Oregon wants to hit texting drivers with $2000 fine

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
I say lets also make text driving a felony with all the consequent loss of rights and job opportunities that entails. Text driving is super-violent and far worse than things like tax evasion or drug possession that are routinely charged as felonies.

Tough Talk-and-Text Deal for Drivers: A $2,000 Fine

Wednesday, 13 Feb 2013 11:54 AM

Motorists in Oregon who text while they drive may soon pay dearly for it — with lawmakers mulling a whopping $2000 fine for offenders.

"You don't have to drive much to see people texting," state Sen. President Peter Courtney told The Oregonian newspaper. "It's everywhere. It's going on all the time. It's just unbelievable."

Two bills to boost fines have been introduced in the legislature as statistics show hundreds of car accidents are the result of people texting on their cellphones or chatting on them without using a hands-free device.

Four years ago, Oregon passed a law slapping drivers who text or talk with a maximum $500 penalty. But there’s a good chance that amount will be substantially boosted to at least $1,000 and as much as $2,000.

It is the same as if not worse than drunk driving.
This should be a law in all 50 states

I'm all for harshly penalizing people who cause accidents while they are playing on their stupid phones.

I'm all for harshly penalizing people who cause accidents while they are playing on their stupid phones.

Laws can be as harsh as you can make them. Once the law is passed people will know what the punishment is.

a $50 fine is something to laugh at. A $2,000 fine? not so much.

• Banned

We need to get rid of all these electronic toys in cars. No internet access or GPS or even radios - at least not while the car is moving.

Increase the fine and add some time in the pokey. People who text while driving are waaay beyond stupid.

Observed a texting woman smash her big SUV into the steel piping and whatnot of a shopping cart return area in a Costco parking lot recently. Apparently her attention to texting lead her to believe it was an open parking spot, until her deploying airbag jammed her phone into her boobs. Her comments/bitching afterwards were priceless. Sort of along the lines of, "Who's idea was it to put THAT damn thing there..."

We need to get rid of all these electronic toys in cars. No internet access or GPS or even radios - at least not while the car is moving.

I think the radio comment is going too far. You can have the radio on the entire time you're driving and not touch it. I have a perfect driving record and listen to the radio each and every time I drive.

What's the penalty for scrolling through an i pod while driving?

Drinking coffee while driving

Applying make up while driving

Shaving while driving

Eating while driving

Etc.

I say lets also make text driving a felony with all the consequent loss of rights and job opportunities that entails. Text driving is super-violent and far worse than things like tax evasion or drug possession that are routinely charged as felonies.

Motorists in Oregon who text while they drive may soon pay dearly for it — with lawmakers mulling a whopping $2000 fine for offenders.

"You don't have to drive much to see people texting," state Sen. President Peter Courtney told The Oregonian newspaper. "It's everywhere. It's going on all the time. It's just unbelievable."

Two bills to boost fines have been introduced in the legislature as statistics show hundreds of car accidents are the result of people texting on their cellphones or chatting on them without using a hands-free device.

Four years ago, Oregon passed a law slapping drivers who text or talk with a maximum $500 penalty. But there’s a good chance that amount will be substantially boosted to at least $1,000 and as much as $2,000.

Meh, a class 1 misdemeanor in VA is 12 months and/or a $2,500 fine. Other class ones are reckless driving, DUI, driving on suspended license. I think it's appropriate to put texting in this class.

Typically, you never see maximum penalties applied, but if a texter kills someone with their driving you wouldn't want to see him walk with a $500 fine and 7 days in jail.

Shaving while driving

Eating while driving

Etc.

Depends on your state's distracted driving law. There is usually something specific for not taking due care when driving. Then you can go to improper driving and reckless driving if the facts warrant it. (and the state doesn't have a law specifically related to the act observed).

Shaving while driving

Eating while driving

Etc.

Depends on your state's distracted driving law. There is usually something specific for not taking due care when driving. Then you can go to improper driving and reckless driving if the facts warrant it. (and the state doesn't have a law specifically related to the act observed).

Just sayin' that it's impossible to stop so called distracted driving.

Shaving while driving

Eating while driving

Etc.

Just sayin' that it's impossible to stop so called distracted driving.

Our traffic is so bad here you can see people doing just about anything while driving. Some one called into a radio show here and said they saw someone playing the trumpet and driving. :eek:

So what would your sentence be for someone speeding while texting, doing drugs, and evading taxes at the same time?

I think the radio comment is going too far. You can have the radio on the entire time you're driving and not touch it. I have a perfect driving record and listen to the radio each and every time I drive.

Nobody does that. Everybody plays with the radio while driving.

I think the person should be banned from having a cell device for at least 1 year as well.
Be banned with all the wireless carriers.

Forum List

Back