Oregon wants to hit texting drivers with $2000 fine

Gaybiker thinks that grand juries determine whether or not someone gets the death penalty.

His legal acumen is not quite up to "eagle" standards...

There are more texters in Oregon than their are drivers.

The logical conclusion to the problem is to levy a texting surtax to cover the cost of medical care for those injured by texters who happen to be driving.

HAHAHA. Do you also want to legalize drunk driving and just raise everyone's taxes to cover the enormous medical costs due to drunk drivers??

You criminal coddling liberals are priceless!!!

Do they sell texting in bars?

No.

It is the right wing fascist state that demands this stuff.

What's the penalty for scrolling through an i pod while driving?

Drinking coffee while driving

Applying make up while driving

Shaving while driving

Eating while driving

Etc.
In many states, police have the discretion to cite a motorist for "distracted driving"...All of the above are examples.

We need to get rid of all these electronic toys in cars. No internet access or GPS or even radios - at least not while the car is moving.

I think the radio comment is going too far. You can have the radio on the entire time you're driving and not touch it. I have a perfect driving record and listen to the radio each and every time I drive.

Nobody does that. Everybody plays with the radio while driving.

You come up with a good idea then you take it to a level of absurdity.

I agree. Further, texting requires both an active concentration and extensive manipulation which severely impairs one's ability to drive safely. Listening to a radio is passive activity at best.

I give up. You don't even understand the issue. It's not the listening it's ; it's taking your eyes off the road to change the station.

Honda Pilot has a button to change stations on the steering wheel, at about the ten o'clock position. You use your thumb to change the station, eyes never leave the road, hand(s) never leave the wheel. All cars should have this.

SHoot speeders must not be aware that car radios are no longer made with manual push buttons. Oh 8 tracks are passe as well.

I agree. Further, texting requires both an active concentration and extensive manipulation which severely impairs one's ability to drive safely. Listening to a radio is passive activity at best.

I give up. You don't even understand the issue. It's not the listening it's ; it's taking your eyes off the road to change the station.

Honda Pilot has a button to change stations on the steering wheel, at about the ten o'clock position. You use your thumb to change the station, eyes never leave the road, hand(s) never leave the wheel. All cars should have this.

So do a lot of other models. In fact most mid priced cars have this feature.

Shaving while driving

Eating while driving

Etc.
In many states, police have the discretion to cite a motorist for "distracted driving"...All of the above are examples.

Yeah, but it's tough to get convictions for such vague charges.

Shaving while driving

Eating while driving

Etc.

Yeah, but it's tough to get convictions for such vague charges.

Let's see....New York. Maryland, New Jersey....All three have "No hand held device" laws.
I have friends the live in SC. In their county, the magistrates have a zero tolerance policy for Distracted driving violations.
To state that it is "tough to get convictions" is tantamount to throwing in the towel.
I see no ambiguity. It is incumbent upon law enforcement people and judges to make sure those charged pay fines for their transgressions.

Forum List

Back