak out over a meteorologists proper use of a middle eastern term describing a dust storm.

Ia9rCwA.png

5SL4lO4.png

z9tTdAt.png

OTEh5fV.png

3jFFU9d.png

A haboob refers specifically to a wall of dust created by cool, dense air blowing away from a thunderstorm or along a cold front, said meteorologist Jerome James.

But it signaled something even more threatening to some of the station’s Facebook fans.

“Never had a haboob until we got that muslim boob for potus,” said viewer Jeff Bertrand, referring to President Barack Obama, who is believed by some of this critics to secretly be a Muslim.

Meteorologists have used the word “haboob” since at least the 1950s, James said.

He said dry conditions in Texas had made the phenomenon, with its distinctive brown skies, more common in recent years.

The English language uses many words with Arabic origins, including cotton, algebra, candy, lemon, alcohol, and sofa.

Good God, people. The normal world would take you more seriously if you weren't such unabashed nutcases.

This is hysterical but also really quite sad.

You still see certain folks her refer to rag heads and towel heads as being our enemies even though they're actually talking about Sikhs.

But hey, haterz gotta hate.

Wish the damn traitors would move to Russia where they'd be so much happier under Putin's iron fist.

Actually, it makes perfect sense to stick with terminology that people of the area are accustomed to.

I remember when we commonly used to use the term "tidal wave", but for many years now we have been using the term "tsunami".

No big deal, but "dust storm" is readily descriptive where as "haboob" is not. If I were the residents, I too would wonder why they want to change a term that everyone is quite used to.

It's not surprising however that asshole liberals would make a big deal about anyone who DARES complain. Complaining is generally reserved for liberals who are usually the ones quick to piss and moan when they don't get their way, and demand that everyone else comply to their rules and way of thinking.

Actually, it makes perfect sense to stick with terminology that people of the area are accustomed to.

I remember when we commonly used to use the term "tidal wave", but for many years now we have been using the term "tsunami".

No big deal, but "dust storm" is readily descriptive where as "haboob" is not. If I were the residents, I too would wonder why they want to change a term that everyone is quite used to.

It's not surprising however that asshole liberals would make a big deal about anyone who DARES complain. Complaining is generally reserved for liberals who are usually the ones quick to piss and moan when they don't get their way, and demand that everyone else comply to their rules and way of thinking.

To me its like calling a Hurricane a Cyclone, the only difference between them is where the event occurs.

CaféAuLait;8791304 said:

To me its like calling a Hurricane a Cyclone, the only difference between them is where the event occurs.

Well and that's the point, if the folks in a region are most familiar with one term, why switch it on them ? As long as the term is accurate of course.

Read and laugh as narrow-minded, bigoted Texans (is that an oxymoron?) freak out over a meteorologists proper use of a middle eastern term describing a dust storm.

Ia9rCwA.png

5SL4lO4.png

z9tTdAt.png

OTEh5fV.png

3jFFU9d.png

A haboob refers specifically to a wall of dust created by cool, dense air blowing away from a thunderstorm or along a cold front, said meteorologist Jerome James.

But it signaled something even more threatening to some of the station’s Facebook fans.

“Never had a haboob until we got that muslim boob for potus,” said viewer Jeff Bertrand, referring to President Barack Obama, who is believed by some of this critics to secretly be a Muslim.

Meteorologists have used the word “haboob” since at least the 1950s, James said.

He said dry conditions in Texas had made the phenomenon, with its distinctive brown skies, more common in recent years.

The English language uses many words with Arabic origins, including cotton, algebra, candy, lemon, alcohol, and sofa.

Good God, people. The normal world would take you more seriously if you weren't such unabashed nutcases.

a rather insignificant piece of non-news. that it bothers you so says more about your intolerance of certain people in America than you want to admit

YAWN

THE LEFT-WING LOSERS on these boards hate people who arent on the far Left as they are; with a zelousness right-wing texans cant match

idiots and hypocrites

Same diference as calling a faggot a fairy. Just what you prefer to call homo's

fucking weather people here call dust storms haboobs all the time, when i first heard it several years ago i had to look it up.

personally i despise the term, haboob :up:

Why did the man not feel an obligation to speak English in Texas? This was an appropriate response to forced multiculturalism and an indication that muslims and middle eastern languages are unacceptable. Texans won't be force fed, not so much as a morsel. It is offensive and this meteorologist should understand that if he wants to keep his job.

Y
THE LEFT-WING LOSERS on these boards hate people who arent on the far Left as they are; with a zelousness right-wing texans cant match

idiots and hypocrites

Every time I pass a TeaBagger on the street I wave my hand and yell "Hey Boob!"

Y

idiots and hypocrites

um; ok leftard; but the Tea Party isnt the reason your community organizer is a failure; your Progressive agenda is a failure

idiots and hypocrites

Fuck you - go join another board.

... And learn how to spell.

I think It's funny, but I understand calling it a dust storm. I think dust storm will be hard to supplant.

CaféAuLait;8791304 said:

Well and that's the point, if the folks in a region are most familiar with one term, why switch it on them ? As long as the term is accurate of course.

That's what I always said about "Celsius".

Haboob isn't a new term though. If the Islamophobes want linguistic purity they're gonna have to come up with new terms for alcohol, algebra, cotton and coffee, among a lot of others, not to mention ever getting paid by check again....

Last edited:
Y

idiots and hypocrites

um; ok leftard; but the Tea Party isnt the reason your community organizer is a failure; your Progressive agenda is a failure

au contraire, Sweetlips.

If you idiots hadn't voted those uneducated idiot teabaggers in 2010, Congress could have been able to pass some serious legislation to help the country.

Boob.

idiots and hypocrites

Coming from a model of bipartisanship such as yourself, this post really has strength. :lol:

Why did the man not feel an obligation to speak English in Texas? This was an appropriate response to forced multiculturalism and an indication that muslims and middle eastern languages are unacceptable. Texans won't be force fed, not so much as a morsel. It is offensive and this meteorologist should understand that if he wants to keep his job.

Having lived for more than 30 years along the Sabine entity in East Texas and west LA, I really don't give a fuck what anyone lib or con has to say about what to call a dust storm in that area. The local yokels will tell you what they want it called. The rest of you can step off now.

Last edited:
Why did the man not feel an obligation to speak English in Texas?

Is that what they speak in Texas? :doubt:

If the word is not commonly used in Texas ( which I have no clue if it is or not) the weather forecaster should use a word which those listening are familiar with, if for no other reason to assure his warning was understood.

The American Meteorological Society's Glossary of Meteorology defines a haboob as a strong wind and sandstorm in Sudan. Not Texas or anywhere in the US.

Haboob - AMS Glossary

Forum List

Back