Shenandoah County (Virginia) School Board votes to restore the Confederate memorial names of schools ...

I live in the same region. Do you think Lee Mansion which overlooks Arlington Cemetery was done to keep Blacks in their place?

Arlington is not in the Shenandoah Valley.

To designate a mansion formerly owned by Lee and his wife is not offensive.

But Lee never attended that school, did he?

I live in the same region. Do you think Lee Mansion which overlooks Arlington Cemetery was done to keep Blacks in their place?

The most explicit acts to literally keep Blacks in their place I have seen in my life are enlightened Democrats in the Northeast in the 1970s fighting tooth and nail to keep Blacks out of their schools; including, an up and coming US Senator from Delaware ranting at the notion of his kids going to schools with Blacks as “a racial jungle”.

I’d rather my brown kids go to school named after a dead person whose views I don’t agree with vs. going to school in communities that secretly long for racial segregation.
Yes that was way worse than slavery and Jim Crow.

The most explicit acts to literally keep Blacks in their place I have seen in my life are enlightened Democrats in the Northeast in the 1970s fighting tooth and nail to keep Blacks out of their schools; including, an up and coming US Senator from Delaware ranting at the notion of his kids going to schools with Blacks as “a racial jungle”.

I’d rather my brown kids go to school named after a dead person whose views I don’t agree with vs. going to school in communities that secretly long for racial segregation.
The problem was that in the 1970's EVERYONE was against busing, not just the white folks. Black folks were against it as well, because they didn't want their kids bused to strange neighborhoods.

It's why busing pretty much ending by the 1980's. School districts couldn't afford it and no one wanted to participate.

What hilarious revisionist history. For one the national guard didn't have to be called in to integrate schools in the North. Secondly, busing was unpopular with black voters as well who wanted and still want better schools in their own communities, and thirdly it was almost the entire former Confederate South, including Republican representatives in the South, who voted against the Civil Rights and voting rights acts of 64' and 65'. :laugh:

The Shenandoah School Board sent a message

They are still deeply racist and do not care for the opinions of its black residents.

The area is still rich in Civil War heritage and that deserves to be noted. But to celebrate those who fought to enforce slavery is poor judgement

Yes that was way worse than slavery and Jim Crow.
Definitely just as bad.

What hilarious revisionist history. For one the national guard didn't have to be called in to integrate schools in the North. Secondly, busing was unpopular with black voters as well who wanted and still want better schools in their own communities, and thirdly it was almost the entire former Confederate South, including Republican representatives in the n South, who voted against the Civil Rights and voting rights acts of 64' and 65'. :laugh:
There is no revisionist history. The North was supposed to be enlightened and not prejudiced. You might want to delve further into voting against Civil Rights from the late 30s through the lat 50s….. it was your very own Democrat Party; including, JFK himself. Why was it OK for JFK to vote against Civil Rights but not Barry Goldwater?

There is no revisionist history. The North was supposed to be enlightened and not prejudiced. You might want to delve further into voting against Civil Rights from the late 30s through the lat 50s….. it was your very own Democrat Party; including, JFK himself. Why was it OK for JFK to vote against Civil Rights but not Barry Goldwater?
because by 1964, everyone should have known better.

The problem was that in the 1970's EVERYONE was against busing, not just the white folks. Black folks were against it as well, because they didn't want their kids bused to strange neighborhoods.

It's why busing pretty much ending by the 1980's. School districts couldn't afford it and no one wanted to participate.
Busing - actually, Reverse Busing, is on the rise. Just outside of Washington DC there are wealthy, elite, social engineers that want to bus upper middle class students into poorer neighborhoods and bus low income students into wealthier neighborhood schools (of course, the social engineers don’t want their kids bused out so they exempt their own schools).

It is one thing for families not to want to have their kids bused out of neighborhoods regardless of income status as it represents forced inconvenience and logistics issues. It’s another to be ranting and raving that it will be a “racial jungle.”

because by 1964, everyone should have known better.
Bullshit. You aren’t asking why and how 7 short years prior a Northern Democrat was joining hands with Southern Democrats to vote against Civil Rights.

What they found enlightening was not moral clarity as much as it was getting votes.

Busing - actually, Reverse Busing, is on the rise. Just outside of Washington DC there are wealthy, elite, social engineers that want to bus upper middle class students into poorer neighborhoods and bus low income students into wealthier neighborhood schools (of course, the social engineers don’t want their kids bused out so they exempt their own schools).

It is one thing for families not to want to have their kids bused out of neighborhoods regardless of income status as it represents forced inconvenience and logistics issues. It’s another to be ranting and raving that it will be a “racial jungle.”
Actually, Biden was correct in realizing busing a few kids wasn't a solution bad schools.

Good on him.

There is no revisionist history. The North was supposed to be enlightened and not prejudiced.
Who supposes that? Maybe that's just your insecurity talking. :dunno:
You might want to delve further into voting against Civil Rights from the late 30s through the lat 50s….. it was your very own Democrat Party; including, JFK himself. Why was it OK for JFK to vote against Civil Rights but not Barry Goldwater?
Who are talking about? Where have you seen me give JFK a pass for anything? Why do you assume I have any love for white people in general in the 60s. It was a pretty deplorable fucking culture all around. :dunno:

Are they? I'm sure the white folks are. Everyone else, not so much.

What didn't happen- the bloodbath of white folks that everyone said was going to happen.
Not even the white folks. I saw plenty of white people in South Africa who were doing just fine. :laugh: These fucking people have never been away from their trailer parks.

Are they? I'm sure the white folks are. Everyone else, not so much.

What didn't happen- the bloodbath of white folks that everyone said was going to happen.

Your opinion seems to be born of ignorance.

Who supposes that? Maybe that's just your insecurity talking. :dunno:

Who are talking about? Where have you seen me give JFK a pass for anything? Why do you assume I have any love for white people in general in the 60s. It was a pretty deplorable fucking culture all around. :dunno:
So for you to call an entire culture “deplorable” is OK but for a white person to disagree with a black person on policy is racist?

So for you to call an entire culture “deplorable” is OK but for a white person to disagree with a black person on policy is racist?
They're called opinions you fucking moron, you're free to have one as well. It's not my fault you care if everyone thinks you're a racist piece of shit. :dunno:

Be mentally and emotionally tougher.

Racism was and is ALL over America

he went out of his way to call it “a racial jungle”.
Out of his way? Really?

In 1977, Biden advocated achieving racial integration through affordable housing rather than busing, The New York Times found in an analysis “of thousands of documents” from that period. It also led him to join with segregationist senators such as Jesse Helms to oppose U.S. Department of Education funding for busing.
Biden sought an "orderly integration of society," not just integration in schools, the records show. He feared busing would anger white people whose children would be sent to “inferior” schools in urban neighborhoods and from black people, whose children would come to resent conditions in the “ghetto,” the Times reported.

Forum List

Back