Pa. judge upholds sale of widow's home over $6 tax bill

CaféAuLait;9011585 said:
If I had worked there that bill would have been paid out of my own pocket, before they auctioned her home.

she received several notices

and it looks like she owed much more the six dollars

five years of unpaid property taxes

out here anyway once a property goes into state lien

(after five years of delinquent taxes)

all taxes must be paid in full to stop the sale

from the link

Tax records show that as of last week she has an outstanding balance of more than $20,000, including penalties and interest, for county, municipal and school taxes from 2009 to 2013.

CaféAuLait;9018091 said:
Yes it is justified. She had plenty of time to pay the bill. She chose to ignore it. What is silly is losing your home over a five spot.

or she never opens her mail.

They should have to get her in court - appearing before a judge in person - before such confiscation.

A letter does not mean that she knew anything and the sale of a property for taxes 1/50,000th of the value is utterly asinine. they should have repossessed her couch and sold that.

The guy who bought her home at auction has offered to sell it back to her.

For 260,000 dollars. :mad: He won't even offer it to her for the amount he paid, 116,000, Asshole.

Widow Loses House Over $6.30 Tax Bill - Forbes

i dont see why he would

i would see it less likely now that she has sued him

CaféAuLait;9011550 said:

A Pennsylvania county judge has again ruled against a widow who lost her home because of an unpaid $6.30 interest charge for paying her school taxes late.

Beaver County Common Pleas Judge Gus Kwidis ruled that Eileen Battisti, of Aliquippa, was properly notified about the September 2011 tax sale of her home, which was valued at about $280,000 and sold at auction for $116,000. The decision last Tuesday followed an evidentiary hearing ordered by a higher court, which last April overturned his earlier ruling upholding the sale.

Flippin ridiculous. Come on. 6 bucks, they auctioned her 280,000 dollars home for 116,000 dollars over a 6 dollar bill?

Then you have people like the Welfare King, Bundy sitting on his million dollar ranch with a Million Dollar Tax Bill.

CaféAuLait;9018091 said:

They should have to get her in court - appearing before a judge in person - before such confiscation.

A letter does not mean that she knew anything and the sale of a property for taxes 1/50,000th of the value is utterly asinine. they should have repossessed her couch and sold that.

For 260,000 dollars. :mad: He won't even offer it to her for the amount he paid, 116,000, Asshole.

He offered to sell it at the value of the property. Nothing wrong with that.

^^ Asshole.

sounds like she couldn't afford the home. i feel bad for her, but surely she was notified of the pending sale before the house hit the auction block

Legally, it is justified
They met the notification standards

Morally, it is wrong. What does it take to pick up the phone? Stop by her house? I would have paid it out of my own pocket

It would seem in this case that someones common sense left the building long ago. Having said that , she could not manage to come up with 6 dollars over a few years to pay for her tax bill? I know when my property tax is due they have no problems with finding my mailbox. It would seem with home ownership comes the responsibility of that ownership and that includes paying all the bills for it. While I deeply feel bad for this woman and her situation in the end perhaps she should have made sure her property taxes were paid and as for the Judge in this case lets just say that while yes following the law is a good thing, not using a little common sense and selling a home for a 6 dollar back tax bill is a little much.

CaféAuLait;9011550 said:

A Pennsylvania county judge has again ruled against a widow who lost her home because of an unpaid $6.30 interest charge for paying her school taxes late.

Beaver County Common Pleas Judge Gus Kwidis ruled that Eileen Battisti, of Aliquippa, was properly notified about the September 2011 tax sale of her home, which was valued at about $280,000 and sold at auction for $116,000. The decision last Tuesday followed an evidentiary hearing ordered by a higher court, which last April overturned his earlier ruling upholding the sale.

Flippin ridiculous. Come on. 6 bucks, they auctioned her 280,000 dollars home for 116,000 dollars over a 6 dollar bill?

Then you have people like the Welfare King, Bundy sitting on his million dollar ranch with a Million Dollar Tax Bill.

He doesn't have a tax bill at all.

It would seem in this case that someones common sense left the building long ago. Having said that , she could not manage to come up with 6 dollars over a few years to pay for her tax bill? I know when my property tax is due they have no problems with finding my mailbox. It would seem with home ownership comes the responsibility of that ownership and that includes paying all the bills for it. While I deeply feel bad for this woman and her situation in the end perhaps she should have made sure her property taxes were paid and as for the Judge in this case lets just say that while yes following the law is a good thing, not using a little common sense and selling a home for a 6 dollar back tax bill is a little much.

This was her 2008 taxes she paid late with a 6 dollar balance. She was sent a bill for her 2009 taxes which she paid, when she paid them, she got a receipt stating her taxes were paid full.

Why didn't the county carry the balance over from the previous year? It makes sense if you owe 6 dollars to tack it onto the 2009 taxes.

Last edited:
CaféAuLait;9018091 said:

Callous asshole

It's not that she didn't have six bucks -- what they're saying is she didn't know about the discrepancy (again she's recently widowed and the husband apparently used to take care of all this). I recently got pulled over and cited for an out-of-date registration, again a bill was due that the state never notified me of. They didn't take my car and sell it over that but still, it was the state that dropped the ball. This case is even worse. It's like being set up.

CaféAuLait;9018212 said:
CaféAuLait;9018091 said:

Oh, please. Humanity is lost. This woman lost her husband to death and was left with 3 children to raise alone. Her sons best friend was murdered , she and her daughter were in a bad accident, and she was out out work for sometime due to the injury. All under a 4 year period.

The man paid 116,000, so yeah there is something wrong with that, he is a greedy asshole, period. She is supposed to get 109,000, back at least he could have a heart and ask what he paid and if he really needed his interest that would be fair as well.

It makes no sense at all she paid her 2009 ( due in 2010) taxes and did not bother to add in the 6 dollars still owed from 2008. It was obvious she did not know she owed still for 2008 ( due in 2009) when paying the 2009 (due in 2010) taxes in full.

Why didn't the county add the 6 dollar past due amount to her 2009 taxes?

Because if they HAD, some politician's relative couldn't have picked up her house for half of what it's worth!

I don't have much sympathy for people who don't pay their bills.

Anyone and I do mean anyone can come up with 6 bucks in a NY minute.

I don't have much sympathy for people who don't pay their bills.

Anyone and I do mean anyone can come up with 6 bucks in a NY minute.

Why didn't the county tack on the 6 dollars she owed from 2008 when she was billed and paid for her 2009 taxes? Why would she pay nearly 4k in 2009 and refuse to pay for 6 dollars from 2008? Makes no damn sense.

Forum List

Back