Politico: School Choice Has Allowed Parents to Choose Good Schools in Florida, and Now the Bad Government Schools Are Closing, and That's... Bad

In all honesty, what are the odds that a poor student would need a gifted program? I have always held that poor students make for very poor students!

Most gifted programs suck and are a waste of money. If your local school system does not have a gifted program, it is up to the voters in your area that will elect school boards to hire people who will get it done. Most of the issues in education are enabled by complacency of the parents in getting exactly what they voted for.

Well if they are gifted they will remain poor if not stimulated.

Or the voters can vote for vouchers and try it that way.

That's it, blame the parents like every other Teacher Union apparatchik.

The problem is mostly in the blue zones, I live in the blue zones, it's my problem.

Florida is just getting ahead of the curve, and the issues there are in Florida's blue zones.

Pensions are going the way of the Dodo except for government jobs. I'm fine with my 401k because the money is mine, and I started it the second I started working.
Vote with your feet if it is that important to you. I always love hearing people complain about their schools and neighborhoods when they are the ones that chose to live there. I had a daughter two months after I got commissioned in the Navy. I lived in Rhode Island, South Carolina, and Alabama. Then my kids started school in Florida. I researched the schools in every area we intended to live and turned down several neighborhoods because of the schools. When I was transferred to Virginia, I chose an area with a 25-mile commute because they had the best schools in the area. We moved back to Florida and I did the same thing. My youngest daughter attended the same school I did when we moved to Kentucky, and then we chose our permanent house, it was based on good schools. By now, my grandsons were with me and attended schools in the district where I taught for a year.

Most people are just too f-ing lazy to put in the time and effort to check out the schools. That is the problem. Don't like the school? Don't move there! Can't move? Keep bitching until they get fixed.

Vote with your feet if it is that important to you. I always love hearing people complain about their schools and neighborhoods when they are the ones that chose to live there. I had a daughter two months after I got commissioned in the Navy. I lived in Rhode Island, South Carolina, and Alabama. Then my kids started school in Florida. I researched the schools in every area we intended to live and turned down several neighborhoods because of the schools. When I was transferred to Virginia, I chose an area with a 25-mile commute because they had the best schools in the area. We moved back to Florida and I did the same thing. My youngest daughter attended the same school I did when we moved to Kentucky, and then we chose our permanent house, it was based on good schools. By now, my grandsons were with me and attended schools in the district where I taught for a year.

Most people are just too f-ing lazy to put in the time and effort to check out the schools. That is the problem. Don't like the school? Don't move there! Can't move? Keep bitching until they get fixed.

Why leave when it's something the government is supposed to do for us as a basic service?

Lots of talk about you, and not talk about why people are having issues with the current model of public schooling via bureaucratic juggernauts.

Well if they are gifted they will remain poor if not stimulated.

Or the voters can vote for vouchers and try it that way.

That's it, blame the parents like every other Teacher Union apparatchik.
Bullshit! I was considered gifted in school. My Dad was a factory worker and my Mom stayed home. My brother and I went to our local schools. I graduated in the top 30 of a 600 student HS class. I joined the Navy, went to college, had a career as an officer, left the Navy and became a teacher. I have a BA and a Master's degree. I did not suffer because I had no gifted program.

WTF do teachers unions have to do with the topic? They don't set curriculum or instruction in red states. That is just your standard excuse as per usual. If it's an education problem, it's the unions! You do not realize how little power unions actually have.

You should have moved.

Why leave when it's something the government is supposed to do for us as a basic service?

Lots of talk about you, and not talk about why people are having issues with the current model of public schooling via bureaucratic juggernauts.
Fix your government or leave. Your choice! If everyone does nothing, nothing gets done. What do you consider a basic service? Gifted programs are not,

What issues? When I was a teacher, our biggest problem was parents not holding students accountable for their behavior. I spent two years as an assistant principal, and student discipline took up at least 90% of my day.

Education and other public services like fire, police and trash are very very different things.

They don't want to send the money to another district, they want to send it to somewhere that will teach their children and not make excuses, or indoctrinate them, or ignore them and let their kids bind their breasts or tuck in their balls.
Wow! You are the Master of bloviating! This transgender BS is all in the media because it pisses people off, and everyone takes their broad brush and paints every school as morally bankrupt because of a few schools that are elevated to celebrity status by the media. I love this so-called indoctrination that is supposedly taking place in every school in America except the 99.9% of schools in flyover country where it is not!

My taxes have NEVER paid for trash collection, and I have lived in states all over the eastern US. Where are these places?

When I lived in Kentucky, my fire protection was by subscription that I paid out of pocket! No subscription? You paid for them to put out your house!

Other people have different experiences obviously. Put away that broad brush I talked about before.

Bullshit! I was considered gifted in school. My Dad was a factory worker and my Mom stayed home. My brother and I went to our local schools. I graduated in the top 30 of a 600 student HS class. I joined the Navy, went to college, had a career as an officer, left the Navy and became a teacher. I have a BA and a Master's degree. I did not suffer because I had no gifted program.

WTF do teachers unions have to do with the topic? They don't set curriculum or instruction in red states. That is just your standard excuse as per usual. If it's an education problem, it's the unions! You do not realize how little power unions actually have.

You should have moved.

All you see is your own experience, and then you just dismiss others. That's hubris at best, narcissism at worst.

They set the funding, they sure as hell influence the curriculum, and they set the rules that aid schools in poorer areas sucking.

Fix your government or leave. Your choice! If everyone does nothing, nothing gets done. What do you consider a basic service? Gifted programs are not,

What issues? When I was a teacher, our biggest problem was parents not holding students accountable for their behavior. I spent two years as an assistant principal, and student discipline took up at least 90% of my day.

Again "you you you you you"

Yep, narcissist.

Wow! You are the Master of bloviating! This transgender BS is all in the media because it pisses people off, and everyone takes their broad brush and paints every school as morally bankrupt because of a few schools that are elevated to celebrity status by the media. I love this so-called indoctrination that is supposedly taking place in every school in America except the 99.9% of schools in flyover country where it is not!

My taxes have NEVER paid for trash collection, and I have lived in states all over the eastern US. Where are these places?

When I lived in Kentucky, my fire protection was by subscription that I paid out of pocket! No subscription? You paid for them to put out your house!

Other people have different experiences obviously. Put away that broad brush I talked about before.

it pisses people off because it is happening, you can dismiss it like the SJW shills on this board if you like, but it doesn't mean it isn't happening.

More "Only the Adduhmiral's experience counts"

Narcissist.

All you see is your own experience, and then you just dismiss others. That's hubris at best, narcissism at worst.

They set the funding, they sure as hell influence the curriculum, and they set the rules that aid schools in poorer areas sucking.
How many years teaching experience do you have? Have you been a school administrator? How many schools have you taught at? How many unions did you participate in?

How many years teaching experience do you have? Have you been a school administrator? How many schools have you taught at? How many unions did you participate in?

That doesn't matter when you are talking policy. Appeals to authority over the technical aspect of things is like saying only firemen can be in favor of fires being fought.

Bad cuz we can’tz indoktrnatz dem wit kommie blather to make dem mindless sheeples like we successfully did wit todays kollege Kidz.

Gov. Ron DeSantis and Florida Republicans have spent years aggressively turning the state into a haven for school choice. They have been wildly successful, with tens of thousands more children enrolling in private or charter schools or homeschooling.
Now as those programs balloon, some of Florida's largest school districts are facing staggering enrollment declines -- and grappling with the possibility of campus closures -- as dollars follow the increasing number of parents opting out of traditional public schools.

The emphasis on these programs has been central to DeSantis' goals of remaking the Florida education system, and they are poised for another year of growth. DeSantis' school policies are already influencing other GOP-leaning states, many of which have pursued similar voucher programs. But Florida has served as a conservative laboratory for a suite of other policies, ranging from attacking public- and private-sector diversity programs to fighting the Biden administration on immigration.

"We need some big changes throughout the country," DeSantis said Thursday evening at the Florida Homeschool Convention in Kissimmee. "Florida has shown a blueprint, and we really can be an engine for that as other states work to adopt a lot of the policies that we've done."

Education officials in some of the state's largest counties are looking to scale back costs by repurposing or outright closing campuses -- including in Broward, Duval and Miami-Dade counties. Even as some communities rally to try to save their local public schools, traditional public schools are left with empty seats and budget crunches.

Since 2019-20, when the pandemic upended education, some 53,000 students have left traditional public schools in these counties, a sizable total that is forcing school leaders to consider closing campuses that have been entrenched in local communities for years.

In Broward County, Florida's second-largest school district, officials have floated plans to close up to 42 campuses over the next few years, moves that would have a ripple effect across Fort Lauderdale and Hollywood.

The district has lost more than 20,000 students over the last five years, a decline that comes as charter schools in particular experienced sizable growth in the area. Enrollment in charters, which are public schools operating under performance contracts freeing them of many state regulations, increased by nearly 27,000 students since 2010, according to Broward school officials.

Broward County Public Schools claims to have more than 49,000 classroom seats sitting empty this year, a number that "closely matches" the 49,833 students attending charter schools in the area, officials noted in an enrollment overview.

And HERE is the result :)

Yes, Florida Is No. 1 in the Country for Education. Here’s Why.

Gov. Ron DeSantis and his state are no stranger to controversy in the areas of education and the economy. But this is what the data shows.
By Tim Smart
May 7, 2024, at 12:01 a.m.

Forum List

Back