Oregon 20 yr old sues Dicks sporting goods for refusing to sell rifle

A 20-year-old is suing Dick’s Sporting Goods after being refused a Ruger .22 rifle purchase based on his age.
Oregon: 20-Year-Old Sues Dick's Sporting Goods for Refusing to Sell Rifle | Breitbart

LMFAO omg the irony of blow back when stores act like a.holes........ Please win kid we're rooting for you .

He'll never win. There might be a right to own a weapon, but there's no right for stores to sell anything. As long as they're not discriminating based on sex, race, sexual preference etc, there's nothing he can do.

Exactly. You can't force a store to sell something to you.

A 20-year-old is suing Dick’s Sporting Goods after being refused a Ruger .22 rifle purchase based on his age.
Oregon: 20-Year-Old Sues Dick's Sporting Goods for Refusing to Sell Rifle | Breitbart

LMFAO omg the irony of blow back when stores act like a.holes........ Please win kid we're rooting for you .

He'll never win. There might be a right to own a weapon, but there's no right for stores to sell anything. As long as they're not discriminating based on sex, race, sexual preference etc, there's nothing he can do.

I agree. He won’t win, but it does raise an interesting point. Why is it wrong to discriminate against customers on the basis of race, gender, or sexuality, but it’s OK to discriminate against a customer based on their age?

I agree. He won’t win, but it does raise an interesting point. Why is it wrong to discriminate against customers on the basis of race, gender, or sexuality, but it’s OK to discriminate against a customer based on their age?

Well, society has deemed that some people aren't old enough to do things.

Personally I think society needs to set an age for EVERYTHING, fighting in the military, drinking alcohol, smoking, having complete independence.

But the problem here is that stores can still prohibit people from buying stuff. As long as their prohibition is so general.

Exactly. You can't force a store to sell something to you.

Public accomodation laws? Age discrimination?

Lots of companies do age discrimination. You're never going to get rid of it.

For example insurance companies discriminate based on age all the time. Auto insurers will charge younger people more. For health it's the other way around.

If this kid were to win, the insurance industry would be in chaos, and the rich own the government, and the insurance industry is a part of this.

Be it he wins or not isn't the point they are being sued it COST THEMN MONEY,........money they don't have esp. if another few hundred decide to sue them with him, after etc.
and nobody can PREDICT if he WINS OR NOT......... a GOOD attorney could win anything.

Be it he wins or not isn't the point they are being sued it COST THEMN MONEY,........money they don't have esp. if another few hundred decide to sue them with him, after etc.
and nobody can PREDICT if he WINS OR NOT......... a GOOD attorney could win anything.

get a good old fashioned class action case going

--LOL

Should he win this can and will set a whole new precedent to " THE RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS"

Unfortunately, you're right. But hopefully the suit will result in negative publicity for Dick's.

Unfortunately, you're right. But hopefully the suit will result in negative publicity for Dick's.

well dicks has brought on a lot of negative publicity itself

just their stance makes about any red blooded American cringe

no pro 2nd guys will shop there after this

I would guess that it has to do with age being accepted as an indicator of responsibility/ability to consent in legal terms. Obviously that's more about people who are too young, but the fact that age is accepted in society (and, so far as I know, legally) as a measure of a person's ability to do things like enter into a contract, vote, drink, or consent to sex, and further considering the age at which that is allowed varies from state to state and over time, that might lead courts to allow businesses to make some decisions based on age that they would not allow based on the usual classes of protection.

This is only a guess, however; I don't claim any particular knowledge of relevant laws or precedents to support the idea.

Personally I think society needs to set an age for EVERYTHING, fighting in the military, drinking alcohol, smoking, having complete independence.
Like birth control pills for teenaged girls? Abortions?

Yeah I figured you'd have exceptions. Liberals always gave exceptions.

Exceptions?

I think that from the age of 18 onward females should be able to decide on whether they can get an abortion or have birth control.

Why?

They've looked at a problem and decided that they can play a little part in this.

Forum List

Back