Opening day for the "national pass time" anybody care?

Looking forward to my grandsons first day in a new little league...

162 games for a season. You could start 0-50 and come back and make the playoffs in theory. I used to watch baseball during the season now and then but now it's just the NLCS and ALCS and the World Series. And only some of each of those. Same with basketball. 82 games, no time. NCAA March Madness is different, it's once a year and compressed into a couple weeks and most of the games are exciting and the crowds are invested. March Madness is great, and it sometimes gives us a school like Loyola that breaks every bracket. The NHL is also 82 games. I'll catch a few of the last playoff series and most of the Stanley Cup especially if the Penguins are in it but nothing else.

NFL is also different as there are only 16 games and nearly all of them matter.

I think all sports and really all entertainment is in a bit of a retreat because of the internet and the amount of entertainment available on cable or wireless tv. There are too many options for you not to find something you like. Back in the day it was 3 channels and sports were a big deal. Nowadays the choices are limitless. Same reason newspapers and magazines have waned, there is just a Mt Everest of content available now across the board.

Baseball. I discovered I can't sit still for an entire game. I absolutely can't sit through one on a television screen.

162 games for a season. You could start 0-50 and come back and make the playoffs in theory. I used to watch baseball during the season now and then but now it's just the NLCS and ALCS and the World Series. And only some of each of those. Same with basketball. 82 games, no time. NCAA March Madness is different, it's once a year and compressed into a couple weeks and most of the games are exciting and the crowds are invested. March Madness is great, and it sometimes gives us a school like Loyola that breaks every bracket. The NHL is also 82 games. I'll catch a few of the last playoff series and most of the Stanley Cup especially if the Penguins are in it but nothing else.

NFL is also different as there are only 16 games and nearly all of them matter.

I think all sports and really all entertainment is in a bit of a retreat because of the internet and the amount of entertainment available on cable or wireless tv. There are too many options for you not to find something you like. Back in the day it was 3 channels and sports were a big deal. Nowadays the choices are limitless. Same reason newspapers and magazines have waned, there is just a Mt Everest of content available now across the board.
But baseball is impacted by pitching staffs. Since you have to rotate your pitchers, 162 games is really more like 40 games of 4 pitchers. Since only 8 teams of 30 make the playoffs, every game is relevant and impactive. In NCAA basketball and NBA, the entire regular season is virtually pointless and the season's relevance is condensed into a post-season tournament. The regular season is wasted.

Forum List

Back