On the lighter side... Ohio House speaker cuts off opening prayer

my2¢

So it goes
May 14, 2010
When checking out the Plain Dealer for latest escapades of "Billy" Manziel earlier this week I came across article about the Ohio House opening up their daily session with a prayer that seemed everlasting. After 4 or 5 minutes the speaker is seen squirming and finally finds a way to cut off the preacher. I won't post full video but here is how it ends, the complaint after the pledge that it was a sermon was right-on.

If you were the speaker what would you have done? Seems to me 2 minutes is enough. For future Ohio should install one of those beepers they have at the debates when a candidate's time runs out.

If you were the speaker what would you have done? Seems to me 2 minutes is enough.

2 minutes is exactly 2 minutes too much. Cut the pretentious bullshit and get on with the state business already.

Don't you just love it when you ask someone what time it is and they tell you how to build a watch.

If you were the speaker what would you have done? Seems to me 2 minutes is enough.

2 minutes is exactly 2 minutes too much. Cut the pretentious bullshit and get on with the state business already.
Once again, advocating for anti-religious freedom. That's a violation of the Constitution.

The Ohio State House --- or any state government assembly---- or any government assembly on any level ---- is not a religious operation.

Unless of course you live in a theocracy.

Go ahead.... prove me wrong.

Maybe the Big Guy is more likely to answer prayers if they contain more words?

:dunno:

Once again, advocating for anti-religious freedom. That's a violation of the Constitution.

The Ohio State House --- or any state government assembly---- or any government assembly on any level ---- is not a religious operation.

You can't deny the expression of religious beliefs in a place of the people. It's protected by the constituion.

You can't deny the expression of religious beliefs in a place of the people. It's protected by the constituion.

You failed.

You failed.
Maybe in your unconstitutional fantasy land.

When checking out the Plain Dealer for latest escapades of "Billy" Manziel earlier this week I came across article about the Ohio House opening up their daily session with a prayer that seemed everlasting. After 4 or 5 minutes the speaker is seen squirming and finally finds a way to cut off the preacher. I won't post full video but here is how it ends, the complaint after the pledge that it was a sermon was right-on.

If you were the speaker what would you have done? Seems to me 2 minutes is enough. For future Ohio should install one of those beepers they have at the debates when a candidate's time runs out.

I guess the Speaker was in a hurry to spend the taxpayers money.

You failed.

Care to try again?

Show us where in your constituion religion is state business.

That IS what that body is there for.

I guess the Speaker was in a hurry to spend the taxpayers money.

Might have been in a hurry to save it.
Non sequitur.

You failed.

Care to try again?

No you show us where in the Constitution one is barred from opening a session on a prayer.

You failed.

Care to try again?

No you show us where in the Constitution one is barred from opening a session on a prayer.

Nope. My question came first. And I already know it has no answer.

There isn't any question of anything "barred". It's a question of what the assembly's business is. And that would be the affairs of the state. Not the affairs of the church.

4-5 minutes seems generous all right. It probably could have been handled better by rehearsing prior to the actual prayer and pre-approving what the extent of the prayer beforehand.

In 1649 Congress paid for and printed 100,000 copies of the Bible and distributed them to civilians of the day. This was done because this country was founded on a belief in God and Congress knew without faith, freedom and liberty isn't likely. The Puritans, who escaped European tyrany rule because of their Christain beliefs, wanted to ensure their lives in this new land would incorporate God's blessing and that must be focused on Godly living.

Once again, exhibiting ignorance of the law and propagating a lie – no one is seeking to deny anyone his religious freedom, and advocating that a legislative body not begin a session with a prayer is not 'un-Constitutional.'

Wrong.

No one's religious liberty is being 'denied' when government seeks to not engage in government speech, or in this case religious expression (see Walker v. Texas Division, Sons of Confederate Veterans).

You failed.

Care to try again?

Also wrong.

No one ever said it was 'banned'; indeed, religious invocations by legislative bodies is perfectly Constitutional.

But that's not what was stated.

What was stated is that government should of its own accord decide to not engage in religious speech, where such a decision in no way 'violates' anyone's religious liberty.

Forum List

Back