Over or Under?

JohnDB

Platinum Member
Jun 16, 2021
Ok....hauling some heavy stuff by truck about 500+miles.
I'm going to need to strap it down with the 3 inch 3500lb ratchet straps...

Since it all has a nice SS finish....got some blankets to go over it all.

And I can't remember if straps go over blankets or under....

Anyone able to help?

Seriously?

If you put the blankets OVER, they will fly off.
It's an enclosed box truck.
Apparently you don't do a lot of heavy work. Or you mess things up when you do.
I'm worried that the vibration will cause scuffing and I can't remember if it's blankets that scatch when strapped tight or if it's the straps that will. I got new ones...and I can't remember the rule. Been a while since I did this.

I'm worried that the vibration will cause scuffing and I can't remember if it's blankets that scatch when strapped tight or if it's the straps that will. I got new ones...and I can't remember the rule. Been a while since I did this.

1648600663008.png

1648600722621.png

You left out that little piece of IMPORTANT information!

If you don't want the straps to rub on the finish of the item, then you cover them in blankets first.
Duh.

Otherwise, the blankets going over the straps is no use, unless it's to keep them from getting dusty.

Ok....hauling some heavy stuff by truck about 500+miles.
I'm going to need to strap it down with the 3 inch 3500lb ratchet straps...

Since it all has a nice SS finish....got some blankets to go over it all.

And I can't remember if straps go over blankets or under....

Anyone able to help?
I recommend that you drive carefully.

Yeah...need ourselves and the equipment in one piece when we get home...and there's some weather predicted for our trip. It's the spring...tornado type stuff everywhere.

If you want to protect the finish of the item being strapped down you put the blankets under the straps to reduce the friction of the straps against the object

If you want to protect the finish of the item being strapped down you put the blankets under the straps to reduce the friction of the straps against the object
I know that it would seem obvious...but I'm remembering something about some kind of soft thing used for padding that rubbed off the finish on a long trip.
I know Styrofoam won't damage a finish but I can't remember what else. Cardboard is usually bad for finishes....

So we'll just use blankets and straps and see what happens tomorrow

Depends which way my barrels are choked. If the top is full choke and the bottom modified (trap) Then, "under". If I miss with modified I can take the longer shot with the full choke. THat's home shooting, fun shooting. Trap club, 1 shot only.

Yeah...need ourselves and the equipment in one piece when we get home...and there's some weather predicted for our trip. It's the spring...tornado type stuff everywhere.
Also don't fallaciously consider it an either/or proposition in the first place.

Forum List

Back