Packers at Seahawks

BluePhantom

Educator (of liberals)
Nov 11, 2011
Portland, OR / Salem, OR
What a great match up in the NFC Championship. Both teams deserve enormous respect. Let's break the game down starting fairly generally and then zooming in on specific points of interest. I am a Hawks fan since 1976 so I will admit bias right off the bat but hopefully I won't be too bad.

Seahawks Offense vs. Packers Defense (Seattle listed first then Green Bay)

1st in rushing yards (2,762) vs 23rd (1,919)
2nd in rushing attempts per game (32.8) vs. 23rd (28.1)
1st in yards per attempt (5.3) vs. 20th (4.3)
1st in rushing TDs (20) vs. T14th (11)
T20th in fumbles lost (2) vs. 3rd (5)
1st in rushing DVOA (29.9) vs. 24th (-3.7)

27th in passing yards (3,250) vs. 10th (3,623)
32nd in pass attempts (454) vs. 22nd (564)
15th in completion percentage (63.2%) vs. 7th (59.0%)
6th in yards per attempt (7.7) vs. T10th (6.9)
T22nd in passing TDs (20) vs. T17th (26)
30th in interceptions (7) vs. T7th (18)
T12th sacks (42) vs. T9th (41)
8th in quarterback rating (95.1) vs. 7th (82.1)
10th in passing DVOA (19.6) vs. 11th (1.3)

1st in "explosive plays" (plays over 20 yards)
5th in total offensive DVOA (15.0) vs. 16th in total defensive DVOA (-1.0)

It comes as no surprise to anyone, I think, to expect Seattle to run the ball aggressively with a lot of success. It is Seattle's main offense threat and Green Bay's main defensive weakness. If the stats end up telling the tale, Seattle should be able to control the clock and keep Aaron Rodgers off the field for more ticks of the clock than the Packers would like. Seattle doesn't pass often but when they do they tend to get big gains. This is one of Coach Carroll's main philosophies; make explosive plays that blow the game wide open. Seattle does that better than any team in the league. Despite some lackluster overall passing numbers, their efficiency numbers (DVOA, quarterback rating, and completion percentage) are decent to very good. However, the Green Bay passing defense matches up quite well. If Green Bay can take Seattle out of their running game by scoring early and often, Seattle will have a difficult time winning the game. As a side note, Russell Wilson is the career leader in quarterback rating in the playoffs. In the big game, Wilson has a tendency to explode and Seahawks fans will insist that they have never seen him rattled.

Next: Green Bay Offense vs. Seattle Defense

Last edited:
It's going to be good. I'd go with the Seahawks. I'm just glad Dallas lost. I'm a Lions fan. I'm also glad Luck won. Fuck Manning. LOL. I wonder if he'll retire?

I'm also hoping OSU wins tonight even though being from Michigan I hate them so much. I just want a Big 10 team to win the title. It's been forever.

Green Bay Offense vs. Seattle Defense (Green Bay listed first then Seattle)

11th in rushing yards (1,917) vs 3rd (1,304)
14th in rushing attempts per game (27.2) vs. 4th (380)
10th in yards per attempt (4.4) vs. 2nd (3.4)
11th in rushing TDs (14) vs. T5th (8)
T12th in fumbles lost (3) vs. 3rd (5)
6th in rushing DVOA (5.1) vs. 2nd (-25.1)

8th in passing yards (4,261) vs. 1st (2,970)
20th in pass attempts (536) vs. 1st (507)
9th in completion percentage (65.1%) vs. 12th (61.7%)
2nd in yards per attempt (8.3) vs. 2nd (6.3)
3rd in passing TDs (38) vs. 2nd (17)
31st in interceptions (6) vs. T18th (13)
T21st sacks (30) vs. 20th (37)
2nd in quarterback rating (109.9) vs. 5th (80.4)
2nd in passing DVOA (46.5) vs. 3rd (-9.3)

1st in total offensive DVOA (24.6) vs. 1st in total defensive DVOA (-16.3)

Two things stand out at me. First is that everyone knows about Seattle's pass defense, but the rushing defense is just as good. Now these are stats for the full regular season and Seattle is without Brandon Mebane now so that will play a factor. Also, despite Seattle's reputation for outstanding pass defense they lead the league in pass attempts against. It's probably because late in the games, teams are forced to pass to catch up, but that surprised me. What also caught my eye was that despite the reputation as a passing team, Green Bay is statistically far more balanced between the pass and rush than one would think. Clearly they choose to pass first but they are certainly able to run the ball when they wish; kind of the opposite of Seattle who can pass when they wish but prefer to run. Historically, when teams try to pass against Seattle it does not go well for them. In Seattle's losses recently you most often see the other team having success on the ground and controlling the clock. I see this match up the same way and I suggest that Green Bay stands the best chance of winning by having the balls to commit to a run first offense. Why is that ballsy? Because, as they say "ya dance with the one who brung ya" and that would be Aaron Rodgers. Does Green Bay have the stones to resist the urge to throw and pound the rock instead? I think that will ultimately be the deciding factor in this game, even moreso than just shutting down Lynch. Historically, if a team shuts down Lynch, Wilson will pick them apart and vice versa. So Seattle will get theirs but they can limit Seattle's explosiveness on offense and defense by keeping the ball on the ground. If they do that and have success, I think Green Bay probably wins. As counter-intuitive as it seems, if Seattle forces Green Bay to throw (or they just do the Seahawks the favor of doing it by choice), I don't see how Green Bay can win.

I predict: Seahawks 27 - 20

Two things stand out at me. First is that everyone knows about Seattle's pass defense, but the rushing defense is just as good. Now these are stats for the full regular season and Seattle is without Brandon Mebane now so that will play a factor. Also, despite Seattle's reputation for outstanding pass defense they lead the league in pass attempts against. It's probably because late in the games, teams are forced to pass to catch up, but that surprised me. What also caught my eye was that despite the reputation as a passing team, Green Bay is statistically far more balanced between the pass and rush than one would think. Clearly they choose to pass first but they are certainly able to run the ball when they wish; kind of the opposite of Seattle who can pass when they wish but prefer to run. Historically, when teams try to pass against Seattle it does not go well for them. In Seattle's losses recently you most often see the other team having success on the ground and controlling the clock. I see this match up the same way and I suggest that Green Bay stands the best chance of winning by having the balls to commit to a run first offense. Why is that ballsy? Because, as they say "ya dance with the one who brung ya" and that would be Aaron Rodgers. Does Green Bay have the stones to resist the urge to throw and pound the rock instead? I think that will ultimately be the deciding factor in this game, even moreso than just shutting down Lynch. Historically, if a team shuts down Lynch, Wilson will pick them apart and vice versa. So Seattle will get theirs but they can limit Seattle's explosiveness on offense and defense by keeping the ball on the ground. If they do that and have success, I think Green Bay probably wins. As counter-intuitive as it seems, if Seattle forces Green Bay to throw (or they just do the Seahawks the favor of doing it by choice), I don't see how Green Bay can win.

I think you are being much too kind to the Packers here with the score.

I see this game as being another blowout just like last time.Remember Green Bay is 23rd against the run and Murray ran for over a hundred yards against them sunday.They lost because Romo doesnt play very well in the cold and is not used to it like green bay is and the cowgirls secondary is not near as good as the seahawks.

On top of that Rodgers will be entering the game playing on one leg again.He got away with it sunday since dallas had to deal with the crowd noise and Romo is not used to throwing in the cold.

Rodgers will be even more banged up this time around and that spells gloom and doom for the pack.He has a hard enough time beating them when he is completely healthy and this time he is entering playing on one leg having to deal with that crowd noise that caused his offensive line so many problems last time?

with all that to deal with I dont see anything other than another blowout again. so you been a Hawks fan since 76 huh? You will be Huggys best friend around here.:biggrin:

I always liked the hawks back when they had Jim Zorn and would watch them from time to time back then but I never really enjoyed watching them till carrol and wilson came along.I always thought carrol got cheated and treated badly by the pats him getting fired when Bledsoe was the one that should have been fired so i was happy to see him get wilson and succeed in seattle and be on the verge of their second superbowl title with two victorys away from doing so.

Last edited:
It's going to be good. I'd go with the Seahawks. I'm just glad Dallas lost. I'm a Lions fan. I'm also glad Luck won. Fuck Manning. LOL. I wonder if he'll retire?

I'm also hoping OSU wins tonight even though being from Michigan I hate them so much. I just want a Big 10 team to win the title. It's been forever.
yeah the ONLY thing that would have made it a perfect weekend for me would have been if Belecheat and the cheatriots had lost as well. The ravens were playing with a banged up secondary so maybe the colts will do better this week and known them out as well.dont think that will happen though.I dont trust andrew luck against the pats.they have been blown out by them everytime they have faced them.

the thing that could favor them though is the pats starting center is out so that will help them.

I see this game as being another blowout just like last time.Remember Green Bay is 23rd against the run and Murray ran for over a hundred yards against them sunday.They lost because Romo doesnt play very well in the cold and is not used to it like green bay is and the cowgirls secondary is not near as good as the seahawks.

On top of that Rodgers will be entering the game playing on one leg again.He got away with it sunday since dallas had to deal with the crowd noise and Romo is not used to throwing in the cold.

Rodgers will be even more banged up this time around and that spells gloom and doom for the pack.He has a hard enough time beating them when he is completely healthy and this time he is entering playing on one leg having to deal with that crowd noise that caused his offensive line so many problems last time?

with all that to deal with I dont see anything other than another blowout again. so you been a Hawks fan since 76 huh? You will be Huggys best friend around here.:biggrin:

I always liked the hawks back when they had Jim Zorn and would watch them from time to time back then but I never really enjoyed watching them till carrol and wilson came along.I always thought carrol got cheated and treated badly by the pats him getting fired when Bledsoe was the one that should have been fired so i was happy to see him get wilson and succeed in seattle and be on the verge of their second superbowl title with two victorys away from doing so.

Yeah it's a good point regarding Rodgers' leg. I generally try to pick scores conservatively. I guess I would say that I would be FAR more surprised if Seattle got blown out than if Green Bay got blown out. In my mind it's harder to predict Seattle's score than Green Bay's because when Seattle blows a team out it's usually because there were a lot of turnovers and those are so hard to predict.

Yeah it's a good point regarding Rodgers' leg. I generally try to pick scores conservatively. I guess I would say that I would be FAR more surprised if Seattle got blown out than if Green Bay got blown out. In my mind it's harder to predict Seattle's score than Green Bay's because when Seattle blows a team out it's usually because there were a lot of turnovers and those are so hard to predict.

From talking to you,you dont sound ignorant about what goes on in football outside of the world of the seahawks like two other seahawk fans here are whose names i wont mention..

they look at facts when it concerns the seahawks but anything outside of that,they refuse to look at the facts of other NFL teams and its like talking to a brick wall with them.

I am hoping you are not ignorant like they are about a certain NFL team i wont mention here because i will get accused of making multiple threads on it if i do. you dont seem to be so thankfully,you are not liek them it appears.

I made another one on the subject not too long ago i admit but it was only cause i figured if i posted it on my thread,i would not get an answer from them out of it.made no difference though since aposter here named pooper went and whined to the mods about it.,they played dodgeball with me on that same as well though so it did no good.they are too arrogant to admit when they have been proven wrong.:rolleyes-41:

that being the case,check your pm box so i can ask you the question about this one NFL team that you are more open minded about hopefully than these two nuts are here at USMB.

From talking to you,you dont sound ignorant about what goes on in football outside of the world of the seahawks like two other seahawk fans here are whose names i wont mention..

they look at facts when it concerns the seahawks but anything outside of that,they refuse to look at the facts of other NFL teams and its like talking to a brick wall with them.

I am hoping you are not ignorant like they are about a certain NFL team i wont mention here because i will get accused of making multiple threads on it if i do. you dont seem to be so thankfully,you are not liek them it appears.

I made another one on the subject not too long ago i admit but it was only cause i figured if i posted it on my thread,i would not get an answer from them out of it.made no difference though since aposter here named pooper went and whined to the mods about it.,they played dodgeball with me on that same as well though so it did no good.they are too arrogant to admit when they have been proven wrong.:rolleyes-41:

that being the case,check your pm box so i can ask you the question about this one NFL team that you are more open minded about hopefully than these two nuts are here at USMB.

Oh I am a homer. LOL. Make no mistake about that. I just like to know when I am being a homer and when I have some statistical basis for my homerism. Seriously though, it seems absurd to me to discredit another team. Every team has something they do well and (I know it's cliche but...) on any given Sunday anything can happen. Green Bay lost to the Bills. Seattle lost to the Rams. If they can lose to those two teams each of them can sure as hell lose to the other (although the Bills and Rams are in my opinion better than most people give them credit for).

Well you know Huggy is a 12. Huggy and I can disagree about politics, religion, and between the two of us we can get into some knock down drag outs....but we are both 12's so no matter what at the end of the argument we are going to end it by saying "GO HAWKS!" and that's just the culture of the 12s. If someone is on Huggy's ass I am going to have his back because that is what 12s do. I might tear his ass later in private but in public...you protect the 12. That is Seahawks culture. Huggy undertands.

GO HAWKS!!!!!

Well you know Huggy is a 12. Huggy and I can disagree about politics, religion, and between the two of us we can get into some knock down drag outs....but we are both 12's so no matter what at the end of the argument we are going to end it by saying "GO HAWKS!" and that's just the culture of the 12s. If someone is on Huggy's ass I am going to have his back because that is what 12s do. I might tear his ass later in private but in public...you protect the 12. That is Seahawks culture. Huggy undertands.

GO HAWKS!!!!!

I wish I would have read this post BEFORE I wrote that other one this morning.. :lol:

Honestly ???? I always thought that "12" thing was kinda stupid. Ya I guess I am a 12 sort of. I just hate to be a member of anything. I've avoided it all my life.

When the team started up there were no such things as 12's. That was a Texas college thing that caught on here and had some history even long before that.

The Hawks retired the 12 jersey in 84. We purchased the right to the name 12th man from the Texas school to shut up the whiners that claimed they did it first.

I don't remember the exact time it was used in context with the Seahawks.

Now GO HAWKS !!!!! I've used from day uno.

If Y'all ever were ever on the nets in the beginning and bothered to get involved with the Seahawks dot com original site ...I was "Your Daddy" and unofficially/officially the elected president of the site. We had several elections and I won all of them. Soooo...I guess I can claim at least some little part of the history of being a Seahawk fan. But the team started long before the internets and the Seahawk's original site wasn't even moderated so I'm sure many good fans didn't participate for fear of seeing more swear words per sentence than probably anywhere on the internets.. :lol:

Oh I am a homer. LOL. Make no mistake about that. I just like to know when I am being a homer and when I have some statistical basis for my homerism. Seriously though, it seems absurd to me to discredit another team. Every team has something they do well and (I know it's cliche but...) on any given Sunday anything can happen. Green Bay lost to the Bills. Seattle lost to the Rams. If they can lose to those two teams each of them can sure as hell lose to the other (although the Bills and Rams are in my opinion better than most people give them credit for).
The Bills have a good defense and could be a contender in the AFC its just they have the same problem the jets do,dont have a quarterback as do the rams as well which is why i fail to understand WHY Ryan would want the Bills job since he will have the same problem there he has with the jets,a team he cant build on cause he has no quarterback.:cuckoo:

Thats the only reason the seahawks are successful like they are because carrol and schnieder went out and got themselves a quarterback. Carrol had built the team that he wanted there in seattle and had all ingrediants in place for a championship team except for one,the quarterback position.His first two years there he had no quarterback and knew he needed one to be a serious contender.

Him and schneider had finished their puzzle except for one piece missing so it wasnt complete yet his first two years.wilson was the missing piece to the puzzle and the puzzle finally got compete when he made wilson the starter his first year.

Last edited:

GO HAWKS!!!!!

true enough,12's like you two need to make up in the end after your heated discussions in politics ect ect,.cause you 12's need to stick together.lol.

speaking of that, the superbowl between the hawks and HOPEFULLY the colts,but probably will be the patriots,the site of the superbowl will be a major advantage for the seahawks in repeating since it will feel like a home game for them since it will be played in arizona which this time wont be a long flight for them being on the west coast and all.

those games in the desert are almost always home games for them anyways there with half the crowd making those games being hawks fans.lol

Seattle, 27-20.....Sounds about right.

well so much for the seahawks repeating as superbowl champs.They are obviously going to go on to lose this game to the packers.im not even going to watch the superbowl..you have to assume it will be the cheatriots from the AFC so I cant stand either one of these teams the packers or the patriots that's why I really hate having to root for the packers to win the superbowl.Had the NFC championship loss been to the panthers,then it would not bug me losing to this game so much but god,i hate green bay.

not surprising they lost really,the last 7 opponents they played were against backup quarterbacks pretty much so it was no test for them during that strectch. not having Justin britt was a major blow to them as well.i never thought for a second he wouldn't start this game.It also looks like Rodgers had a miracle recovery.

I had a feeling at some point in the year not having percy harvin would cost them as it did today.very idiotic move by the seahawks as I said back then getting rid of him.yeah he was a headach to deal with and I had no problem with them getting rid of him because of that but as I said back then,the idiots whould have waited till AFTER the season was over.dumbshits.

not having harvin,they were not dangerous on kickoff returns anymore and it showed today as well as the fact harvin caused all kinds of problems for the packers the first time in their matchup and that was a major factor why they beat the packers so badly last time.

as the announcers said,the seahawks don't have a breakway threat at wide receiver like dez Bryant of the cowboys or Johnson of the Lions and it cost them today.

well so much for the seahawks repeating as superbowl champs.They are obviously going to go on to lose this game to the packers.im not even going to watch the superbowl..you have to assume it will be the cheatriots from the AFC so I cant stand either one of these teams the packers or the patriots that's why I really hate having to root for the packers to win the superbowl.Had the NFC championship loss been to the panthers,then it would not bug me losing to this game so much but god,i hate green bay.

not surprising they lost really,the last 7 opponents they played were against backup quarterbacks pretty much so it was no test for them during that strectch. not having Justin britt was a major blow to them as well.i never thought for a second he wouldn't start this game.It also looks like Rodgers had a miracle recovery.

I had a feeling at some point in the year not having percy harvin would cost them as it did today.very idiotic move by the seahawks as I said back then getting rid of him.yeah he was a headach to deal with and I had no problem with them getting rid of him because of that but as I said back then,the idiots whould have waited till AFTER the season was over.dumbshits.

not having harvin,they were not dangerous on kickoff returns anymore and it showed today as well as the fact harvin caused all kinds of problems for the packers the first time in their matchup and that was a major factor why they beat the packers so badly last time.

as the announcers said,the seahawks don't have a breakway threat at wide receiver like dez Bryant of the cowboys or Johnson of the Lions and it cost them today.
Over time Seattle gets the ball first. It ain't over yet.

damn.Looks like I got to eat my words now.I never in my wildest imaginations ever thought they had a prayer of coming back and winning this game.I dont think anybody in th country outside of the seahawk players themselves thought they had any prayer of winning this game when they were down two touhdowns late in the game.i mean,who on earth thought they would score two touchdowns in a span of 44 seconds to tie it up? wow,what a shocker.Looks like i WILL be watching the superbowl after all.lol I tip my hat to green bay they did a hell of a job controlling this game for most the day and gave the seahawks the biggest scare in their lie.

dewey-defeats-truman.jpg

dewey-defeats-truman.jpg

That guy you reference has jumped ship so many times that the boat has safe exit placards that just say "Follow 9/11" :lol:

Forum List

Back