Pentagon fails to find one dead soldier they can attribute to Assange

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016

One of the many peculiarities in this strange case is that the evidence for any such thing is non-existent. The Pentagon has admitted that it failed to find a single person covertly working for the US who had been killed as a result of the WikiLeaks disclosures. This failure was not for lack of trying: The Pentagon had set up a special military task force, deploying 120 counter-intelligence officers, to find at least one death that could be blamed on Assange and his colleagues but had found nothing.

That pretty much does it for me. I cant see how we can hand him over to the US. I dont partucularly want to keep him here but there are many countries who value a free press more than the Americans do. He will be fine in one of those.

This is just Earth shattering news. I can finally sleep at night knowing this. Thanks Thomas.

Like Snowden, Assange has been railroaded since Day One

One of the many peculiarities in this strange case is that the evidence for any such thing is non-existent. The Pentagon has admitted that it failed to find a single person covertly working for the US who had been killed as a result of the WikiLeaks disclosures. This failure was not for lack of trying: The Pentagon had set up a special military task force, deploying 120 counter-intelligence officers, to find at least one death that could be blamed on Assange and his colleagues but had found nothing.

That pretty much does it for me. I cant see how we can hand him over to the US. I dont partucularly want to keep him here but there are many countries who value a free press more than the Americans do. He will be fine in one of those.

“The Assange extradition case is an unprecedented attack on press freedom”

Actually not, no.

American Constitutional law holds that no right is ‘absolute’ or ‘unlimited’ – including the rights enshrined in the First Amendment.

The press is not at liberty to publish anything it so desires; First Amendment case law recognizes the authority of the government – consistent with that case law – to limit, restrict, or otherwise preempt that which the press seeks to publish.

The burden would rest with the government to demonstrate to a court that if certain information were published, it would place national security at risk – such as publishing troop movements that could jeopardize the lives of solders. If the government’s argument is compelling, the court will enjoin the press from publishing the information.

But Assange isn’t a US citizens, he doesn’t ‘publish’ in the United States, and he’s not subject to American courts; there’s no way to determine if what Assange wishes to publish is entitled to First Amendment protections or subject to lawful government preemption consistent with the Constitution.

Consequently, the Assange extradition case is an effort to intimidate and silence a critic of American foreign policy – and make an example of Assange to others who might also wish to do so.

But until such time as an American court rules otherwise, the government’s actions are not an attack on freedom of the press.

Hey Tommy. It's your leftist comrades in the Democratic Party who are obsessed with destroying Assange. Had Assange leaked damaging information about the GOP, Asange would be the star of his own Netflix series and an icon of the left.

Forum List

Back