Pa. judge upholds sale of widow's home over $6 tax bill

Sorry bout that,

1. Would not be surprised if she went down there to city hall and started shooting government officials either.
2. What they have done is criminal.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

No he is a businessman.

Can I ask what kind of businessman are you
if you would allow someone to sell your house back to you
if you never agreed to have the govt seize it and sell it in the first place?

Sorry if I misunderstood.

If you want to set up a bullring thread
I would be glad to challenge you
and bet your house that you would object
* if the govt took your house and sold it without your consent
* and expected you to buy it back at full price

Wouldn't you argue that you didn't receive notice
and would rather pay the 200+ in back taxes and late fees?

Most business minded people would fight that in court.

Would you really go along with the govt's assertion that
it is your fault you didn't receive or respond to notices?

Wouldn't you fight for your right to notice, due process,
and opportunity to fix the mistake by paying off the delinquent amount?

Somehow, Politico, we must be talking about different points of information.

I don't see how you could agree to this,
unless you are purely discussing the "legal option" the
buyer has of selling the house at whatever price he sets?

Can you admit if you were the woman in this case,
you would fight legally to pay the owed amount to maintain ownership
BEFORE you would buy the house back at full price?

He's in the business of trolling.

It's sad, his posts used to be at least reasonable, but he's hit the skids lately.

Beaver County's top solicitor defended the decision.

"The county never wants to see anybody lose their home, but at the same time the tax sale law, the tax real estate law, doesn't give a whole lot of room for error, either," Joe Askar told AP.

Hang him and hang the judge, too

These guys ARE crooks.

Losing money makes you ans asshole. Who knew?

How is breaking even losing money?

It is called doing the right thing

He didn't buy the property to do the right thing. He bought it to make money. If you have such a hard on for doing the 'right thing' you should step up and quit telling everyone else what to do.

And yet, the welfare rancher should get away with not paying his highly discounted, tax-subsidized grazing fees for more than 20 years.

He didn't buy the property to do the right thing. He bought it to make money. If you have such a hard on for doing the 'right thing' you should step up and quit telling everyone else what to do.

And yet, the welfare rancher should get away with not paying his highly discounted, tax-subsidized grazing fees for more than 20 years.

Like I said, she should call on Bundy's militia and have them at her home to prevent the government from taking it.

CaféAuLait;9021377 said:
It would seem in this case that someones common sense left the building long ago. Having said that , she could not manage to come up with 6 dollars over a few years to pay for her tax bill? I know when my property tax is due they have no problems with finding my mailbox. It would seem with home ownership comes the responsibility of that ownership and that includes paying all the bills for it. While I deeply feel bad for this woman and her situation in the end perhaps she should have made sure her property taxes were paid and as for the Judge in this case lets just say that while yes following the law is a good thing, not using a little common sense and selling a home for a 6 dollar back tax bill is a little much.

This was her 2008 taxes she paid late with a 6 dollar balance. She was sent a bill for her 2009 taxes which she paid, when she paid them, she got a receipt stating her taxes were paid full.

Why didn't the county carry the balance over from the previous year? It makes sense if you owe 6 dollars to tack it onto the 2009 taxes.

One of the reasons why I suggested that common sense in this case left the building a long time ago. All along the way and even as you suggest in the local property tax office , to the woman not keeping track of her tax bill, to the judge in the case. Applying a little common sense in this case would have led to a far more easy conclusion and I might suggest a less costly one for the woman herself as well as the tax payers in her county who had to foot the bill for all the administration of this over 6 dollars.

CaféAuLait said:
Flippin ridiculous. Come on. 6 bucks, they auctioned her 280,000 dollars home for 116,000 dollars over a 6 dollar bill?
Indeed..... COLLECTING TAXS IS NOT LEGAL ANYWAY!!!! (Its a scam to get ppl to give the GOVT $$$$$ they dont deserve) Not an offical law!!!!!!!

You hate the rancher we get it. We are not talking about him. Focus.

CaféAuLait;9011550 said:

A Pennsylvania county judge has again ruled against a widow who lost her home because of an unpaid $6.30 interest charge for paying her school taxes late.

Beaver County Common Pleas Judge Gus Kwidis ruled that Eileen Battisti, of Aliquippa, was properly notified about the September 2011 tax sale of her home, which was valued at about $280,000 and sold at auction for $116,000. The decision last Tuesday followed an evidentiary hearing ordered by a higher court, which last April overturned his earlier ruling upholding the sale.

Flippin ridiculous. Come on. 6 bucks, they auctioned her 280,000 dollars home for 116,000 dollars over a 6 dollar bill?

She would have had plenty of warning. She refused to pay the six dollars, she suffers the consequences.

CaféAuLait;9011550 said:

A Pennsylvania county judge has again ruled against a widow who lost her home because of an unpaid $6.30 interest charge for paying her school taxes late.

Beaver County Common Pleas Judge Gus Kwidis ruled that Eileen Battisti, of Aliquippa, was properly notified about the September 2011 tax sale of her home, which was valued at about $280,000 and sold at auction for $116,000. The decision last Tuesday followed an evidentiary hearing ordered by a higher court, which last April overturned his earlier ruling upholding the sale.

She would have had plenty of warning. She refused to pay the six dollars, she suffers the consequences.

She never refused to pay 6 dollars. She paid her 2008 taxes late, resulting in the 6 dollar fee. A year later she paid her 2009 taxes a few days late as well, paying nearly 4,000 including late fees and getting a "paid in full" taxes receipt. Any reasonable person would assume the late penalty from 2008 would have been carried over to the 2009 taxes she paid. They put her home up several months after paying her 2009 taxes in full due to the 6 dollar fee from 2008.

Last edited:
CaféAuLait;9011550 said:

Huh??

Where does it say she "refused"? How is "not knowing about" equivalent to "refusing"?

wow! i guess i foolishly thought that the State could only put a lien on ones home if they didn't pay their property tax.....had no idea that a State could just auction off your home....Is this by State? Is it a State's own law that allows this...? Each State being different with their laws regarding this....?

Regardless, what a HUGE injustice with this particular situation! it's just wrong....on so many levels....

wow! i guess i foolishly thought that the State could only put a lien on ones home if they didn't pay their property tax.....had no idea that a State could just auction off your home....Is this by State? Is it a State's own law that allows this...? Each State being different with their laws regarding this....?

Regardless, what a HUGE injustice with this particular situation! it's just wrong....on so many levels....

Yes, its by the state. I was reading an article which showed many towns are doing it due to needing money, Ill try to find the article.

they certainly can and do

i have bought more then one house that way

I know in our neighborhood several years ago some people didn't pay their taxes and their home was sold out from under them, they didn't even know about it until they received an eviction notice.

Again, one year I'd failed to pay our taxes. I somehow thought I had paid them. The only way I found out they weren't paid was when my mortgage company informed us. I hate to think what would have happened if the mortgage was paid off.

This is criminal and never should have happened. How do you lose your home for unpaid taxes when your taxes are "paid in full" a year later??!!??

Carpetbaggers. That's what this reminds me of, and while I understand people taking advantage of the deal, it's still criminal. Makes it easy when you don't know the people who's house you are taking, doesn't it?

Carpetbaggers. That's what this reminds me of, and while I understand people taking advantage of the deal, it's still criminal. Makes it easy when you don't know the people who's house you are taking, doesn't it?

Its criminal for the state – they are the ones that took the property. There is nothing wrong with purchasing the property back from the state. In most cases, those properties were rightfully taken – when we are talking about sums of money that warrant such action. These cases are (as far as I know) pretty rare with the individual owing almost nothing and the state still taking the property. I would much prefer something like this have to go before a jury – there is not a snowballs chance in hell that a jury would uphold a seizure of a 200K asset for a 6 dollar bill. That really is the entire point of a jury – to not only find guilt but also ensure that the particular law is justifiable.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back